2nd Trimester

Cervical polyp

After weeks of spotting, the cause was finally found - a cervical polyp.  The doctor advised removing it, saying it was safe, would avoid the stress of seeing the blood, and would also avoid me having to come into the hospital every time.  I went with her advice, and had it removed.  It was completely painless and I have felt fine since (no cramping, no fever). 

My question is, for those who have had polyps removed, how long did you bleed afterwards?  The doctor said I could expect a few days of spotting.  I've had a very small amount of brownish or pinkish discharge a few times a day since it was removed on Tuesday. I was expecting to be done with the bleeding by now. 

Oh, and I'm almost 21 weeks.  

Re: Cervical polyp

• i'd say that, since you know where the spotting is coming from, give it till a week from the procedure and call to confirm that things are still ok... 
    + OPK July 6, 2011 IUI with anonymous donor sperm July 7, 2011 BFP July 21, 2011 Baby Girl Harper born via emergency C-section 3/22/12!
  • I had one with my first pregnancy and lucky me have one again for this one. It bleeds everyday. Sometimes a lot, sometimes just spotting. Sometimes red, sometimes brown. I have moved to another state for this pregnancy and both ob/midwives (VT and NJ) have said it's best to leave it alone. I would love to not have to see blood everyday, but have always been told it's best to not mess with the cervix while pregnant. Your polyp may have been dangling out of your cervix or maybe they could see the entire stalk so they felt safe removing it. I would expect the spotting to stop soon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one. My ob won't remove it until after delivery. They refuse to mess with my cervix during pregnancy. It has stopped the bleeding so they think it moved or fell off on it's own. Knowing first hand how much they bleed I would expect a few days?
  • Thanks, ladies.  As to removal during pregnancy - I just trusted my doctor when she said it was safe.  Only afterwards have I read lots of stories about how OBs refuse to remove during pregnancy.  I've also read lots that they say they do.  I'm trying not to worry about this part too and trust that for my polyp it was safe to remove.  It sounded from what the doctor said like it was in the back and hanging pretty far down.  I never felt any pain, pressure or touching on my cervix during the removal, and afterwards the doctor did a separate check of the cervix to confirm the bleeding had been coming from the polyp. It was tight, high, and firm.  So, trying to just trust the doc on this one.

Thanks for the advice on the bleeding.  I think I will give it until doctor's offices open again on Monday and call then just to confirm this is the source and that it's not unusual to continue to bleed this long.

This board is such a great resource.  Thanks again! 

• Sorry I can't quote. But that makes sense. Mine is right by the opening of my cervix. Depending on when they check, sometimes its barely visible and halfway in. So it males sense when you think about it that way!! I wouldn't worry about spotting. Especially cramp free. You know what it's from. If it lasts through the weekend and you are worried, call Monday!! It's their job :) I do envy that yours is gone... I hate that any day I could gush blood at any time!! So frustrating!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"