VBAC
Options

Opinion on growth ultrasounds.

I had a growth ultrasound done late last week, which was ordered by one of my favorite OBs at the practice (I was measuring big). I felt hesitant about it because the same thing happened with DD, but just one at 35 weeks (I think it's the way I carry, but I really trust that OB). After DD's ultrasound they predicted that she would be 9+lbs at birth. Well, needless to say, she was just under 8lbs. For this DC, they have already scheduled me for a second ultrasound in two weeks because of the baby measuring big and a little extra fluid. I am thinking of declining it. I don't want a million ultrasounds or a reason to have a repeat c-section because of a (possibly) big baby. I do have an appointment with an OB before the ultrasound where I will discuss it, but I wanted to get your thoughts. TIA for reading/sharing.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Opinion on growth ultrasounds.

• Options
    I plan to decline any growth ultrasounds if offered.  I don't want to be pressured into a RCS if they feel that this baby is large, especially knowing the estimates on DS were high and that it's very rare to have a baby too big for a woman to deliver. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I will probably go ahead with them, to use as evidence that the baby is doing just fine.

My goal is to make sure that even if I have a growth ultrasound, that I don't let them use it to pressure me.  The first time around - even without the growth ultrasound - I was getting pressure from the doctors about a "big baby."  So, they'll find a way to harass you, even without the ultrasound.  I just need to stay strong.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would be skeptical of getting mine done too. This LO is measuring big but my OB hasn't said anything as of yet about doing a growth ultrasound in the future. Like PP said, you could do it just to prove to them baby is fine and healthy but don't let them scare you into thinking you're going to have this huge baby, if baby measures big, because it's more of a reason for the doctors to push RCS. I don't know what to tell you other than I know what you mean about not really wanting it done!

You could also mention, if you have it done and baby measures big, how they said your DD was going to be 9lbs+ and then she came out a whole pound less than what they said. I'd kinda throw that back in their face if they try to do any talk of a RCS.... 

• Options

I wouldn't let threats of a big baby dissuade me from trying to VBAC. All I ever hear are stories of women who are told they are going to have huge babies (if you are the type to consider 9lbs huge, I don't) only to have an average size LO.

Additionally, women vaginally birth "big" babies all the time with absolutely no problems.

To answer your question, I won't have a growth u/s because I know my child will be 9lbs at least and I don't consider that a game changer. I am tall with birthin' hips, I can handle it. 

• Options
    My baby has bilateral clubfeet so I'm not sure if i'll decline any u/s anymore. The original plan was to decline growth u/s's. My daughters growth u/s at 39weeks put her at over 11lbs...my ob convinced me a c/s was necessary. She was 8 lbs 12oz. I will 100% refuse a c/s based on estimated size...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Keegan Patrick - Bilateral Clubfeet found at Anatomy Scan. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.facebook.com/portraitave

• Options

Did the OB order an u/s based on one week's measurement? I wouldn't agree to a growth u/s unless there were multiple weeks of measuring ahead, and it was by a significant amount.

FWIW, I decline an u/s as part of a non-stress test - I did the monitoring, and my DS was fine, so I declined the u/s. I went into labor that night, and he was born the next day at 10lb 10 oz - I'm really glad I turned it down, in retrospect. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I can see reasons to have the growth u/s and reasons to not.  I just wanted to add that at my 34wk u/s they freaked out because they estimated my LO gained 3lbs in 4wks.  They all were convinced that I'd be having another big baby or had GD.  I had an u/s last week at 37wks and LO is now estimated to be 7lbs-4oz.  My LO had gone through a major growth spurt and then went back to normal growth.  If I hadn't had the 37wk u/s then I would have stuck with the previous plan of a RCS at 39wks.  I'm now cancelling that date and hoping to have a VBAC sometime the next two weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I think I will decline the ultrasound in two weeks and wait to see how I am measuring as we get closer. I don't need unnecessary stress or panic!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have absolutely zero faith in late 3rd tri growth ultrasounds.  I had an u/s two days before my older son was born, the ultrasound estimated that he would be almost 8 pounds.  His birth weight two days later was 5lbs 12oz.  With my  younger son, I had a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks.  I was told that DS2 was 6lbs 1oz and would be about 7 1/2 pounds at birth.  He was born four weeks late at 6lbs 5oz.  And I KNOW that he grew more than 4oz in 4 weeks.
  • Options
    I was not offered growth ultrasounds and would have declined them if they were because I knew I would attempt a VBAC regardless of estimated size.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

2 weeks before I delivered my first daughter they did a "growth check"... Said she was estimated over 6 pounds and would only get bigger. (OB thought she would be over 7lbs at birth)

At birth, she was 5lbs 5oz.

Same thing has happened with just about everyone I know. The size is over estimated.

I think growth ultrasounds are kinda hit or miss personally. But it is super nice to hear that heart beat and see the little hands. Gives you courage to make it through those last few tough weeks.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"