Pre-School and Daycare

When your dc gets in trouble...do they do this?

Whenever I get onto ds for anything, he's constantly trying to "gauge" my feelings. If I put him into timeout or correct his behavior then he spends the next few minutes saying, "Mama, are you happy?" "Are you sad?" "Are you angry?" "Are you scared?" "Mama...what ARE you?". He does this over and over. If a answer anything other than happy, he starts crying/whining and saying, "Mama, be happy!".

I typically say something like "I'm happy when you are a good listener? Are you being a good listener?" but this never works.

How do I address this?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When your dc gets in trouble...do they do this?

• LOL - they are so funny.

DD doesn't do this, but I think I would be honest and say "I'm a little grumpy right now b/c you weren't listening when I asked you to ____, but I think I'll be happy when you ____"

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD does this too and she gets upset if I say I'm anything other than happy. I usually ask her to apologize and give me a hug and then tell I her I'm happy again. But I tell her I'm upset because of whatever she did that upset me so she understands that her behavior has consequences. 
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • What do you mean 'this never works'? Are you trying to get him to stop crying/whining during time out by answering him? DD would pull stuff like that during time out and I would say "you cant talk for __ minutes. We will talk when you're dOne with time out" then I ignore her until time is up. Then I would talk to her about feelings. For my DD she was very into feelings and was delaying her time outs by chatting.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJune2007:
    What do you mean 'this never works'? Are you trying to get him to stop crying/whining during time out by answering him? DD would pull stuff like that during time out and I would say "you cant talk for __ minutes. We will talk when you're dOne with time out" then I ignore her until time is up. Then I would talk to her about feelings. For my DD she was very into feelings and was delaying her time outs by chatting.

Sorry...I should have been more clear. He's quiet and sits out his timeout. This happens AFTER the timeout or correction is over.

• imageKathrynMD:

LOL - they are so funny.

DD doesn't do this, but I think I would be honest and say "I'm a little grumpy right now b/c you weren't listening when I asked you to ____, but I think I'll be happy when you ____"

I agree with this. DD does not do this, but I am getting the "I'm not your FRIEND!" sass-back when I scold her or put her in time out.

DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • I think my son does a similar thing.  After his timeout or when I'm done talking to him, he says, "I want you to smile...  I like your smiley face..."  I tell him it's not about me.  If he wants me to smile, he has to have good behavior.  I don't smile when he behaves badly.  It's really cute, though:)
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Smile  Yup. Harmon does it.  He especially wants reinforcement that I still love him.  I will tell him, "Harmon you are a good boy and I will always love you but when you "hit" that is bad and that is why you have to go for time out.  BUT I love you!!!"
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • That's so funny! Miles (in particular) does this to me. If I get mad, they'll all ask "Mommy, are you mad?" and I'll say yes, or "no, I'm just irritated" or frustrated or whatever.

But Miles is always saying, "Mommy, be happy!" which helps. :)

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Yep, DS does that exact same thing! If he gets in trouble, he just asks over and over "Mommy, are you happy?" and gets very upset if I say anything other than yes. He will keep checking in with me and trying to do/say things until I say I'm happy. I guess it's nice that he cares about my happiness.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yesterday in the car I heard "I am so sorry Mommy but I peed a little in my carseat but DONT be frustrated". :)
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrs Manners:

imageJune2007:
    What do you mean 'this never works'? Are you trying to get him to stop crying/whining during time out by answering him? DD would pull stuff like that during time out and I would say "you cant talk for __ minutes. We will talk when you're dOne with time out" then I ignore her until time is up. Then I would talk to her about feelings. For my DD she was very into feelings and was delaying her time outs by chatting.

Sorry...I should have been more clear. He's quiet and sits out his timeout. This happens AFTER the timeout or correction is over.

Oh that makes more sense. DD was over emotional like that for a phase, it was quite annoying. Tongue Tied I guess she out grew it or got over it but I would just say over and over "I love you very much but when you act like it makes me grumpy. Now that you're being nice I'm happy again!" If she kept whining/crying I would tell her that we could talk when she could use her big girl voice because I couldnt understand her, then leave her by herself or tell her she could go spend alone time in her room until she calmed down.

My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies. I just thought this was such an odd thing for him to do and he's been at it for months. We get the funniest looks if I correct him in public and he immediately starts quizzing me on my feelings. I handle the corrections quietly and calmly so it's not like I'm acting angry or annoyed or anything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"