April 2011 Moms
Options

First Word

Has your child said any words yet, and if so, what was their first word?

It sounded like my son's first word was "hi" when he was around late 2 months-early 3 months. But his first distinct word was "mom" when he was 3 months. His vocabulary thus far consists of "hi," "mom," "mama," "baba," "dada", and "ama"(instead of grandma)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: First Word

• Options
    Yeah, add my kid to the remedial, aka normal, babies who are just squealing and repeating consonant sounds.  It'll be awhile before a genuine first word with true intent, I'm sure.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageCTGirl30:

You must have the most advanced baby ever.

Currently my child's vocabulary consists of "eeeeeeeeeeeee!" and "aaahhhh!" - also a random screech here and there. She babbles like nobody's business but nothing that consists of actual words yet.

hehehe, this is us too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD hasn't said any real sounds yet and I don't see any sign that she will be talking anytime soon.
  • Options
    DS says Mum, we know he means it because he says it only to me or when I am in the room, and makes a lot of other random noises.
  • Options
    imageCTGirl30:

Currently my child's vocabulary consists of "eeeeeeeeeeeee!" and "aaahhhh!" - also a random screech here and there. She babbles like nobody's business but nothing that consists of actual words yet.

this. And sometimes it sounds like she is saying "Dada" when looking at DH and "Mama" when she wants me to hold her or is hungry.

• Options

Lots of babbling but no intentional words. The milestone chart I read said first intentional words don't come for quite a while yet, so wow!!

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    imageCTGirl30:

I take your eeeee and aaaahhhh and raise you a bahhhhh lol. OP that is quite advanced.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageJaneBeam:
    imageCTGirl30:

hehehe, this is us too. 

us too - nothing concrete yet. some ba ba, mama but not intentional i'm sure! 

• Options

This thread reminds me of "I've felt the baby move" posts at 7 weeks.

Lizzy makes all sorts of random sounds but I'm not expecting intentional speech for quite some time.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    E said aaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrgggggggg yesterday but I think it translates to "why mom how nice of you to pick me up from my caregivers house this afternoon, we shall be off and have boob when reach the house"
  • Options

imageNanna:
    Yeah, add my kid to the remedial, aka normal, babies who are just squealing and repeating consonant sounds.  It'll be awhile before a genuine first word with true intent, I'm sure.

LMAO!!  Us too...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePAmiler82:

I'm glad someone said it. ;) 

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Everyone develops at their own pace, so I was curious. "Dada" is the only word that hasn't been directed at anything yet and the only thing besides "hi" that he doesn't say everyday, he just says it from time to time when playing by himself. He knows I'm "mama" or "mom." He says "ama" when he sees or hears my mom, he says "baba" when he sees any kind of bottled drink, and he says "hi" when we wave to him.
  • Options
    imageSarahL77:
    imagePAmiler82:

LMFAO!!!!

• Options
    imageSarahL77:
    imagePAmiler82:

Like I said, everyone develops at their own pace. So just because your child hasn't done something yet, doesn't mean that another person's child isn't capable of doing so. 

• Options
    imageSarahL77:
    imagePAmiler82:

LOL My  thoughts exactly!

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imageSarahL77:
    imagePAmiler82:

Me too!

• Options
    well my kid has already written his college thesis
  • Options
    imagePAmiler82:

Lizzy makes all sorts of random sounds but I'm not expecting intentional speech for quite some time.  

This.

Practicing consonant sounds =/= saying words.  Seriously, ask your pedi what he/she thinks ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageLynsiBHM:
    well my kid has already written his college thesis

LMAO!!!  Mine is already bi-lingual!

• Options
    This entire thread made me laugh out loud. Thanks!
  • Options
    imageLovelyMommy91:
    imageSarahL77:
    imagePAmiler82:

Like I said, everyone develops at their own pace. So just because your child hasn't done something yet, doesn't mean that another person's child isn't capable of doing so. 

Having a bachelor's degree in Psychology, I can tell you that there is NO WAY that at 2 months old that your child could form words. Their brains are not capable of grasping language, left alone speaking. The brain is not developed enough to comprehend language until later.

Your child may be making sounds that sound like words, but like I said at 2 months it is not possible. I think that it is more hopeful/wishful thinking on your part that your child said actual words. We all want our kids to be smart and advanced, but its not possible for every child to be advanced. Hate to burst your bubble.

• Options

I so want to know what your pedi has to say about this at your next appointment. Like, REALLY curious.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options

Well, actually my baby says words all the time. She actually recites novels, so her vocabulary is slightly better than your baby's. Sooo.....

Yeah, not a big deal.

I invented The Bump. Soooo
    Penelope SNL Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    imagePAmiler82:

Hee hee. Me too. DS started saying dog and mama and dada (yeah, dog was his first word) at 11 months, which was early, according to the pedi. Before 9 months is generally not considered "real" talking, just them experimenting with sounds.

Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Options
    imagePenelope_OneUpper:

Well, actually my baby says words all the time. She actually recites novels, so her vocabulary is slightly better than your baby's. Sooo.....

Yeah, not a big deal.

omg, yesssssssss! 

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"