Attachment Parenting
Options

Allergies and BLW question

*Okay, I've written this post several times now, and I'm still struggling to get my point across.  Forgive if this is muddled.*

We're doing BLW.  I know that the recommendation is that you wait a few days between each new food to so that if there is a reaction, you can more easily pinpoint it.  It's just that watching LO with the sweet potato sticks last night, he only got one "bite" off, and it immediately fell out of his mouth.  So, is there a point to waiting before introducing the next thing?  I mean, is gnawing on it sufficient enough to even produce a reaction if he were allergic to something?  

Gosh, I hope that made sense!

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: Allergies and BLW question

• Options

The first time I gave DS scrambled eggs (the whole egg), he put it in his mouth, and then spit it out again, and got a rash anyway.  Maybe he ingested some?  I didn't think so.

That being said, is there a history of allergies in your family?  In my experience (reading the book, talking with mamas, reading posts here), without a reason to be concerned with allergies, most BLWers just give the baby whatever they are eating, and don't really follow the one food for 4 days recommendation.  The first day we did solids, DS was offered 3 or 4 different foods.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've just started offering whatever is around that is appropriate. I'm not following the rule of waiting for days. There are no allergies in my family or DH's family, and if we have to narrow it down later I'll do it then.

(Not that LO is eating yet, but he loves sitting in his high chair and mushing things around.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have no history of alleges so our pedi said one new food a day was fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    And ido get your point. We are doing a combo and sometimes he barely ingests any purees. I'm not sure it matters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    we never did the wait a few days thing and were just fine, the only thing i know that bothered t was pasta sauce, so we didnt give it to her for awhile and now she likes it and it doesnt bother her at all. if theres no allergies i wouldnt worry.. hth sry for crappy format on phone

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • Options

I wasn't super careful about the 3 day rule. And you can always offer sweet potato again (maybe in a different format?) and see what he thinks about it.

As PP said, some reactions are surface, like rash just from touching it or having it in their mouths, some happen later. When we introduced fish, we rubbed some on his face first, checked for a reaction, and then fed it to him later that day, but we already knew at that point that he had allergies and he'd had a sensitivity to fish through my breastmilk previously.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"