1st Trimester

Astringent for Acne

I have always had HORRIBLE acne, i mean so bad kids think I have chicken pox. Now that I'm pregnant I did away with all of my Rx acne medications, but I need SOMETHING! I look scary!

Does anyone know if the SeaBreeze astringent for Sensitive skin is okay? It does not contain Salicylic acid, so I think it is, but I want to be safe!

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Astringent for Acne

• I'm a big supporter of Proactiv...I swear by it.  

It's worked wonders for me and does not contain any ingredients that are contraindicated during pregnancy. Of course, I would say to always check with your doc regardless.  Depending on where you buy it from, it can be a little on the pricey side, compared to all of your over-the-counter and pharmacy products...but I definitely think it's worth the investment, IMO.  HTH.

• I was use proactiv too which I loved, but it has benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid so my OB said no more. Not sure about Sea Breeze for Sensitive Skin. My OB recommended Cetaphil and she said that witch hazel was okay. So that is what I'm using. I just started on it last week and I'm seeing a little improvement. But if I were you I would just call your OB and ask them if it ok and if not what else they might recommend.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Belli Acne Wash

Mario Badescu Glycolic Toner

Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion

Seabreeze astringent is just witch hazel and alcohol- will only dry out skin. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! ProActive didn't work for me at all. I was on three rounds of accutane in high school and that didn't even work :(

I have been seeing dermatologists for 20 years trying to help my acne, it is hopeless. I guess some people just have really overactive oil glads.

I hope SeaBreeze is safe. I need to dry out my oil glands!

• The Body Shop sells a toner made with Tea Tree Oil that is supposed to be good for acne.  I am also using the Belli cleanser in the shower in the mornings.  I'll be honest, though, I was acne prone before pregnancy and it really isn't helping too much to keep things in check.  I just had another breakout on my chin.  Hopefully it'll work better for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageon_a_whim:

I'm a big supporter of Proactiv...I swear by it.  

It's worked wonders for me and does not contain any ingredients that are contraindicated during pregnancy. Of course, I would say to always check with your doc regardless.  Depending on where you buy it from, it can be a little on the pricey side, compared to all of your over-the-counter and pharmacy products...but I definitely think it's worth the investment, IMO.  HTH.

This.  I've also found another product that works just as well IMO.  It's pretty much like a ProActiv generic.  It's called AcneFree and it's sold at Wal-Mart for about $17 (at least in my area).  I've been using it for about 7 or 8 years and I love it.

• imagejbt518:
    I was use proactiv too which I loved, but it has benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid so my OB said no more. Not sure about Sea Breeze for Sensitive Skin. My OB recommended Cetaphil and she said that witch hazel was okay. So that is what I'm using. I just started on it last week and I'm seeing a little improvement. But if I were you I would just call your OB and ask them if it ok and if not what else they might recommend.
    ...that's strange... I just read the ingredients on all three of the Proactiv bottles and none of them say they contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide Tongue Tied
  • I too was on accutane in HS and have tried ProActive which actually made me blotchier!!    I had a similar inquiry up on FB and got some results from 2 of the recommended products.   Neutragina (sp?) makes a Body Clear body wash which has severely improved my body acne breakout (which started when I got pregnant) as well as a topical treatment that contains witch hazel and salicylic acid in it, which I apply with cotton balls.  I got both of these at a CVS. 
  • I'm so with you.  I have jacked up hormones, so ProActive & the like doesn't work.  Frustrating!  With pregnancy, I become blessed with cystic acne.  It's awful, awful.  I didn't really do anything when I was pg w/DS, but this time I asked my PCP for help.  Here's what I'm doing now:

I wash with Clinique's 3 step program 'cause it cleans so well.  In the morning I apply the Burts Bees Blemish stick & in the evening I'm apply a little honey (and sleep w/it on - just a tiny bit!).  The honey helps take the red out (it's a slow process though) & takes the pain out.

I added a daily probiotic supplement to increase the good bacteria in my system, to help fight off the bad stuff that causes acne.

I am suppose to add lots of beets to my diet (haven't done that yet :p) to help clear out toxins.  I was also told to really watch the sugar & carbs, since they feed the bacteria that causes acne. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I absolutely swear by jojoba oil as a moisturizer. It's similar to what our bodies naturally produce, so it slows down excess oil production. It's often rec'd for those with acne.

I also use tea tree oil face wash by Desert Essence, and rose water toner. For spot treatment I use pure tea tree oil after applying moisturizer. 

Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Visit The Nest! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"