Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Not changing diapers for 12 hours?!?!

I was just on the Pampers board and read a post by someone whose child is in size 2 swaddlers and needs an overnight diaper that will last 12 hours...

12 HOURS!!!  Really???  You don't change the diaper for 12 hours!?!?!  I mean, sure I could see 7 or 8 hours...but 12?  That momma must be getting a lot of sleep at night!  :)

Its not like I'm some crazy diaper changer either...we usually change his diaper only once overnight (more if he poops) but I couldn't imagine not changing a diaper for 12 hours.  Sheeesh.  Maybe I'm totally wrong...but my baby pees way too much to go that long....and he is in size 2 swaddlers as well...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Not changing diapers for 12 hours?!?!

• Dang I feel bad for that babe! Can you imagine sitting in your own pee for 12 hours? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We change at every feeding at night. She wakes up at least twice, and then up for the day. I could never let her sit that long in a wet diaper!
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Gabe's does, pretty much daily (sometimes 10/11 but he's gone 12).  We've done it in cloth and in disposable.  He sleep well.  If we change his diaper if he wakes up to eat he does.not.go.back.to.sleep.

He's never had rash issues in either and we don't use diaper cream. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• my LO will usually go down anywhere between 8-10pm. Lately she's been getting up at 3am- eats & gets changed.

but sometimes she won't wake up till 9-945am..her diaper is pretty big by then lol. Also she has never pooped at  night..knock on wood. and...I'm sure if she did she would wake up..she starts talking like crazy during the day as soon as she has a little poop!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Uh...12 hours is not a big deal. DD has been sleeping 12 hours since she was 4 months. I'll be damned if I'm going to wake up my toddler in the middle of the night to change her. I don't know any moms who would do that.
  • imagejulieb00lie:
    Uh...12 hours is not a big deal. DD has been sleeping 12 hours since she was 4 months. I'll be damned if I'm going to wake up my toddler in the middle of the night to change her. I don't know any moms who would do that.

Well...when I get to 4 months maybe things will change...but this is 0 to 3....

He definitely pees less as time goes on, but if I went 12 hours without changing him right now...I'd wake up to a pee soaked baby and wet sheets!  :)

And about the toddler thing...yeah, that's a bit different...they aren't eating every 2 or 3 hours at night and peeing all the time.  So sure 12 hours there...understandable

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine does. I don't really see the big deal? She goes down at 8 and wakes up for the day at 8. If I were to change her at her 2 a.m. feed...she would take forever to go back to sleep because it's stimulating to her. Not to mention, she gets pissed when in the middle of the night. I'd do it if she pooped, but she doesn't (hasn't since around 6 weeks), so... It's the lesser of two evils and she is a happy, healthy baby. Did the same thing with her brother from around 2 months on, and he's a thriving 3 year-old :)
  • 12 hours is out of control!!!  I change my LO at every feeding at night....right now he is up 2 or 3 times.  I feel like he sleeps better if I change him every time.
  • imageindytara:

imagejulieb00lie:
    Uh...12 hours is not a big deal. DD has been sleeping 12 hours since she was 4 months. I'll be damned if I'm going to wake up my toddler in the middle of the night to change her. I don't know any moms who would do that.

Well...when I get to 4 months maybe things will change...but this is 0 to 3....

He definitely pees less as time goes on, but if I went 12 hours without changing him right now...I'd wake up to a pee soaked baby and wet sheets!  :)

And about the toddler thing...yeah, that's a bit different...they aren't eating every 2 or 3 hours at night and peeing all the time.  So sure 12 hours there...understandable

You'll be surprised how much a toddler will pee in the middle of the night.
  • When my lo was waking up multiple times we always changed her. Now she pretty much sleeps through the night. I change her after her last bottle so she has a dry diaper when she goes down for the night. If she wakes up for a random feeding I don't change her. She woke up at 6am (went to bed at 8:30) I gave her a bottle quickly changed her now she is back in her bassinet.
  • How old is the kid?  My almost 18 month old son has been sleeping 7-7 for months and you bet your butt that I don't go in there to change him!
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• LOL at this thread. Lighten up guys.  DD sleeps a solid 11 hours most nights (sometimes 12) and eff that if you think I will wake her to change her before she needs to wake to eat.

DS was STTN even earlier - and we had to get an overnight diaper for him so he didn't wake up wet. This really isn't a big deal.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagekatie4253:

Gabe's does, pretty much daily (sometimes 10/11 but he's gone 12).  We've done it in cloth and in disposable.  He sleep well.  If we change his diaper if he wakes up to eat he does.not.go.back.to.sleep.

Same here. Cloth, no rashes, she goes up to 11 hours STTN... I am not waking her just to change her! Sorry!

• imagekatxattack:
    imagekatie4253:

Gabe's does, pretty much daily (sometimes 10/11 but he's gone 12).  We've done it in cloth and in disposable.  He sleep well.  If we change his diaper if he wakes up to eat he does.not.go.back.to.sleep.

Same here. Cloth, no rashes, she goes up to 11 hours STTN... I am not waking her just to change her! Sorry!

All of this except we don't do cloth. We don't use creams and we've never seen a rash. But yeah, she sleeps 10 - 12 hours with one wake up and I don't change at that wake up unless I think there is poop. But she hasn't pooped at night since she was 4 or 5 weeks.  

If she was that uncomfortable, I would know, and then I would change her. For now, she wakes up hungry and passes right out after eating and I'm not messing with her.  

