Multiples
Options

Daycare options for triplets....

So far, we're having triplets.  DH and I both have great jobs (government) and it's not an option for either of us to leave our job.  The whole daycare thing won't last forever and if I left my job, it's not an option for me to just return whenever I want.  We don't have any other children.  While we're not rich, we do pretty well.  My question is what do you personally do for daycare for your multiples and do you have any advice for me?  I'm not sure whether a personal daycare owner would be cheaper than a commercial daycare.  My mom is off in the summer so she'll definitely help as much as possible.   I'm also nervous about long waiting lists and not being able to find a daycare who can take all three.  Thanks ladies!
P/SAIF Miscarriages 9/2007, 3/2008 (D&C) and 9/2008 (Clomid-blight ovum) HSG 11/2008-normal; Hysteroscopy 7/2011-normal DH sperm count 10/2008-freakishly high 8/2011-1st round of Clomid, BFN-onto the next month! 9/16/11-started Bravelle 10/08-BFP! Triplets! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Daycare options for triplets....

• Options

your best option is likely a nanny... esp with 3 kids - dealing with sickness is a total PITA - i had horrible stress last year b/c of all the illness with my kids and having to take days off work all the time (I only work part time and they always manage to get sick on the days i work!)

if you put them in daycare and take them out for the summer- you'll likely need to pay for the spots to keep them, or you'll lose them.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yea I was thinking the same thing about the whole summer thing, that I'd have to pay anyway.  The thing that's such a pain is DH and I both work M-F and don't even have the option to work any other days.  And we both work during the day.  I know it'll work out somehow, but since I have no other children I have no clue what I'm doing!
    P/SAIF Miscarriages 9/2007, 3/2008 (D&C) and 9/2008 (Clomid-blight ovum) HSG 11/2008-normal; Hysteroscopy 7/2011-normal DH sperm count 10/2008-freakishly high 8/2011-1st round of Clomid, BFN-onto the next month! 9/16/11-started Bravelle 10/08-BFP! Triplets! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageUsedToBeGoldie:

your best option is likely a nanny... esp with 3 kids - dealing with sickness is a total PITA - i had horrible stress last year b/c of all the illness with my kids and having to take days off work all the time (I only work part time and they always manage to get sick on the days i work!)

if you put them in daycare and take them out for the summer- you'll likely need to pay for the spots to keep them, or you'll lose them.

This.  Plus you don't have to get 3 babies out of the house in the morning. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

imageKimAnn79:
    Yea I was thinking the same thing about the whole summer thing, that I'd have to pay anyway.  The thing that's such a pain is DH and I both work M-F and don't even have the option to work any other days.  And we both work during the day.  I know it'll work out somehow, but since I have no other children I have no clue what I'm doing!

it's doable with 3 kids in daycare - we do it... but basically it is my entire base pay for the cost of daycare - my only "income" is my bonus and benefits (which include a company car, so it's pretty good... and worth me working)... you'll need to do the math and see what works out best. 

in-home daycares are usually cheaper- but i am not a fan of them.  I'd get a nanny before i'd do in-home... esp with 3 babies.

i'm not sure how big your house is- but many find an au pair to be cheaper than anything - but you have another person living in your house - some of my friends have one and love it... i would hate it, though :)

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options

A nanny will probably cost about the same as sending three to daycare and the nice thing about a nanny is that you don't have to get all three dressed and out the door although it is doable.  Pam does it.  I'm not sure if I could have.  I went back to work FT with a nanny but after a few months I decided it wasn't working out for us.

When the summer rolls around you will probably want to keep the nanny and take help from your mom...lol.

