Northern California Babies
Options

Secondary car seat

We still need a convertible car seat for Grandma's car, she has a small Honda Civic.  Any recommendations for a seat with good head support in the $100-$150 range?

TIA!

Re: Secondary car seat

• Options
    We have the Maxi Cosi Priori. It is nice and compact for us and around $150.
  • Options

The First Years True Fit is a great seat, especially for a kid above 70% growth wise.  It can totally be had for about that price depending on color, model and sale. I saw it last week for $99 on sale.  C had two of them and they were great.  One is still in Gramma's car and he still has about 2 inches of headroom left at 3y3m.  He's been riding in it since 13m. 

If you want something MUCH cheaper, we also had a Cosco Scenera that doesn't have as much internal support.  It runs about $50 and lasts a shockingly long time for a cheap seat.  Charlie was able to rearface in it for a LONG time and used it FF for another year after that before he just plain got too tall for it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagefutrkingsley:

The First Years True Fit is a great seat, especially for a kid above 70% growth wise.  It can totally be had for about that price depending on color, model and sale. I saw it last week for $99 on sale.  C had two of them and they were great.  One is still in Gramma's car and he still has about 2 inches of headroom left at 3y3m.  He's been riding in it since 13m. 

Do you think this will work in a small-ish car?  And where did you see it on sale for $99?

• Options

It depends on how small and where you put it.  It fit in the back of my Jetta wagon in all positions in the back, even rearfacing.  It fit in DH's older Corolla. 

This is the deal I saw last week: https://www.babycheapskate.com/2011/10/19/first-years-true-fit-convertible-car-seat-for-99-99-today/

I subscribe to Babycheapskate on Facebook and she posts some amazing deals.  I buy nothing for C without checking her first.  :)

• Options
    Maxi cosi priori, we use it in DH's car, he drives a jetta
  • Options
    imagefutrkingsley:

If you want something MUCH cheaper, we also had a Cosco Scenera that doesn't have as much internal support.  It runs about $50 and lasts a shockingly long time for a cheap seat.  Charlie was able to rearface in it for a LONG time and used it FF for another year after that before he just plain got too tall for it.

We have this seat as a secondary one and, while it has great safety reviews, I think using it with the LATCH system is next to impossible.  I have a really hard time getting it tight.

• Options
    image2bearichards:
    imagefutrkingsley:

We have this seat as a secondary one and, while it has great safety reviews, I think using it with the LATCH system is next to impossible.  I have a really hard time getting it tight.

I haven't used a LATCH install on any of the seats we've used in any of the three cars DS rides in.  I find a seatbelt install simpler for me and tighter across all {ETA: OUR} seat models and cars, including that one.

• Options
    I bought two of the First Years True Fit last week when Baby Cheapskate had them on sale for $99.  I've seen great reviews on multiple sites for them.  But the regular price is low enough that if you buy a model or color that's on its way out, you can get it for around $130.  I don't see any on Amazon at the moment, but I have in the past.

PM me for our family/baby blog

Haley Beth ~ March 3rd, 2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"