• I change at every OTHER feeding overnight.  So if DS only gets up once (which is rare), than he doesn't get changed.  But if he wakes up multiple times, I feel like I'm "putting more" in him and he'll need to be changed.  Make sense? 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • LOL at the two vastly different viewpoints in this thread.  It's either *pearl clutch* How COULD you?! (mostly FTMs) or *Shrug* My kid will wake up if they're uncomfortable (mostly moms of 2+).  If DS would sleep for 12 hours straight, and he's not peeing through his diaper, you can be damn sure he'd be in that diaper til he woke up.  

And comments about how would you like to sit in your own pee crack me up (this is not the first thread I've seen that said).  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be pissing and schitting my pants in the first place, and if I did, I probably wouldn't care if I was sitting in it.  I also don't like sucking on boobs or being wrapped up like a mental patient to sleep.  Babies are not just miniature adults. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • I don't care how young my baby is, if she sleeps 12 straight hours there is not a snowballs chance in hell I'm waking her to change a diaper. This is why we use vaseline or diaper cream at bedtime - it's a barrier between their skin and the wetness of the diaper. DD1 has survived the last 20 months that way, I'm sure DD2 will as well. If she ever sleeps more than 2-3 hours, that is :( 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If your kid sleeps for 12 hours you won't be waking them up to change them. Dd sleeps about that long and wakes up with a soggy but not overflowing diaper. (shrug)
  • OMG the horror! The horror! What a terrible mother! That poor baby!

For real, this is NOT a big deal. LO sleeps 10 or 11 hours some nights and its fine. If she wakes to eat, I don't change her because it wakes her up more and its harder to get her to go back down. Yeah, if your baby is still getting up every 2 hours to eat and you aren't changing at all, that's probably not good, but my LO has been down to only 1 feeding a night since 6 weeks.

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • imageGeekchick921:

LOL at the two vastly different viewpoints in this thread.  It's either *pearl clutch* How COULD you?! (mostly FTMs) or *Shrug* My kid will wake up if they're uncomfortable (mostly moms of 2+).  If DS would sleep for 12 hours straight, and he's not peeing through his diaper, you can be damn sure he'd be in that diaper til he woke up.  

And comments about how would you like to sit in your own pee crack me up (this is not the first thread I've seen that said).  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be pissing and schitting my pants in the first place, and if I did, I probably wouldn't care if I was sitting in it.  I also don't like sucking on boobs or being wrapped up like a mental patient to sleep.  Babies are not just miniature adults. 

Yes

Go Phils!!
  • imageGeekchick921:

LOL at the two vastly different viewpoints in this thread.  It's either *pearl clutch* How COULD you?! (mostly FTMs) or *Shrug* My kid will wake up if they're uncomfortable (mostly moms of 2+).  If DS would sleep for 12 hours straight, and he's not peeing through his diaper, you can be damn sure he'd be in that diaper til he woke up.  

Exactly! There's no way I'm waking up a sleeping baby.  

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelmoali:
    How old is the kid?  My almost 18 month old son has been sleeping 7-7 for months and you bet your butt that I don't go in there to change him!

This exactly! I'd NEVER wake up my infant/toddler just to change them. DS sleeps 12 hours every night and I never change him. DD doesn't sleep that long yet (4-6 hours) - but when she does I will not wake her to change. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageGeekchick921:

LMAO! What she said.

My toddler pees more at night than my newborn does in 2 days. There are mornings that he wakes up with a diaper that weighs about 2 lbs. NBD, he's content, dry, and not p*ssed off that I woke him up to change his diaper.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO has been STTN since she was a week old. She has religiously been sleeping around 11 hours (9:30pm-8:30am). Therefore she doesnt get her diaper changed for a while. Why would I wake her? I just load her up with desitin before bed.. no redness and no rash. Shes just fine :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGeekchick921:

Ha!  This is true.  Though, there are some of us FTM who are not crazy.  LOL!  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagejulieb00lie:

this.  i am laughing at the "OMG 12 HOURS!!?!" 

DD has been sleeping 11-12 hours a night since she was 4 months old, she wears an overnight diaper and we change her as soon as she wakes in the morning.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • It's more so for older babies/toddlers. Like DD is in her diaper from 8 pm until about 9 am. So 13 hours, but she doesn't pee as much as a newborn baby does because they are just drinking fluids all day long, where DD eats real food. Her 13 hour diaper is as heavy as a newborn's 3-4 hour diaper.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • My LO was sleeping 9-11 hours without waking at 2 months and now he sleeps 10-14 hours without waking. I certainly don't wake him to change his diaper. He doesn't leak, possibly since he isn't eating during that time since he is asleep?
  • I have to admit, my initial reaction was pretty bad.... Embarrassed Like, OMG- how could a parent do that? But, after reading the replies.... It's not that bad. There is a context to everything.

My two year old has been sleeping through the night since 3 months.... we did not go in to change her once she STTN.

My 6 week old only wakes up once at night, usually (touch wood!!) so unless she had a big blow out... no change there since it makes her really mad and really wakes her up. She likes everything very warm.

Again, context. I think if your little one is waking up every two hours and you're giving her all this fluid/food, then yeah, she should be changed often. If my LO woke up more than once, I would change her every other time. Unless there is poop.

I should mention that two kids and I have yet to change sheets due to a leaky/over-soaked diaper. I've had to change clothes due to poop riding up the back, yes, but that's another story- it doesn't have to be there long to leak.

• No changing LO's diaper from 10/11 to 5/6. I stopped doing that when she stopped pooping at night. At first, I felt like I might be a bad mom for doing that, but then saw that other people did it as well.

LO doesn't have any negative reactions to it. I also don't think she is going to be scarred for life from sleeping in a wet diaper.

Most women don't wake themselves up in the middle of the night to change a tampon/pad.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"