August 2011 Moms
Options

Silly Q: Halloween in Colder Climates.

DH and I had a discussion last night about when children go trick or treating.   I told him that when I was a child (in California) we didn't go until it was already dark (probably 7-9ish).  He said that when he was a child (in Illinois) he went before dinner, and then made his way home when it started to get dark.

What did you do as a child? Do people in different states go at different times depending on how cold it gets at  night? 

Question: Should I anticipate my trick or treaters in  Virginia close to 5 to 7pm since its been so cold?

The real reason I want to know is so I don't get caught with my boob out.  DH has to work tomorrow night until 10pm so I'm home alone passing out candy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Silly Q: Halloween in Colder Climates.

• Options
    our township has a set time and advertises it....it's always 6-8.  Im in PA~and its cold and snowing, but they won't change the time.  Can you look online for a website for your area or even the local tv station(our's has a list of townships and times).
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the northeast is more rigid with set times from what I've heard from my husband and others that lived in that area. I've always lived in the south (GA, and TX) and now MD and I've never had set times. The kids seem to head out right around sunset and for the most part are finished by 8:30-9. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in Ohio where it's cold. Every little town has a set time, usually it's either 5:30 to 7:30 or 6-8. In our town they use the tornado alarms to sound the start and end of trick or treat.
  • Options
    I would think they would come after dark, I've never heard of set times even when I lived up north. Did you get snow though? If it doesn't melt right away I would inclined to say they mat come earlier though. Also, so you don't get caught with your boob out lol, turn the front porch light out whole you feed Scott? I didn't know until recently that means you aren't supposed to ring the door. Oops!

• Options
    I'm in the Philly burbs and it usually goes from about sunset which is about 6 right now until about 8 PM.
  • Options
    Here in NE Indiana trick or treating is from 5-7p (which is ridiculous IMO.. Whomever decided to make it during rush hour deserves an award :/).. When I lived in FL trick or treating was from sunset to 9-10p.
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Options
    We live in Iowa and have a set time from 5-8 (this is the typical time each year) for trick or treaters. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can look it up on your local news websites. Ours is 6p-8p. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My city doesn't have set trick-or-treating times but people start going around around 5ish and go until about 8ish. I plan on turning off our light at 7:30 when I start DS's bedtime routine. If I were you, I'd just feed as you typically do and just turn off your light while feeding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I'm in the south but there's no set times here, we usually get trick or treaters starting around 5:30 & last 'til 9 if not a little after that. 

I agree with the others, if you're feeding & can't answer the door then just turn off the porch light & maybe even keep lights in the rooms towards the front of your house off too so they'll think none is home.  

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm actually from VA. (Alexandria to be exact!) We didn't have set times to go Trick-or-Treating up there. I would expect some of the younger kids to come earlier at like 5 or 6. The older kids will be by after it gets darker. Smile
  • Options

We had our trick or treating last night from 5:30 to 7:30.  It's chilly in Wisconsin this time of year but not horrible.

Growing up we always had trick or treat on Sunday afternoons but now we're back to being cool and doing it at night.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I think set times (especially if not on Halloween) are insane.  In my neighborhood (in MD) I will be expecting T0Ters from about 5-9.  Maybe earlier, probably not later though.  We will be going around 5:30 - 6 most likely.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    All of the towns around here have set trick or treat times and they make them known (papers, news stations, etc). Most around here start at 3 or 4  the sunday before and go a couple hours. The city usually does it in the afternoon, probably for safety reasons. Some actually do it on Halloween and do it in the evening around 5 or 6 for a couple of hours. It just depends on the community.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

Definitely seems different across the country.    My plan was to hide when I was feeding, but I was going to try to schedule his feeds around the tricker treaters because I've never lived in a place that got them!!

Before moving to Virginia I always lived in student-dominated apt. complexes near the university. 

• Options
    Here in Texas, we go around dusk and last until 9ish. Casey will be home passing out candy. We are going to Ollie's godmother's mother's neighborhood to TOT.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • Options
    In NC the trick or treaters are out from about 5 or 6 till 8pm. You can always look up your news stations website and they should have the designated times for your city listed.
  • Options

We used to go right after school. We'd usually be back on standard time by then, so it would be dark already at around 5.

This year will be our first taking DD1 ToT, and we're planning on having an early dinner and go out afterwards. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"