C-sections

walking after c/s

I had a lot of difficulty moving around after my c/s...I mean A LOT of difficulty and for quite a while. I'm almost certain that has a lot to do with the fact that I was never told to get up and move after the surgery. I was not even allowed to get up for almost 24 hours (cathater was still in). Then, a nurse came in and told me they would be removing the cathater and I would have to get up to use the bathroom. They took out my cathater and she helped me to the restroom, waited outside and then helped me back to bed. She told me to call if I needed help for future restroom trips but never said anything about walking. Now, looking back, I feel dumb but I thought it would be better not to move. My c/s was not planned and I had done no research whatsoever on the topic. I had never had any other surgeries and didn't know anyone else who had a c/s. I was under the impression my movement should be limited. So, all the walking I did for my entire hospital stay was to and from my bathroom (a few steps away). This time I am hoping to vbac but incase I end up with a rcs I am wondering how long after the surgery I should ask to get up and walk and how much walking I should be doing to promote healing? Also, does epi vs. spinal make a difference in this? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: walking after c/s

• I had both an epi and a spinal for my scheduled C/S.  All of my C/S friends told me to walk, walk, walk so I did.  I walked my butt off all over my room and got up and walked to the bathroom as soon as I got the ok to do so.  I think it really helped my recovery. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • After my first unscheduled c/s I did not know about walking till Day 3 and then I walked the halls a lot. With my c/s next week, I plan to walk immediately after catheter is out and walk a lot, a lot, a lot to help with the gas pains, indigestion, getting things moving --- they say it is so good for you. I would pack a pair of flip flops and a long robe so you can walk the hospital halls/wing while pushing your baby-- gives you some stability to hold onto something as you walk. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • For my 1st c/s, I was like you, I spent a lot of time in bed. My room was small and there just wasn't a lot of place to move around.  It was about 24  hours after my c/s that I got my cath removed and got out of bed. I had asked about 10 hours after my c/s, but was told no.  The nurse helped me sit up and dangle my feet off the bed but that was it.

The 2nd time around (unsuccessful VBAC attempt turned CBAC), I was more educated.  I demanded to get have my cath removed and get out of bed about 8 hours.  I had a great nurse who urged my dr to write the orders and I was up and out of bed around 9 hours after my c/s.  My room was bigger and had a nice couch.  I sat on the couch, wondered around my room and walked the halls every day.  It was a huge difference and I felt about 95% 5 days after DS2 was born.

• I just had to bring along the cath with me (the pole it was attached to served as a nice crutch/ cane to hobble around with!). My hospital wanted me up and walking within 8 hours of my c/s. After that, the nurse encouraged little short bits of walking--be it around my recovery room or out to the nursery to keep the blood circulating and prevent clots. I'd wait for the pain meds and then once they kicked in (about 20-30 min. later) I'd get up w/ the cath and do short walks around. It's awkward and painful at first but gets better with each walk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh wow, they should have had you walking asap.  Walking helps with the healing process immensely!  It's the first bit of advice I give when c/s moms ask.

My hospital typically says 24 hours before taking the catheter out but I really push them.  With DS1 it was out in less than 12 hours and I was up and walking.  With DS2, I had a stubborn nurse who "forgot" to tell the next  nurse to take it out for me.  I pushed and pushed and pushed until they finally agreed and I think it was about 20 hours post op.

But as soon as that catheter was out, I was taking regular walks up and down the hallways, several times a day. (just up the hall and back usually was all my body could take).  As far as how much?  Listen to your body.  When it needs to sit and rest, sit and rest.  Try to walk a couple times a day if you can.  talk to your nurses about it, find out from them.  Hopefully they'll do you better this time! 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm 1.5 weeks postpartum and doing fabulously.  I've felt great pretty much every day since my surgery as well..I attribute it to the fact that I'm a L/D nurse who knows what is necessary for a quick recovery.

I had an evening surgery, and took quite awhile to completely become not numb...once I was (approx midnight after a 4:30 pm surgery), I got up at bedside with a nurse, marched in place.   Hurt, but felt good to get up.

By early morning, I had my catheter taken out, IV capped, and got up to go to the bathroom and wash my face, etc with someone standing by.

By 8 am, I had showered, etc.

By 10 am, I walked to the pantry with DH to make him some coffee.

Get up early and often, but don't overdo it.  If you overdo it, you will be sore and thus kinda regress.  I made sure that every couple of hours I got up and at least walked to the bathroom or down the hall, etc.

• I was made to get up 6 hours after my surgery (with my cath in; they remove it 24 hours after surgery). I had a spinal The nurse wanted me to just get up, take a few steps if I could, but I was able to walk to the bathroom and back. I made a few trips to the bathroom that day. By day three I was doing laps of the ward. It was slow going (I had no energy), but getting moving helped in my recovery I'm sure.

ETA: I was told by my first nurse to NOT bend over, even though that's what your inclined to do. Stand up straight.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think I was up walking about 16 hrs later.  I had the c/s at 2 in the morning and was walking to the bathroom later that night, around the room the next day and then did laps down the hallway and around the maternity ward for the next 4 days of my stay.  It still took me 4 wks to feel good enough to go on any real walk around the neighborhood though.  I hope you don't need a rcs.  GL with the VBAC!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had DD at 2:45pm and my nighttime nurse tried to get me up and walking to the bathroom by 10pm. Because I was dizzy and nauseated from the spinal, I didn't go, so she got me up at 5am to remove the catheter and get me sorted out. After that, DH pestered me every couple of hours to walk down the hall and to go a little farther each time. It definitely helped! Of course, once I got home, I sat my rear on the couch for 2 week straight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was up and moving within 6 hours and my catheter was removed shortly after. I was moving a lot because I was peeing a lot since I was retaining 15lbs of fluid. And then they moved me clear across the L&D ward to a bigger room. My nurses in general kept urging me to get up and move though.

I also remembered that the more I moved, the easier it will get. I had a laparoscopy years ago and it was the same way.

You shouldn't feel dumb. You trusted your nurses and doctors and, to me, it sound like they let you down in a situation that you were not at all prepared for. Now, just in case, you are more prepared.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"