Birth Stories
Options

Ethan's Quick Arrival with a little twist!!

Back on August 19th, while at work I received a phone call from a random person telling me my husband was in a bad accident at work.  He fell 20 feet off his work ladder.  I went into hysterics.  The person didn't tell me much except "he doesn't look good."  Here I am 8 months pregnant, and my husband is an hour away on his way to a hospital for multiple fractures.  After a day of X-Rays, Scans, and anything else a Dr could do to him, we finally hear he has shattered his left elbow, broken his right wrist, & his right ankle.  All I could think of is why now?  How will this man ever be able to pick up his son, or help take care of him?  What if I go into labor while he is still here an hour and a half away from the hospital we were supposed to deliver at, and an hour from our home & dog. 

Four surgeries, and two weeks later he is still in the hospital, and in the rehab facility.   Meanwhile I am now only 2 weeks from my due date.   He is finally given a release date...Sept 7th!  We are thrilled; however, he needs as much help as a 2-year-old would while at home.  I had to help feed him, bath him, and dress him.  During these 3 weeks I was staying at my mother's house who happens to live near the hospital my husband was at.  My dog was at my in-laws, and my house was left empty.  With all the walking around the hospital and traveling back and forth, by Sept 7th, I was 4 cm dilated, and not due for 11 days.  Thank goodness, Sept 7th came, and I was able to bring my man home!  Things were looking better; however, there were multiple hang ups.  He cannot drive in his condition, and we live far from all our friends in family.  I had no one to take me to the hospital when I went into labor.  Not to mention he can't use either arm.  That next day my mother convinced me to let her come up "in case" I went into labor, so she could drive us.  I told her I doubt I would, but feel free to come up, for I had food shopping to do anyway, and could use the help.  Another task I was on my own with due to my husband's injuries. 

She and I spent almost 3 hours in the store gathering groceries so I could stock up for when my son arrived.  Thank goodness we did that, and I let her come up...5:30 am that next morning I woke up in full labor!  I woke up with major back pain, but I figured it was the way the baby was sitting on my spine.  After an hour of trying to go back to sleep, the pain didn't subside.  I called my Dr, and she said she wasn't 100% sure I was in actual labor, for I didn't have any bloody show.  But if anything changed to go to the hospital.  Only 10 minutes later I had it...and my contractions were 3 minutes apart.  I went to the hospital, arrived at 10 am, and they didn't believe me either.  The gave me a room, told me to undress to get checked out, but they would probably send me home.  Not so much.  I was 7 cm already, and 90% effaced!  The contractions were coming hard and fast, and I had just enough time to get my epidural.  The Dr told me to just lay back, and take a nap for the baby was laboring down very well, and the wanted him to do all the work for me.  After a 2 hour nap, I woke up to the nurses & Drs telling me to push.  30 mnts of pushing later, my son Ethan Michael was born 7lbs, 12 oz, 21".

We came home on Sept 11th.  My mother stayed with us for that first week, and if she hadn't I don't know how I would have handled taking care of a newborn, and a debilitated husband.  3 months later now he is 60% better.  He can take care of himself now, and is looking to go back to work in Feb. It was a hard 3 months, but we made it!

Baby Ethan's Mommy

Re: Ethan's Quick Arrival with a little twist!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"