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I thought about the au pair thing but we only have 3 bedrooms and not a whole lot of extra space.  And, I had a roommate once and hated it depsite her being a good friend lol.  It would be really nice to not have to lug all 3 babies out of the house, but I'm also not really comfortable with a stranger in my home and what if they just up and quit?  I'll have to call around and compare prices but I'll probably go with a day care.  I think my SIL took her kids to an in-home day care.  She was very particular about where they would go so I'm sure it's a good place. 
  • Options
    I would agree Nanny for 3.  You will probably pay almost 3000 depending on where you live for a daycare...and the logistics of getting them there would be awful. We have a few nanny agencies here that you pay a fee to, they do all of the background checks and hiring.  They also do the paychecks for you so taxes are taken out etc.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My friend has an au pair for 1 baby, and she loves it.  I don't think it's cost effective for her, compared for daycare, but it definitely would be for 3 babies.  She pays $15k yr for an au pair from Thailand.  You can always try it for a year, and if it doesn't work, try something else.
    Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • Options
    You said you're government employees? Do you have access to a base and priviledges there? I ask because on base daycare can be more affordable if its an option.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

The boys started daycare at 4 months old. We were very lucky to find an affordable option. They gave us a good deal for all three. :) We don't make a ton of money, but we do live in a low COL area.

I think in some areas, a nanny is more cost-effective. You just need to look around.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    We are going to get a nanny when I go back to work in Feb. I just couldn't see how it would work well getting the kids up and to daycare or an in home daycare. I have also looked into an au pair and talked with the local coordinator at Cultural Care au pair several times. It would be cheaper for us to do that but I also don't want someone living with us plus most au pairs are pretty young and don't have experience with multiples.
    Diagnosis: DOR and MFI-low everything IVF #1 = triplets! 2 girls and a boy! Born Sept 29, 2011 at 32w6d due to Pre-e and HELLP syndrome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are having twins and have an almost 2 year old...we are more than likely going to get a nanny. I can't imagine getting 3 out in the morning and I know my current provider can't take 2 infants next fall.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    I don't have triplets but just want to add that if you are thinking about an in-home daycare, you might want to check what the laws are in your state.  Where I live, in home daycares are only allowed to have 2 infants under the age of 2 (unless they have a licensed assistant) so we had to find someone who had no babies which was a challenge.  If your state has the same law, you would have to find one that had an assistant.  Just a thought I wanted to throw out there...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We will be getting a nanny for our three when I go back to work next year. We did daycare with my daughter and she will continue on at her same school but I as some other posters said I think it's easier to have someone come to you, no getting babies ready and out the door. One thing I wasn't prepared for was how often my daughter would get sent home sick from daycare last winter so with three I thought it would be too tough to manage coverage on sick days. 

If we can't find a good fit on our own, we will use an agency.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely start looking into nanny options.  Ask around in local multiple clubs for the going rate.  I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable a nanny was!  For us, a nanny was the only option.  My girls were born at 32 weeks and it was not recommended that they be in daycare with other children for at least the first year.   

• Options
    We have an au pair and she is amazing!  I really don't know what I would do without her.  She works 45 hours a week and we pay her $195.75.  We also pay the company.  It ended up being about $17,000 a year for 45 hours a week of care for the twins.  That was considerably less than the cost of infant day care where we live.  Also, there are so many extra perks.  She does all the laundry, clothes mending, etc.  The kids get 2:1 care and they are not exposed to germs.  I don't have to worry about getting them out of the house in the morning and if I am running late it is not a problem.  The au pair also helps out when she is "off."  We have family time together and she genuinely loves the twins and enjoys spending time with them when she is not working.  This is great because it gives me the opportunity to get dinner on the table, do chores, etc.  She has her own room but shares the bathroom with the twins and guests.  We did a lot of interviewing before we selected her and skype made interviewing easy.  While we think she is amazing, there are times when we enjoy doing family stuff without her.  She also has made a number of friends in the US and travels to visit them on weekends when she is off.  Additionally, we are only going to have an au pair until they are two, then they will go to day care to learn social skills.  You have to think about what is best for you, DH and your LOs.  If you have questions about having an au pair, please feel free to pm me.
    U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Nanny all the way!  For three, it's less expensive than even in-home care, plus you don't have the get everyone up and dressed every morning.  I used Care.com to find mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"