Health & Exercise
Options

How soon can I race?

My husband and I are expecting our first baby early in March.  I had started to get into sprint triathlons before getting pregnant and was checking out the 2012 schedule to see what's out there to get motivated to get back in shape after the baby.  There is a race early in June that I really want to do, it's a double sprint tri- swim, run, bike, run, swim.  The distances are still short, the swims are only 375 meters, the runs are 1.5mi each, and the bike is 20mi.  I'm not worried about time or anything, I would just love to do this race because I think it would be so much fun!  So if I work out is it possible to be back in shape enough to do this at 3months pp?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How soon can I race?

• Options

Definitely!

Keep in mind I had a super easy delivery, but I was able to start working out again at 2 1/2 weeks.  I started running again at 5 1/2 weeks.

When DD was 4 months old, I did a 10 mile race and PRed.

Good Luck!!

• Options
    Talk to your doc.I was running throughout my pregnancy and had a super easy delivery (thanks to exercise) so I was running 3 weeks after having DD and had my OBs blessing to start racing by 6 weeks. I have a 5K on Thanksgiving Day when DD will be 3 months, and half marathon in April, and a full marathon in October. Personally running kept me feeling good physically and emotionally before I was pregnant, while I was pregnant, and especially after DD was born. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetash_rn:
    There is a race early in June that I really want to do, it's a double sprint tri- swim, run, bike, run, swim.  The distances are still short, the swims are only 375 meters, the runs are 1.5mi each, and the bike is 20mi.  I'm not worried about time or anything, I would just love to do this race because I think it would be so much fun!

I bet this is the Kure Beach Triathlon!  (I live in NC too and have done this race before.)  It IS a really fun race and to me, didn't seem as demanding since it is broken up into 5 segments instead of 3.  PM me if you have any questions about the race or other NC sprint triathlons!   

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing a half marathon 3 months pp, so I think you'd be fine with your sprint tri as long as you're able to keep up some semblance of exercise during your pregnancy (so you're not starting from scratch), and have a routine, fairly easy delivery.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I did a sprint tri  at 3 month pp.  It was really fun.

GL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"