Multiples
Options

Question about PTL experiences with twins. Some TMI inside and long (sorry)

Hi Ladies, I haven't posted on TB in a while (and never on this board), but have been lurking this boarding since I found out I was having B/G twins in late May :)

I have had a pretty uneventful pregnancy thus far, other than feeling much bigger than with my son earlier (not surprising!). On tuesday, I noticed a brownish glob of mucus on my underwear when I went to the bathroom. I wasn't feeling anything, but called my OB since I had never experienced this before. I knew it could be part of my mucus plug, but also knew that they can grow back. Anyway, they said I could come in the next morning, but if I didn't have another incident of it, then I could wait until my 28w appt, which was sheduled for Halloween. Thankfully, I went in anyway even though it didn't happen again. My doctor found that I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced and sent me directly over to one of the hospitals that has a High Risk perinatal unit.

In L&D triage, they found that I was having some light contractions (that I couldn't feel). They put me on fluids since dehydration can cause them obviously and they calmed down a bit. I went in for an ultrasound and my cervix was found to be a normal length for this point, about 3cm. My doctor still wanted to admit me, because of the dilation and contractions. I got 2 steroid injections just in case, and was on fluids and Procardia for the hospital stay. I got to go home last night on moderate bed rest and I am still on the Procardia 4x/day. I still have my 28w appointment on monday so we'll see what the longer term plan is as far as bedrest, and if I'm more dilated/effaced or contracting (I get a NST, which I was going to start getting starting at 28w anyway).

Thanks for reading all that! :) I wondered if anyone here had experiene with being at this dilation level at 27.5w, and how long your pregnancy lasted-if you had to get put on long term hospital bedrest, etc etc?

I'm hoping to keep these babies in as long as possible, but I'm at least now prepared that they may come earlier than my original goal (36-38w).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about PTL experiences with twins. Some TMI inside and long (sorry)

• Options
    I think I was dilated 1cm well before week 27. I can't remember, but my cervix was definitely shorter than that and effacing. I gave birth @ 35w1d by induction. Don't give up hope yet. Just be really good about your bedrest. I only had to stay in the hospital a day or two at a time. I was on bedrest at home from week 20 until delivery. The meds helped too, IMO. I know it really sucks, but if you're able to, then be as strict about the bedrest as possible. GL!!
  • Options

I started getting some minor contractions at 22 weeks and all checked out okay.  My cervix was measuring 3 then.  At 25 weeks when I went for a regular appointment my cervix was 1.8 funneling and soft.  I was sent home on bedrest and got steroids.  At 26 weeks my cervix was .7 and funneling and was sent immediately to the hospital, spent a week there and was released when my cervix was back at a 2 to strict bedrest at home.  

After 13 weeks on bedrest and weekly dr appointments and cervical checks I made it to my scheduled c-section at 38w2d.  My babies were big and healthy and went home with me on day 5. No NICU time. 

Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found out my cervix had shortened to 2.4 cm and funneling at my 20 week ultrasound.  I was put in modified bedrest and was monitored much more closely.  At 30 weeks, they found I had dilated to 1 cm.  At this point, my doctor put me on strict bedrest.  A week later, I went into PTL - ended up dilating to 3 cm and was put on hospital bedrest until 34 weeks.  I still made it to 36w2d when my water broke.  Good luck!!  Hopefully if you stick to the bedrest, you can make it to your goal!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

It sounds like you might be funneling, so it's hard to predict what will happen.  I didn't realize you could be both 3cm long and 50% effaced and dilated?  I dilated to 2cm @ 21 wks (after losing my MP @ 19w) and got an emergency cerclage, but you are too far along for that, so they will likely just give you shots and keep you on bedrest trying to buy you and the babies as much time as possible.  Bed rest (either at home or the hospital) is a sheer test of will, but you can do it. 

Best of luck!

TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I went into PTL at 22w1d, contracting every 3 minutes or so, cervix softened but not dilated, shortened from over 3 cm 2 weeks earlier down to 1.9 to 2.1 and funneling. I was put on hospital bedrest due to the changes as well as the fact that they couldn't keep my contractions under control without IV magnesium sulfate plus Procardia and terbutaline. I was kept on the IV for about 5 weeks, received the steroid shots, then weaned off onto only the oral Procardia and terb. About 2 weeks later, I was released to full bedrest at home, on the same meds. I made it to 36w0d, the point where I was taken off the meds. At that point I quickly dilated to 4-5 cm and my OB said it was time to roll to the OR! (Baby A was breech, Baby B transverse.) Best of luck -- bedrest is not fun but I firmly believe it (along with other things) helped get me two babies with no NICU time!
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagekthappy76:

It sounds like you might be funneling, so it's hard to predict what will happen.  I didn't realize you could be both 3cm long and 50% effaced and dilated?  I dilated to 2cm @ 21 wks (after losing my MP @ 19w) and got an emergency cerclage, but you are too far along for that, so they will likely just give you shots and keep you on bedrest trying to buy you and the babies as much time as possible.  Bed rest (either at home or the hospital) is a sheer test of will, but you can do it. 

Best of luck!

I didn't realize this either, so I'll have to ask about it at my appointment on monday. The hardest thing about bedrest so far is that I'm a SAHM so childcare is  difficult. My parents are local but also both work PT, so we're trying to figure things out.

Thanks for the info :)

• Options
    Thanks for all the info and good stories guys! Sounds like I just need to sit tight here at home (as hard as that is with a toddler lol).
  • Options
    Yep.  I went into PTL at 26w6d and stayed in the hospital for 3 nights.  I was a finger tip dialted (1+) and 70% effaced.  I didn't have any funneling and my cervix stayed long and soft.  I was not ordered to stay on BR by my doctors since they didn't believe that it did any good, but I kind of put myself on it anyway.  I was so big and uncomfortable anyway so it was good to rest.  Anyway, I made it to 37w1d and my Babies were born healthy!  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also had my first PTL at 27+5. I was 1cm & contracting heavily every 3 min. I was given terbutiline to stop the labor & sent home on strict bed rest. I had 3 more bouts of PTL before I learned what worked for me to keep the contractions at bay: 1.5 gallons of H20/day (tho doc said don't drink more than that), and laying almost completely still on my left side all day (which sucked, but I didn't have anymore PTL weeks 30-33, so it was worth it). OB also gradually increase my procardia over that period of time as I continued to have strong contractions 2-5 per hour until I delivered. That said... You can do this!! Bedrest sucks but it works!! Be serious about it and your babies will benefit from everyday they stay inside. My water broke at 33+6. I was so grateful to make it to that point. My boys were healthy and could breathe on their own (I also had steroids). After a short NICU stay we were all home, and I was SO glad :) GL to you- I hope they stay inside til 36-38!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went into PTL at 31 weeks, so a few weeks after where you are now. But I was 3 cms dilated and y cervix was less then 1cm long. I got the mag and steroid shots and got sent home on strict bed rest which I obeyed religiously. I made it to 37w4d! just remember what my dr. told me - gravity is NOT your friend! Good luck, bed rest sucks but I truly believe it's what made me make it to term.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My cervix was funneling and shortening at 25wks and I was slightly dilated (but I forget the number).   I was also having light contractions that I couldn't feel.  I was in the hospital for a week and sent home on strict bedrest and procardia.  We were just hoping to make it to at least 28wks at that point.  I drank ALOT of water, barely got out of bed, and prayed alot.  I ended up being induced at 39w3d with two very big and very healthy boys.  Don't get discouraged.  Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"