Breastfeeding
Options

Are BF problems hereditary?

Are breastfeeding issues hereditary?  My mom stopped nursing me a week and a half after I was born because I was losing weight.  She said she stopped nursing and never had any engorgement, leaking, fullness in her breasts so she thinks she wasn?t making any/much milk.  My aunt (my mom?s sister) also seemed to have some supply issues.  My half-aunt (my mom?s half sister) just had a baby a week and a half ago and has been told she needs to supplement with formula because her daughter is losing weight.  This makes me a little nervous because I would like to exclusively breastfeed.  Is there any correlation or family connection between milk supply?  TIA!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Anniversary

Re: Are BF problems hereditary?

• Options

I don't think so.  My mom never produced milk and I am still BFing my 16 month old AND pregnant with #2.  

If you're worried about having formula pushed on you contact your local le leche league for support.  I would also look into seeing a LC once the baby is born since it seems like those close to you aren't going to be able to be much support. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I was worried that I might have issues because my mom was never able to  breastfeed any of us 3 kids. My doc reassured me that it's not hereditary at all. I had some issues at the beginning (it's a huge learning curve for both you and baby) but most people do and mine was my LO wouldn't latch on. My mom's issue was different. I've been breastfeeding with no issues since my LO was 3 weeks old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I doubt it has ever been studied. My guess is no but without evidence I never say never. I am a genetic counselor and have never heard of low milk supply being hereditary. Tongue tie can be which can cause problems if multiple babies in the same family are tongue tied and can't nurse effectively.
  • Options
    Nipple structure however can be hereditary, inverted/flat nipples run in my family and so we tend to have more problems BFing than those with outies.  
  • Options
    No, I'm pretty sure it's not. My mom had mastitis within two weeks with both me and my brother (she also claims low supply, but she was supplementing with formula immediately, so maybe, maybe not) and quit nursing at a month with both of us, but all I had was a little trouble getting DS latched in the beginning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"