January 2011 Moms
Options

Moving

When you move, do you slowly pack things away here and there? Or do you have a packing day and do it all at once?

We're moving in 5 days and I have 2.5 boxes packed. I keep looking at stuff and saying "oh, I'll pack that real quick the night before". Problem is, I say that about EVERYTHING. I'm not willing to give up any of my stuff for a week. What if I NEED the gravy boat?! Lol. Someone snap me out of this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving

• Options

My philosophy on moving is, if I haven't touched it in a month I'm not going to need it tomorrow (with the obvious exception of feminine hygiene stuff, lol).  And, the less I have to do on that day the better, because I'm going to die of exhaustion a minimum of 4 times that day.

Pick out 6 outfits and some jammies and pack the rest of your clothing.  Pack all your shoes except a pair of sneakers and a pair of black pumps if you plan on going to church.  Pack all your linens except for what you're using right now, an extra towel and an extra wash cloth.  You need one pot (a 3 or 4 quart) and one pan.  If you need more than that you need to re-evaluate what you're cooking... now is not the time to make eclairs from scratch.  At this point tbh I'd probably pack all my dishes and use paper plates and plastic spoons.  Pack all but 2 or 3 books.

• Options
    imagebroccolitree:

My philosophy on moving is, if I haven't touched it in a month I'm not going to need it tomorrow (with the obvious exception of feminine hygiene stuff, lol).  And, the less I have to do on that day the better, because I'm going to die of exhaustion a minimum of 4 times that day.

Pick out 6 outfits and some jammies and pack the rest of your clothing.  Pack all your shoes except a pair of sneakers and a pair of black pumps if you plan on going to church.  Pack all your linens except for what you're using right now, an extra towel and an extra wash cloth.  You need one pot (a 3 or 4 quart) and one pan.  If you need more than that you need to re-evaluate what you're cooking... now is not the time to make eclairs from scratch.  At this point tbh I'd probably pack all my dishes and use paper plates and plastic spoons.  Pack all but 2 or 3 books.

This statement has me cracking up. lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    imagebroccolitree:
    now is not the time to make eclairs from scratch.

This statement has me cracking up. lol

It was the first thing that came to mind that takes like a thousand pots to make.
  • Options

I am a procrastinator like you and all the little last minute things to pack take a million hours. I have moved quite a bit too but it was all in college and grad school so my accumulations weren't that much. My last move was covered as a part of my sign-on package when I took the job here, so the movers/ shippers helped me box everything and I just called the shots of where to put stuff... then whatever was not how it originally was, was covered under our company insurance...it was pretty nice. At any rate, it's also tough packing with a baby around, and what sucks is that we are still leasing so we don't know if we're moving yet until we find a place one month ahead of time.

Good luck!

• Options
    imagebroccolitree:

My philosophy on moving is, if I haven't touched it in a month I'm not going to need it tomorrow (with the obvious exception of feminine hygiene stuff, lol). And, the less I have to do on that day the better, because I'm going to die of exhaustion a minimum of 4 times that day.

Pick out 6 outfits and some jammies and pack the rest of your clothing. Pack all your shoes except a pair of sneakers and a pair of black pumps if you plan on going to church. Pack all your linens except for what you're using right now, an extra towel and an extra wash cloth. You need one pot (a 3 or 4 quart) and one pan. If you need more than that you need to re-evaluate what you're cooking... now is not the time to make eclairs from scratch. At this point tbh I'd probably pack all my dishes and use paper plates and plastic spoons. Pack all but 2 or 3 books.

This. We just moved and this is what we did. I started packing stuff up like a week or 2 before we moved. The big moving days are just insane. I did not make eclairs or go to church, but I did pray a lot. I'm glad its over. Good luck with your move! :)

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What Broccoli said!! Moving day is stressful enough - you won't want to be packing that day.
  • Options
    I like to pack things I definitely won't need first: books, throw pillows, guest bedroom stuff. I put it all in a spare room or space. I just keep adding to it as the days wind down. Once I get started it's that much easier to finish. I know you already know this but DON'T leave stuff to the last minute. The week before I like to pack like I'm going on a weeks vacation and only leave those things out. Pack up everything else. GOOD LUCK!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"