School-Aged Children
Options

Anyone have the LeapPad for a child 5-6-7 yrs old?

I'm curious on the true age range for this....B is 5.5, so I'm wondering if he's maybe too old for this, or will outgrow it quickly? 

All thoughts welcome....I'm also considering a DS for him (not sure which version).

Re: Anyone have the LeapPad for a child 5-6-7 yrs old?

• Options

My mother has bought one for each of my kids for Christmas.  She was so excited about getting them one and she spoils us (all of us) rotten.   I had wanted to get the kids either an itouch or DSi.  I have the same fears that it will be something that is outgrown quickly though its rated for ages 4-9.  The "apps" range from 15-25 bucks each and I don't want to get one game system and have to move onto the next within a year (buy all new games).  I do think the DSi will have a longer period of use.   Most of DDs friends who are 7+ have either a DS and/or itouch.  I haven't seen any leappads but they are relatively new.  

I feel bad telling her (my mom) no b/c of her excitement to get something different and I don't want to look like I am trumping her gift by getting them a DS or itouch. Hard place   So, maybe we will wait for birthdays (Aug/Sept) to get something different..IDK.   My point in telling you my Xmas drama is that I have the same fear. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD got a Leap Pad when she was about 4.  Now, this was the old, original LeapPad, not Leapster.  She was really into it when she was anywhere from 4 to 5 years old, but she lost interest in it after that.  Also, when other Leap systems came along, they stopped making LeapPad books.  

I know several families who have Leapster, and most moms have reported that their kids lost interest in it once they discovered "real" video games.  If you want to go the Leapster route, you might have more success keeping your child interested if you don't allow other video games and limit your child's access to games on your phone.

I am a fairly avid video game player, and I have a DS as do both of my children.  You might want to wait until your child is reading to invest in the DS.  There are games for DS that don't require reading ability, but many games that are most interesting to early school-age kids (Mario, Pokemon, Star Wars) require the child to be able to read to get the most out of the games.  Yes, they can play the games without reading, but they may get frustrated because they miss "clues."

Also, the current iteration of the DS is the 3DS.  Take a look at the demo next time you're in Wal-Mart or Best Buy.  I found it to be lacking.  You have to hold the game pretty close to your face to see the 3D, and your face has to be directly over the screen, with your gaze perpendicular to the screen.  If you tilt the the DS to one side or back and forth, you lose the 3D and get a blurry image instead.  Both my kids are BEGGING for it for Christmas, but I'm not sure I'm going to invest in two of the things.  I think Nintendo will move on to a new hand-held format, probably with better 3D, within a year or two.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

NB - thank you for all that.  I think the new LeapPad is worlds beyond the older version...there are games, apps, downloadable books, camera, video, etc on this one.  It has a motion sensor for pinball-like games, etc.  I don't have a smartphone, so they only time he gets time like that is with my H - maybe 1x/week for 30 min.  

He actually has been really persistent about getting a V.Reader.....so I may even do that.  We have two Leapsters (not the Explorer version) that I will likely sell.

I'm pretty set on the LeapPad for my almost-4 yr old DD, I was just stuck on which way to go for 5.5 yr old DS....I'm not sure we need two LeapPads....but of course I could just make it a joint gift, and they have to share play time (maybe keep one Leapster, I suppose?) or get the LeapPad and a V.Reader. 

Decisions, Decisions.  lol.

And thanks, also, SG. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"