D.C. Area Babies
Options

Feds and Insurance -- BCBS versus GEHA

Hey there -- I"m newly pregnant and trying to decide if I should switch health plans.  I'm currently on GEHA.  From what I've read, total out of pocket costs should be minimal or $0.  BCBS looks similar but costs $30 more per paycheck.  Anyone have feedback on either of these plans and possibly the differences?  I'm inclined to stay with GEHA but I cannot figure out why it would be so much cheaper. 

Re: Feds and Insurance -- BCBS versus GEHA

• Options
    I never had GEHA, so I don't know anything about that plan. I've been happy with BCBS. I think one of the main advantages of BCBS in the DC area is that almost every doctor accepts it. I don't know if it's the same with GEHA. But if your current doctors accept your insurance, and you're happy with your plan, then there's no need to change.

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Never tried GEHA but I'll look into it now that you pointed it out. BCBS copays for prenatal appts are $0, hospital admittance is $150, and baby's checkups are also $0. Like PP said, almost every one takes it, including the DC Birth Center & Birth Care in Alexandria. The Basic is cheaper obviously but if you want the option of going with some one out of network, then the standard would offer you 80% coverage & you'd owe 20% as a co-pay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have Aetna Open Access and have been happy, if you want a third option to compare. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    We had GEHA a few years ago and then switched to BCBS. We switched because we were having a hard time finding doctors that took GEHA and it seems like everyone takes BCBS. Both plans have 100% maternity coverage.
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options

We have BCBS fed and didn't pay a dime for the pregnancy or birth. It was awesome!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"