Food Allergy
Options

20 month old - allergy testing ?

I am taking DS to the allergist next week, and I think (hope) they are going to do allergy testing on him.  I am familiar with the allergist (it's DDs allergist) and how they do the testing - it's the skin test, where they do it on the back - but I am NOT familiar w/doing this with a child this young!  DS is just about 20 mos old (next week) and when we did all this testing w/DD, she was 5.

If you've taken your child this young, do you have any tips?  With DD, they gave us papers and crayons, we also brought her Nintendo, and she understood about not trying to scratch and overall, it went just fine.  I'm a little concerned w/DS, though.  I'm feeling it may not be quite as easy!  Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: 20 month old - allergy testing ?

• Options
    We had DD tested around 9 months and then again around 18. At 18 months I just let her walk around and explore the room. I brought my phone so she could watch videos, and the nurse gave her a glove balloon and a tongue depressor. Next thing I knew, 20 minutes was up. There were so many new things to look at in the room DD was very busy.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My daughter was around 18 months and they did the skin test on her arm. We walked around the halls for a while and distracted her so she wouldn't scratch. I'd guess a small new toy or something fun she hasn't seen might help pass the time and take their mind off of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Will was tested at 10m, 15m, and 27m and Alex at 15m. At 10m, they just did the scratch test. At 15m, both boys got the scratch test and they followed up with a blood test for Will since he tested positive for peanuts (and eggs). At 27m they just did a scratch test and since he was negative for peanuts on that and also did not react when the allergist put a dab of PB on his skin, they asked if we wanted to go ahead and do a full food challenge. We opted to and he passed.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone.  It honestly never occurred to me to just let him walk around and explore the room!

I also didn't consider the possibility of a blood test.  I guess I was just thinking scratch test since that's what DD had when she went (she did have a blood test, too,  but it was prior to seeing the allergist.  It was the results of the blood test that led us to the allergist!)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Are you going to pedi allergist? Ours has a few rooms that are pedi-specific and there were toys, books, and a DVD player to distract her during the wait time between scratching and measuring. 

Both times we've tested DD, at 11 mos and 26 mos, were a lot easier than I expected.

Good luck! 

• Options

He actually does both children and adults.  We went yesterday; DS did great!  Both in that he wasn't bothered by the testing (I brought some crayons/paper and my Nook so he was happy), and that he does not have the allergy I was concerned about.  What a relief!

Also interesting side note - DD is peanut and tree nut allergic, DS is not allergic.  Allergist said to be sure we don't treat DS the same way as DD (which we've been doing, since we removed peanut/nut foods from our house), and that we should give him peanut exposure.  By not exposing him, there's a belief that it could lead to a greater chance of developing an allergy.  Interesting.  So, we got some peanut butter to eat for lunch some days, while DD is at school!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"