Babies: 3 - 6 Months

If your daughter had a unibrow, would you do something about it?

I am watching toddlers and tiaras and this mom just had her 5 year olds eyebrows threaded (because waxing "hurts too much").  A lot of the moms shave/shape their daughters brows.  

Do you think you'd do this?  Can you imagine a situation where you would? 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: If your daughter had a unibrow, would you do something about it?

• When she was a baby? No.

When she was a few years old and kids were teasing her? Maybe. I would never preen my daughter, but if she was being made fun of then I see no harm in getting it done. I wouldn't "shape" them, but fix the unibrow.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWundervoll:

When she was a baby? No.

When she was a few years old and kids were teasing her? Maybe. I would never preen my daughter, but if she was being made fun of then I see no harm in getting it done. I wouldn't "shape" them, but fix the unibrow.

That's what I thought too.  Kids are horrible sometimes.  If my LO comes home and says people are teasing him about his unibrow, I'd probably help him out.  H got teased really bad when he was younger about this, actually.  

• Loading the player...
  • Good lord no!!  I would teach her to rock that unibrow :)
  • I want to say that I wouldn't, but I know a little girl (well, she's an adult now) who has this crazy, horrible unibrow across her face. If I were her mom, I'd be tempted because it totally took over her whole face. 
  • If it was really bad, I would probably shave it or something when she started school.

I told DH that if we had a kid with ears that stuck out (severely, where it's a medically diagnosed case of lop ears) I would want for him/her to have them surgically pinned.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I might if she was getting made fun of. But I HATE that show. Why would you put your kids through that? 99% of the girls hate it and act like brats. I just saw something on tv today about one of the mothers that dressed her daughter as the hooker Julia Roberts played in Pretty Woman. The mother's excuse was "Julia Roberts is my favorite actress..." Well then if you were going to pick that movie, why wouldn't you pick that beautiful red dress she wore. Why dress her like a hooker?

I don't know maybe it's just me but I don't agree with that show. 

• My 3 year old DD already has a unibrow unfortunately and DH and I often discuss what we will do if she starts getting teased about it or if she starts to notice it. So far we have decided that we will leave it be until she brings it up. If kids are teasing her at school then I would do whatever she was comfortable with at the time, within reason obviously.

DH and all his family on his mom's side have horrible unibrow. DH shaves his daily, SIL and MIL get their eyebrows waxed every week or two, and BIL leaves his alone. From what DH tells me they were all picked on a bit for their unibrow but each of them handled it differently.

On a side note, pp made me think of it. My best friend had very large ears that stuck out. She hated them! After begging her mom and having it really affect her self esteem her mom finally agreed to allowing her to have them sugrically pinned ( think we were in 7th grade). It made a WORLD of difference to her and she says her only regret was that she had to wait so long to have it done. Heck I remember her crying about it when we were in 3rd grade....so to her it must have felt like an eternity.

• imagekatie4253:
    imageWundervoll:

When she was a baby? No.

That's what I thought too.  Kids are horrible sometimes.  If my LO comes home and says people are teasing him about his unibrow, I'd probably help him out.  H got teased really bad when he was younger about this, actually.  

My dad's side of the family has horribly bushy eyebrows, and my sister inherited them. I know she was teased for a while about them, especially in high school, but she refused to do anything about it for the longest time. Sad

• Ha ha. I read the title of this post and totally thought that a mother on the bump wanted to do something to their 3-6 month baby's unibrow.
  • I absolutely would not. If they get to the age (maybe 8 or so) and they wanted to and understood that it caused pain then maybe. I think teaching them to care so much about their appearance at such a young age is a big-big mistake.
  • imagesuzyqjmu:
    Ha ha. I read the title of this post and totally thought that a mother on the bump wanted to do something to their 3-6 month baby's unibrow.

I would totally be jealous, since DS is just getting a regular brow. A unibrow at this age is just showing off. 

• imagesuzyqjmu:
    Ha ha. I read the title of this post and totally thought that a mother on the bump wanted to do something to their 3-6 month baby's unibrow.

