Health & Exercise
Options

Exercise after a C-section...

I plan on waiting the full 6 weeks before taking anything up beyond light walking. But once I am cleared, how should I ease back in?

I was in good shape pre-pg, lifted weights regularly, did cardio (SS and HIIT) and yoga. 2 weeks post-partum, I'm feeling pretty good-- able to move easily, no pain anymore, core strength seems decent.

I definitely don't want to overdo it once I get back in the gym, though. Anything to do or to avoid when starting out again? I used to do a lot of compound exercises that engaged the core and I am not sure those would be advisable initially.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Exercise after a C-section...

• Options

I eased back in by walking around the lake near my house for a few weeks. It's a 3 mile loop. I did half at first, and then in a few weeks, I could do the whole thing. I didn't start doing more hardcore cardio until the baby was a few months old. GL!

ETA. I was on the wrong board. Sorry!

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options

I started walking about 1 week out...by 3 weeks out I was walking on the treadmill with an incline between 4-8 at about 4MPH for 15-20 minutes 4-5 days a week, at 4 weeks I started doing some light weights with 10 minutes of walking and 5 minutes of jogging 3 days a week and a 30-minute cardio/weight circuit 2 days a week. I've been able to work out fairly hard and have been sore in my arms/legs but I've found ramping it up has been easier than I expected.

My OB cleared me for "as much as you feel comfortable, but don't overdo the running until 6 weeks and no abdominal exercises or heavy lifting until I see you at 6 weeks"  I'm actually suprised with the amount I'm comfortable with. Being an avid exerciser who was banned from exercise in first and third trimesters-- its nice to finally feel like I'm getting back into shape again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"