D.C. Area Babies
Options

3+ years between kids, double or single stroller?

DS will be 3.5 when #3 arrives. I'm wondering if I should get a new stroller. I had a travel system for DD that has since made it's way to Goodwill. I have a single jogger and a little umbrella stroller but I can't put an infant seat in either of them. I have 2 double stroller - a Graco Duoglider and a Sit N Stand. I think DS will be too big for the Duoglider but the Sit N Stand will probably work if he stands on the back. Should I get a new single stroller? Maybe a Snap N Go? DS is in preschool 2 mornings a week right now but during the summer I'll have all 3 kids home.  In the fall when the baby is 5 months old, DD will be in school all day and DS will be in preschool 3 mornings a week. 
Married 7.9.05
DD1 9.24.06
DS 7.1.08
twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
DD2 4.7.12

Re: 3+ years between kids, double or single stroller?

• Options
    DS and DD are 2.5 years apart, and we've used a double stroller (two umbrella strollers connected with stroller links) a total of three times since she was born.  I'd skip it.
  • Options

mine are 20mo apart and we only use the double stroller.  But my oldest is not 3.5 yet so I am not sure what we'll use when she is. Would your DD push the baby if you got another single stroller and DS needed one? (i.e.: you push one, she pushes the other)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought the sit and stand could accommodate a car seat (maybe you just need a conversion bar). I would wait on the additional stroller and see if you really need one.
  • Options

I think that it all depends on lifestyle. My son will be almost 3 when #2 is born and we are definitely getting some sort of double stroller (probably the Joovy Caboose or whatever it's called). We walk to the park (about a 10 minute walk one way) pretty often and we also go to museums and the zoo on a regular basis. Warner does like to walk, but when he gets tired, it's nice for him to be able to sit. There is no chance I'd take him to a museum with the baby without a stroller for him to to be able to sit in when he gets tired/cranky.

Also, (and this is very optimistic of me) I'm hoping to keep up with walking a lot after the baby comes and maybe even do Stroller Strides again, so I'd definitely need a double stroller of some sort to do that with both kids. 

• Options
    imagebh2720:

I think that it all depends on lifestyle. My son will be almost 3 when #2 is born and we are definitely getting some sort of double stroller (probably the Joovy Caboose or whatever it's called). We walk to the park (about a 10 minute walk one way) pretty often and we also go to museums and the zoo on a regular basis. Warner does like to walk, but when he gets tired, it's nice for him to be able to sit. There is no chance I'd take him to a museum with the baby without a stroller for him to to be able to sit in when he gets tired/cranky.

Also, (and this is very optimistic of me) I'm hoping to keep up with walking a lot after the baby comes and maybe even do Stroller Strides again, so I'd definitely need a double stroller of some sort to do that with both kids. 

It probably also depends on what your kid is like too. We do all of this stuff as well. Spur of the minute trips into the city to hit a few museums or the zoo. Walking to all ofthe neighborhood playgrounds. DS has pretty much refused the stroller since 15 months old and is capable of walking all day at this point. The last time we used the "double" stroller, DS's side just held the bag for the entire trip.
  • Options

A snap-n-go is probably a worthwhile investment for the days that your DS is in preschool - even in the fall, you'd probably still be using it (unless your #3 hates being in the infant seat and wants to move to a real stroller as soon as they can sit supported).  I got a snap-n-go when DS was born, and it was much more convenient than the bulky travel system I used with DD.  You can get them cheaper off Craigslist, so even if you don't end up using it as much as you thought you would, it won't be much of a loss.  Eventually you'll reuse the umbrella one you already have.

The sit-n-stand, as long as it has a converter bar to accommodate the infant seat, should work well for when your DS isn't in preschool.  My DD is on the small side of average and enjoyed riding in the back the few times we've used it (got it for #3 and DS, so it's been mostly sitting in our garage the past few months).  So it would likely work for your DS on outings during which he needs to rest or be contained.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS and DD are almost 4yrs apart and we didnt get a new stroller. DS barely rode in the stroller past 3 and never used it past 3.5.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"