September 2011 Moms
Options

My child is growing like a weed and I can't keep up!!

So here's the Problem...DD is growing like crazy and eating like a champ, we're EBF, and doing very well sleeping but I CANNOT keep up. I have gone through the mini frozen stash I had, and while she sleeps 6-8 hours at night I pump at least once during the night still to keep the stimulation up.

She was born at 8lb 7oz, dropped to 7-12 before we left and by week two was back up to 8-11 (she gained 15 oz in a week). The milk I do produce has great cream to it, and I'm drinking loads of fluids...but when she does get a bottle we've moved to a 5oz bottle and she downs it because 4 just wasnt enough for her....and my "facility" cannot seem to keep up with this production schedule. We nurse and bottle feed, she still latches and sucks like a champ, but just doesnt get enough.

When i pump i used to be able to get 4-5 oz per side, now it's 2.5-3.5

Any advice???

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Blog - dabbleinchic.blogspot.com

Re: My child is growing like a weed and I can't keep up!!

• Options

Are you back to work yet? If not, my advice would be to stop pumping/bottle feeding so much and start putting her on the breast more.

Remember that your pumping output is not an accurate measurement of how much she's actually getting during a nursing session -- babies are much more efficient than even the best pumps. And for the same reason, letting her nurse will help to increase your supply if you do in fact have a supply problem. FWIW, I'm a terrible pumper -- my body just does not respond well to a pump, and I'm lucky to get 2.5 oz, no matter the time of day. But my little guy is going through more diapers than I can count, and is darn near out of his 0-3 month clothing...so I know for sure that he's getting plenty at the breast.

If you're really concerned about how much she's getting when she's nursing, contact an LC and do a weighed feeding. That will tell you how much she's getting from you.

And the reason that you're likely pumping less now is that your supply has regulated. In the beginning, our bodies go crazy and overproduce milk. Once we learn how much our babes need, we make just enough to satisfy the baby.

I know how frustrating it is not knowing exactly how much a BFing baby is actually eating...but so long as she's having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, she's doing just fine!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The EP resource I just posted does have some tips for how to increase supply, although it is geared towards pumping exclusively so it may or may not help you. Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not officially back at work...DH and I own our own company which is a blessing and a curse because i can do what I want with maternity leave, but can't just take a chunk of time off. I had to be in the office all week this week because my partners were in Chicago at a trade show, so I was pumping more than normal... Also given that I have a "on-call" work schedule I like to have a stash of pumped milk so that I can either leave her with my mom without worrying about schedule, or take her with me. I can nurse at work, but if I have to be in our back production area...that doesnt work so well! lol

I think I'm going to take the advice and only pump once during the night (when I still wake up but she's sleeping) and see how it goes....I REALLY do not want to supplement with formula because she is clearly doing well nutrition wise BFing

Thanks for the help!!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Blog - dabbleinchic.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"