C-sections

Those who've had a c with children at home...

I'm scheduled for a repeat c/s in March and that in and of itself is great and doesn't worry me at all. My concern is caring for my DD who will be 2 when I have this next one. I'm most worried about getting her in and out of the crib, etc. Those of you who had kids at home when you had a c/s did you have help for a while recovering or did you just wing it and it all worked out!? I should say I have DH of course, but he just got a new job as a police officer and we have no clue what his schedule will be like then and he won't be able to ask for extensive time off....
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Those who've had a c with children at home...

• You will definitely need help in the hospital and atleast your first week home. If dh can't bc of his work schedule I would ask a family member or a close friend. You won't be able to lift your dd. It was pretty painful for me to go up and down the stairs and it's amazing how heavy you dd will seem once your new baby is here! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • GET HELP! I had my step-mom stay with me for about 5 days after we got home and it still wasn't enough because my recovery was really rough. I think I honestly overdid it with stairs, trying to do too much with DS (mom guilt), and I hated being "waited on". I ended up injuring myself really badly (popped some internal stitches) at 3 weeks postpartum. I was a mess and couldn't even stand or sit without assistance and tears and it made it so much more difficult in the long run. I think it's because I just overdid it from the get-go. Get help, and take it easy as much as possible. You should not be lifting anything heavier than the baby for at least two weeks...(but longer, IMO). If you don't have family that can help, I strongly suggest hiring someone who can, even if it's just for the first week.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on the new little one coming soon! 

• Loading the player...
  • If you can get extra help, take it!! I am currently trying to manage a newborn and two 2 y/o twins. It's killing me not to be able to do much with them --still can't lift or hold them or get down on the ground and play with them. They come and sit with me and the baby a lot on the couch or bed. I was thankful my DH took off a week+ from work and basically entertained them while I was with the baby.

I tried to do it all when I had my 1st c/s with twins and ended up having major complications (clotting and internal bleeding that took weeks to resolve). I ended up prolonging what should have been a normal recovery time b/c I didn't listen to my body. This time around, even though I'd love to be able to be with DDs more, I am trying my best to stay true to the restriction guidelines so I can be back in full capacity in a few weeks or so.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS1 was 17mo and 35+ lbs when DS2 was born.  I was told not to lift him for 6 weeks... lol, right.  DH was home for 2 weeks and I definitely needed his help then.  I tried but it was too paindful to even lift DS1 onto the couch to sit with me so I needed help with that.

After 2 weeks, I was able to at least get him into the high chair, onto the couch, out of his crib, etc.  I just tried not to hold/carry him for those first 6 weeks. 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • DH stayed at home with DS at night.  The nurses helped me in the hospital. they took DD to the nursery until about 4 am, my mom or my sister stayed with me until about 10 pm.  I was moving around really well the 2nd time around though.  It wasn't as bad to get in/out of bed and I made sure that they put the basinet next to my bed when they came in to check my vitals.  So annoying how they would push it out of the way and not put it back!

After the first week, I did pick DS up out of the crib and put him in.  He could climb in/out of his booster just fine. I already hadn't been carrying him for awhile b/c of my belly.  We had "our way" of walking up the steps with him walking in front of me leaning  back on me.  After 2 weeks I was driving and helping him in/out of the car and stroller.  As long as I wasnt' walking around with him on my hip all the time, I felt fine.  It took me a little while longer to feel completely better the 2nd time around.  I had more achiness b/c I was doing more, but nothing too bad.  Like the first time around, I knew if I over did it and was more careful the next day if that happened.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • DD is 2 and my next is due in 5 days as a repeat c/s. I will not be able to lift DD for 6 weeks. We have family staying in a corporate apt near our home for 6 weeks to help me care for my older DD. I had a rough recovery with the first c/s and we have no idea if this repeat will be the same or not. I would plan for lots of extra help and also consider how easy/rough your first c/s recovery was. The last thing you want to do is tear the internal stitches by lifting DD too early!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • It was definitely doable, and I even had a long, crappy recovery.

For the first 3 weeks, DH was home so I didnt lift him (except once or twice out of habit, lol).

For the first week DH went back to work, I limited lifting DS. I fed him meals out of his high chair so I didnt have to lift him into high chair. I let him nap on the couch because it was easy to get him on it. You find little tricks to get around if you need to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Get some help for the first 2 weeks if you can.  I had help for 4 weeks after DS #2 was born.  I think that was a bit long...and I am cutting it down to 2 weeks for this baby.  I have 2 older boys 6 & 5 when this baby is born...so they can pretty much do things on their own now...but with DS # 2 I had an 18 month old so I needed the extended help.  

You also aren't supposed to drive until you are off pain meds either...so the help in the beginning with this one is more about driving the older kids to and from school and activities.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You will need help for a while.  You won't be able to lift your DD for a while.  I was lucky and my DS was 2 years 3 months so we had transferred him to a toddler bed before we brought home our second DS.  I had great recoveries from both c-sections but you cannot lift anything heavier than the baby for a while.  And you cannot even sit up holding the baby you will have to sit up and then pick up the baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're going to have to figure it out too, bc DH will not be taking much time off (maybe a day after we get home?) I think my mom will prob take a day or two as well. However, I think we will be sending DS to daycare (so I can get some rest/bond with the baby) and so that he will keep some consistency. So DH will drop DS up at daycare, but I will have to pick him up which will be a challenge. He'll be 2 yrs 3-4 months when DD is born, so he doesn't need to be carried. We'll also have him in a bed/toddler bed by then, so lifting into a crib won't be an issue. He can climb stairs by himself, and i'm teaching him to "scoot" down with me in front of him so that will help. We drive a small SUV, so i'm going to try having him climb up into his seat ( using my hand to help) beforehand. Meals...I'll probably let him eat at his little Ikea table, or let him use his step stool to climb

I had a very easy recovery with my first c, was doing stairs in the hospital (DS was in NICU so had to walk the stairs to get there. At home I was up and down the stairs fine, and was driving within a day or two of being home (I didn't take a pain pill other than Tylenol after leaving the hospital).

I'm hoping things work out, but we'll just have to play it by ear I guess!

M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • We planned the rcs for a thursday so that we'd be home by sunday and dh would be at home the whole next week. That helped alot. After that I was on my own and it wasn't that bad. DS1 was 15 1/2 months and we taught him before the baby came to go up/down the stairs, he was in a twin bed already which he could get in/out of himself as well. If I had to pick him up I bent down and used my legs to pick him up. For me it wasn't that bad. There were times like when I was nursing DS2 that I had to put mickey's clubhouse on for DS1 to watch but other then that it went smoothly.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"