I can't stop laughing...I'm sorry. I thought that, too, then I saw the poster and was even more confused.

If kids were teasing her, yeah. I don't think that's such a freaky notion - they have those little battery trimmer thingies - not painful. Ear piercing is a bigger body mod.

• imagesuzyqjmu:

LOL!  

Needless to say, Toddlers and Tiaras makes me feel like I am the best mom in the world.  A mom of a 3 year old actually said, "moms have to be hard on their kids in pageants and the kids sometimes take it wrong."  WTF!  She is 3.  She said, "are you upset mommy?" and then told everyone that she wasn't going to win because she "had a fake smile".  Poor girl...

• yes. I'd probably shave rather than wax/thread due to the pain factor. I shave my brows (waxing/plucking hurts), 2 seconds, easy fix.

I'm all about the easy fix. If someone can make themselves look 10 times better in 10 seconds or less twice a month, why not do it?

I would do it BEFORE kids starting teasting her, because if she then goes to school after she's been teased about the bad eyebrows, now sporting a groomed eyebrow, then the kids will still tease her about the brow and how she has to groom it.

Flame away, ladies, if my one year old had a unibrow, I would carefully trim it. I find it is funny that something that is quick and painless such as shaving a few hairs gets ladies on the bump so up in arms, but sticking needles in your baby girl's ears to make them "pretty" does not. Confuzzled on that one.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagedamabo80:

Flame away, ladies, if my one year old had a unibrow, I would carefully trim it. I find it is funny that something that is quick and painless such as shaving a few hairs gets ladies on the bump so up in arms, but sticking needles in your baby girl's ears to make them "pretty" does not. Confuzzled on that one.

Yes

• I would. DH had AWFUL ears that stuck out and was miserable in school. He was thrilled when he could finally get them pinned back. It tends to run in the family so I'm crossing my fingers... 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • imagedazidog:
    imagedamabo80:

Yes

To clarify about the TT mom.  She was shaping the brows.  Her daughter did not have a unibrow.  They were just not "perfectly shaped". 

• I have one of those micro trimmer things because, once you hit 30, your face starts growing all this excess hair. I would totally use that on a child older than like 3-5. I work with someone who has a bit of a unibrow and her kids have them (they are at least 5 or older) and I'm always awestruck at why she doesn't clean that ish up. Shallow? Yes. But seriously...a unibrow?? lol
  • imagegymnst1013:
    Good lord no!!  I would teach her to rock that unibrow :)

Heck yeah! 

• Threading hurts a helluva lot more than waxing by a long shot. And it doesn't last as long.

If my daughter had a super-bad unibrow and she became bothered by it, I would use an eyebrow shaper (like the mini razors or the electric kind) to trim it...but I would never wax or thread her eyebrows. When she's a teenager and if she wants them waxed, we'll talk, but not before that.

Also, Toddlers and Tiaras is a disgusting show. Maybe it's the country horse-girl coming out in me (the girliest thing that I've ever done was Western Pleasure when I was younger), but I just don't get the appeal of dressing my kid up like one of those creepy porcelain dolls that someone rolled in glitter and spray tan.

• Since unibrows run in my family and I watched many of my nieces get tormented over it I would absolutely trim it.  If DD (or DS) ends up with a bad one you better believe I'll trim it up.  Shaping the arches is going too far at that age, but separating a uni into two brows is reasonable to me starting at school age.  In fact, if DD had dark hair I'd probably already be doing it, but since she's blonde its not so obvious yet.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageWundervoll:

When she was a baby? No.

this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • My initial reaction was "5 years old? No. Unless she actually looked like the Geico caveman guy, absolutely not." That being said, I've got very dark hair. And I had to start waxing my upper lip in 4th grade because I was being made fun of. And shaving my legs in 5th. And bikini waxes in 6th because we had PE in swimsuits and I developed a little early if you catch my drift. So if she were having social issues due to her eyebrows, I could understand. But just for a pageant? Um no.

Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • I'd probably pluck it enough to where it wasn't a unibrow anymore, but only if it was something she repeatedly brought up or was teased for.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"