High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

When to take procardia

So, due to my contractions coming back after the hospital, my doctor sent me in a prescription for procardia (actually a generic equivalent). But because my contractions are mild and although they tend to pop up in clusters that are regular, other than that, they're not plaguing me all day or anything ... I'm wondering at what point is it *wise* to really take it? I know it can get rid of your contractions, which can't be a bad thing, but I'm not sure when I should cave and take them.

So far, the contractions are more annoying in that I hate that I have them (they just upset me, haha, more so than cause me horrible pain). But I'd say it's only like a few periods of the day that I'll get them, and they're mostly very mild. It seems I can remedy them by laying back in a certain position for a very long period of time. 

I guess the question is - for ladies experienced with this - what is your tolerance point? 

*I should clarify the doc told me to take them as needed. 

Re: When to take procardia

• Options
    I take it every 4 hours so I'm not sure, but I would say when they get to be uncomfortable for you. Maybe if you have several in an hour or they're coming regularly. I'm not sure really because if your contractions go away rather quickly then they may be gone by the time the procardia starts taking effect.
    image image

• Options

Our situations sound very similar.  I also have a generic script of Procardia for contractions.  I take 20mg every four hours, religiously.  I find if I don't I start to have contractions.  I have some side effects after I take a dose, my cheeks get very hot and flushed and I sometimes get a bad headache.  The effects tend to wear off after about 45 minutes.  You said that your contractions are mild, mine unfortunately are strong and I always panic when I get them...  

Are you on bed rest?  I am on strict bed rest until 36 or 37 weeks, pending I make it that far.  Good luck with finding your proper dosage and time with the Procardia.  

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmmm...I guess I'm surprised the Dr. told you to take them "as needed."  Are they 10mg or 20mg?  I started off on 10mg every 6 hours and a week later, they increased my dosage to the Procardia XL which is a 30mg time-released tablet taken once a day.  I also get contractions all day long - usually 20-25 per day, some strong, some not so strong.  I've been on Procardia for 5 weeks now and am hoping that some day these contractions will calm down. 

So to answer your question, I would certainly take the least amount that you need to (the headaches and flushing in the beginning are no fun, but the side effects do go away after a week or so, at least for me they did) that still yield the desired effect.  If you can tell the contr subside just by taking a dose every 8 hours or even just once a day to get you through your "trouble" period maybe that's enough.  My doc also said to drink lots of water of course.

Good luck!

Lisa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I take on a as needed bases also my blood pressure tanks when I take the meds. I was told if I have 4-5 contractions in an hour go potty have a big glass of water take the meds and lie down.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was in the same boat as you starting around 25 weeks. I was never quite sure when to take them either since it was "as needed" and that wasn't really clearly defined. What I found was that when they became timeable, if I wasn't able to get them to stop after lying down, drinking, emptying bladder, etc. then I would pop a procardia. Sometimes the procardia gave me side-effects that were worse than the contrax themselves, sometimes it was well worth it to take the procardia. It really is a very gray area when you just take them "as needed". I probably tended to take them less than I should have because I hated the headaches that sometimes (but not always) accompanied the procardia. Good luck!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageazcobride:
    I was in the same boat as you starting around 25 weeks. I was never quite sure when to take them either since it was "as needed" and that wasn't really clearly defined. What I found was that when they became timeable, if I wasn't able to get them to stop after lying down, drinking, emptying bladder, etc. then I would pop a procardia. Sometimes the procardia gave me side-effects that were worse than the contrax themselves, sometimes it was well worth it to take the procardia. It really is a very gray area when you just take them "as needed". I probably tended to take them less than I should have because I hated the headaches that sometimes (but not always) accompanied the procardia. Good luck!
    I agree completely. I didn't start contractions w my first until 32 weeks. I would wait until I noticed they weren't going away or increasing in intensity or frequency and then take a pill.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You should call your Dr and ask. Its his job. I would assume that if you have gone to the bathroom, had a glass of water and been lying on your left side for an hour and still have them that you should take one. Your Dr is the one who prescribed them though and he will know the answer for sure! Good luck.

• Options

Thanks guys, very helpful advice.

I ended up taking one the other night because resting just didn't seem to provide much relief. Haven't needed to take one since, but I think that's a good rule - if you're having more than a few in an hour and resting and water isn't helping, take the pill.

And fortunately the pill worked great. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"