D.C. Area Babies
Options

Work travel and BF questions

I know you all have had great advice before on work travel, but can you fill me in on how you dealt with airport security and pumped milk (since the baby isn't with me)?

Also, I won't have enough of a freezer stash to last more than one day while I'm gone, but I'd really like to keep him on just breastmilk if I can.  Can I FedEx milk home? Any idea what that costs or how feasible it really is? 

I'm going to try and start pumping like crazy to build up more of a stash, but the trip is in less than a month, and my supply is tight as it is.  I'm hoping that I can save even an ounce a day so he'll have at least two day's worth saved up.

any other tips/advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Work travel and BF questions

• Options
    I traveled to and from Mexico with my pump and milk (I pumped at the airport in the US before boarding the plane, so I had milk and ice packs going both ways) but no baby.  I had a doctor's note saying that I was a breastfeeding mom, but didn't need to show it.  They were confused as to where the baby was when I was boarding in Mexico, but I think that was a personal curiousity rather than an issue.  I did a carry on with lots of ice, ice packs and the milk.  They did not even make me open the bag coming from Mexico, but upon arriving in the US at customs I had to show what it was (since you can't bring in various food items from overseas).  I have heard of people doing FedEx, but it is really expensive.  I think you have to pack it specially to stay cold and that may cost more to ship.  And of course, you have to do the fastest delivery possible.  My supply was never great, so we were supplementing 50/50 at that point, but I did have a good freezer stash, so I didn't have to worry about FedExing it.  Good luck. 
  • Options

I traveled with a printout of the TSA regs. and had no problem. I pumped into Lansinoh storage bags to save space. I taped the bags to the top of my pump parts with clear medical tape. This meant the cooler wasn't that big.

To up your supply start eating oatmeal every day (a big serving), plus drink at least 3 cups of mothers milk tea or take fenugreek and google lactation cookies...they are easy to make and really help. Also, I would add in an extra pumping session between now and the trip. If your baby STTN, try waking up to pump. It sucks but it should help you build a stash.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"