Food Allergy

XP: If your lo had persistent rash, please help!

My son has had a rash on his body for two weeks.  It started after we did a breastmilk challenge after he'd been on Neocate for 3 weeks and I'd been dairy/soy free during that time.  We gave him a breastmilk bottle and it didn't go well and then the rash sort of popped up.
It began as sort of a splattering on his trunk and on his cheeks and rough patches on elbows, knees, shoulders.  His GI thought it was viral, not food allergy related (though he said it was possible, just not likely), and said he really felt like part of his symptoms were food allergy related but that our timing really sucked and some symptoms were virus related.  After that, it became more spread out on tummy and his neck got really yucky, but we think that was a heat rash and unrelated to the rest of the rash. (worked hard to keep it totally dry all day and wipe after feeds.) His pediatrician looked at it and thought it was viral, as well.  But it's been over two weeks and it seems to be getting worse.  
The rash is red, tiny little dots, raised, a little rough in texture,  there are a couple of places more red than the rest.  It doesn't seem to bother him, although he has been more cranky so who knows.  We've just assumed the crankiness is related to his teething. We were using Burt's Bees soap but since switched to California Baby Super Sensitive - we switched after the rash started, not before. Nothing else has changed.  His legs and arms still feel rough but I don't see many signs of the rash.  Pedi recommended moisturizing but that goes against my gut feeling moisture would make it worse, but we will try that to see if it improves.  She suggested Cetaphil.  
Any ideas?  Could this be an allergy to corn in the Neocate?  Any tips? 

Re: XP: If your lo had persistent rash, please help!

• DS had a rash like this but it was the worst on his stomach, chest, neck and cheeks. Our GI said he thought it was definitely food allergy related. DS still has it on Elecare but he hasn't been exclusively on Elecare for a super long time so we'll see what happens.

Moisturizing is definitely good. If the rash is bad in his elbows and knees then that is probably eczema (DS has eczema--and so do I! ugh!) anyway the best thing for that is moisturizing morning, night and right after a bath with a cream rather than a lotion, Make sure it is fragrance free. We use Eucerin cream and coritzone cream when it's really bad. Good call on the CA Baby super sensitive. That's what we use as well. We also try not to bathe DS every day because baths can be drying, but when he does have baths (usually every other day) then they are oatmael baths. (Take quick oats, but them in the blender/food processor until it creates a powder and mix it into the bath water).

HTH!

• imagelas7880:

Pedi recommended moisturizing but that goes against my gut feeling moisture would make it worse, but we will try that to see if it improves.  She suggested Cetaphil.  
    I would just make one caution on the Cetaphil - some of their products have nut oils.  DD had bad eczema/rashes and we tried everything - prescription hydrocortisone, Cetaphil (on pedi recommendation), aquaphor.  We finally had luck w/California Baby but the Cetaphil never worked for us.  In fact, it seemed to make things worse.  
    What we did NOT know at the time is DD is allergic to tree nuts - almond being one - and Cetaphil cream has Almond oil in it.  The Cetaphil lotion had another nut (macadamia, I think) oil in it.  That would explain why they didn't work for us!  When we found out about her allergies last year, it all started making sense.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow - great info, guys. Thanks so much!  :-)
  • It definitely sounds like eczema, and if so moisture will be your best friend. Our dermatologist and allergist both recommended CeraVe. Total life saver. We use the body wash and cream once she gets out of the tub. You can actually feel the moisture in it while I am washing her and in the tub water. DD also had eczema on her head/scalp and the California baby shampoo with tea tree oil worked very well for us. Aveeno made things a million times worse.
    imageimage
  • We use the Earth's Best calendula cream on the boys.  None of the other lotions worked and many seemed to make it worse.  Plain old olive or coconut oil works well too.  For the baths- you may just have to figure out what works for your kiddo.  Some dermatologists suggest very few baths and ours suggests that we do a 10 minute bath every day and then moisturizer immediately to seal it in.  The soak/seal method seems to work really well for my oldest but not as helpful for the baby. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLSU628:
    It definitely sounds like eczema, and if so moisture will be your best friend. Our dermatologist and allergist both recommended CeraVe. Total life saver. We use the body wash and cream once she gets out of the tub. You can actually feel the moisture in it while I am washing her and in the tub water. DD also had eczema on her head/scalp and the California baby shampoo with tea tree oil worked very well for us. Aveeno made things a million times worse.

I agree with this 100%

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"