Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Chemical Pregnancy?

So after much research, I'm thinking my miscarriage was actually a chemical pregnancy.. I couldn't understand why I had 2 positive hpt 2 days before my period was due (one of them taken during the evening and the other in the morning) and my urine test at the Hospital came back negative at 4 weeks 4 days ( I had started spotting the day before) and my bloodwork came back at only 3 for I think hcg level? 

After reading all these different posts with HCG levels, I assume it should have been higher which leads me to believe it was a chemical pregnancy and the egg was fertilized but never implanted in my uterus and since I tested early, this would be why I got a positive...

Anyways, if this is the case (which everything seems to point to it) does anyone here have any advice as far as if my period will more then likely be right on track? I was always very regular. TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chemical Pregnancy?

• Options
    Its possible... but a Chemical Pregnancy still means the egg implanted... HCG isnt released until after the egg implants.  My last M/C was considered a chemical also, and my ovulation and period came as if nothing happened.
  • Options
    i had what i think was a chemical pregnancy (or at least a very very early loss) in august (same as you - two positive HPT, then negative at the doctor a couple of days later). my period was about 4-5 days late, but everything was pretty normal for the next cycle (weirdly, the cycle after that my O was delayed a few days, but that could have been fluke). i'm sorry for your loss and i hope your body gets back on track. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAngnShaun:
    Its possible... but a Chemical Pregnancy still means the egg implanted... HCG isnt released until after the egg implants.  My last M/C was considered a chemical also, and my ovulation and period came as if nothing happened.

Thanks, I guess I didn't do as much research as I had thought... 

• Options

imageelizabethwig:

i had what i think was a chemical pregnancy (or at least a very very early loss) in august (same as you - two positive HPT, then negative at the doctor a couple of days later). my period was about 4-5 days late, but everything was pretty normal for the next cycle (weirdly, the cycle after that my O was delayed a few days, but that could have been fluke). i'm sorry for your loss and i hope your body gets back on track. 

Thanks for the reply = ) 

• Options

imageAngnShaun:

Not trying to be snarky but there are many websites that say and suggest that chemical pregnancies are fertilized eggs that do not implant. This happens for numerous reasons. Many ob/gyns or REs will tell you that this happens due to a chromosone abnormality. I tend to believe its usually a hormonal issue and that the uterine lining is not as good as it should be and/or the body is lacking the hormonal support to maintain a pregnancy.

It sounds like you had a CP. After my chemical pregnancies my cycles return to normal the very next cycle.

I'm so sorry for your loss!!! :::HUGS:::

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJessMike07:

imageAngnShaun:

Not trying to be snarky but there are many websites that say and suggest that chemical pregnancies are fertilized eggs that do not implant. This happens for numerous reasons. Many ob/gyns or REs will tell you that this happens due to a chromosone abnormality. I tend to believe its usually a hormonal issue and that the uterine lining is not as good as it should be and/or the body is lacking the hormonal support to maintain a pregnancy.

It sounds like you had a CP. After my chemical pregnancies my cycles return to normal the very next cycle.

Im sure there are websites that say lots of things but you cant get a positive HPT without HCG, and HCG isnt produced until implantation...    

• Options
    imageAngnShaun:
    imageJessMike07:

imageAngnShaun:

Im sure there are websites that say lots of things but you cant get a positive HPT without HCG, and HCG isnt produced until implantation...    

Ok, but I was only pointing this out that there are many websites and even books that suggest the opposite and what the poster "heard".

HCG is produced by the forming placenta tissue when implantation takes place.

Just because implantation occured does not mean that it implanted properly. Most likely poor implantation occurs due to poor lining of the uterus and various reasons I stated above. The lining may already be in the early stages of "shedding" and the baby may "disconnect" from the lining.

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL