January 2011 Moms
Options

Holiday traditions?

Stolen from 9-12

What holiday traditions will you start with little one?

Halloween: pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins, decorating Halloween sugar cookies with friends & Night Eyes (fun and games at our local zoo in costumes)

Thankgiving: I need to think of something. I saw something on pinterest like a Christmas countdown but for the month of November you countdown days to Thanksgiving and have something new to celebrate and be thankful for each day: friends, health, pets, the color orange, etc

Christmas: We pick out our tree & visit Santa at a tree farm, put up outdoor lights & decorate the house the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The 1st Saturday of December I have a Gingerbread house decorating party for 10-15 kids. We have cookies for santa and reindeer food for the deer. I like to play Christmas music before bed at bath time most nights. I bake lots of treats to take to friends and neighbors. This year we will start having Santa (DH or BIL) show up at my in-laws for Christmas. That was a big tradition at my dad's parents.

I'm excited to hear everyone else's plans & traditions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Holiday traditions?

• Options

We don't really have any Halloween traditions except the standard trick-or-treat, decorate the house stuff.  Same for Thanksgiving.

Christmas is going to be really tricky for us, because her birthday is Christmas Eve, so I want to do something which is fun and uniquely for Her Birthday, but that means the holiday traditions are out for that day.  IDK.  I usually waited to decorate until December 1st because my birthday is right around Thanksgiving (the day after this year, but I was born on thxgiving day) and it irked me that it was enveloped by Christmas.  Whomp whomp, poor baby girl.

Every year the weekend before, one night we pile into the car with a thermos of hot cocoa and drive around to look at lights.  We also bake cookies (though I'm going to move the day because I used to do this on the Eve).  We have the most hideous tree topper that H grew up with.

The one thing we're 'fighting' over now is what to do about the tree.  We usually get a live tree.  H thinks we should just get a dinky tabletop tree since he thinks Joaquin is going to climb, eat, knock over, etc the full-sized tree.  I think we should get the full-sized tree, secure it with fishing line to the wall, and not hang the breakables for the next couple years.  But we'll see.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No Halloween traditions unless you count going to buy a pumpkin, which is pretty standard.

I decorate the house for Christmas on November 1st. This involves drinking hot cocoa and singing along to Christmas music. We start turning our lights on the day after Thanksgiving.

We go buy our tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

We buy those tasty chocolate advent calendars.

I always hang a mistletoe somewhere in the house so I can steal lots of kisses from H.

About a week before Christmas, we bake, decorate, and eat sugar cookies.

We eat ham for Christmas instead of turkey.

We open stockings on Christmas Eve and boxed gifts on Christmas morning.

I try to buy an ornament everywhere we go so that no two are the same (still working on this - we've on been on our own for a fews years).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't really have any traditions besides the usual what everyone else does. I have a question though, did you do all of this stuff when it was only your son?

I want to start some traditions (lol) sooo I was wondering if you did this stuff with your son when he was younger.

• Options
    Oh. Um.  One tradition we'd had before we had kids was that every Christmas Eve we had sex under the tree.  But uh.  I don't think we'll continue to do that.  At least, starting next year. lol.
  • Options
    I want to start some new traditions. I think most of it will be pretty typical. However, I really want to steal a tradition from a fruend of mine. Every year in Christmas Eve, they open a present. It is always new PJ's for everyone. They put them on and hang out in their new PJs watching movies and stuff. I really like that idea..though we probably won't watch movies for a long time. My main problem right now is how to divide the time between all the families and. Still make time for our own traditions and time together.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Why does this post have me crying? LIke real tears???

Halloween: pumpkin patch, hay ride, trick-or-treating

Thanksgiving: plan for now is to rotate each year between dinner with my mom and MIL. Dad is out for this holiday - sorry Pops. 

Christmas: This is tricky - like Rouens (sp?) I have to try to split time with 3 different families (dad & SM, mom & SD, and in-laws). Plus, dad's birthday is on Christmas Eve...so for now he's getting the boot. But, for sure Christmas Eve at my house with my mom's side, Christmas Day at my MIL's (who lives a few blocks away). Christmas morning presents from Santa & stockings filled with little presents. My H hates hates hates rigid schedules so I doubt I'll be able to institute a set day for Christmas decorating but we will definitely decorate outside the home and inside the home and I hope to bake cookies with JT when he gets older. Since Christmas falls on a weekend this year we'll see my dad on 12/23 and he'll come to my house for presents and his birthday cake. And like SweetHurricane we buy an ornament whenever we travel. 

Who knows - maybe I'll get a few more traditions as the years go on. 

• Options

Halloween - pumpkin patch, carving/decorating pumpkins, baking Halloween goodies, dressing up and going trick or treating (maybe not this year, but I am taking her to my old work and DH's work dressed up as a piggy!!)

Thanksgiving - Enjoying time with family and eating, eating and more eating!!!

Christmas - decorating the tree and house, baking cookies and other goodies, shopping, driving around one night to look at lights.

The holidays the past few years have been a bit different for me. My mother passed away 2 years ago, so my family traditions and such aren't the same. I am excited to start new ones with DD and DH.  

• Options

Broccoli: I'm picturing Joaquin coming downstairs because she thinks she hears Santa and finds a totaling scarring sight to always remember Christmas by. I definitely say no more sex under the tree unless she's at the grandparents ;)

Rouensdream: I love the PJ idea so cute. I'm stealing it too!

MrsLynnyD: Holiday stuff always makes me a bundle of emotions too, excited, sad everything.

Sarapick: I'm so sorry your mom has passed away. Holidays just aren't the same when someone is missing. I do feel like I appreciate that time with family a whole lot more though since my grandfather's passing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"