January 2011 Moms
Options

Moms of big babies....

DS had his 9 month appointment yeseterday, and he e is 25 lbs and 29.5 inches long.  The results -- he's still big.  At least he's consistent (smile).  Pedi isn't worried, however, my ILs keeps commenting on his size and making jokes.  I used to laugh at the jokes, but now it's starting to bother me.  I generally have a good relationship with my ILs, but I am one step away from going off on one of them for talking about how gigantic my baby is, and how we should call him Tank.  How do you handle these type of situations?  Do you ignore them or fire back?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms of big babies....

• Options

I have a tall skinny baby so can't help ya out..but I really want to see a picture of your DS!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBrittDay03:

I have a tall skinny baby so can't help ya out..but I really want to see a picture of your DS!!

This!!  Every time we go to the doctor they measure and weigh her twice because her weight is usually in the 50th and her height is usually in the 95th.  

If you have a good relationship with them can you just calmly tell them that the comments are starting to bother you?  They're never going to stop if they don't know how you feel about it and I'm sure they don't want to be hurting your feelings.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If you have a good relationship with your ILs, I doubt their comments/jokes are meant to be insulting. They're probably trying to be complimentary. To give into some stereotypes, boys are "meant" to be "big and tough".

I wouldn't fire back comments. I would calmly say "I know you're probably trying to be kind, but I'm feeling kind of insecure about DS's size. Could you lay off the comments about his size?"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Maybe you can casually mention after they make a comment that you are afraid of giving your LO a complex so maybe we should lay off the "Tank" jokes for now.

A lot of people say my LO is big but it doesn't bother me so much...but if they were cracking jokes about it constantly I would be offended. 

• Options

Thanks everyone!  I think I will just nicely tell them to chill with the jokes.  Like MrsLynnyD said, I do not want my son to have a complex because his family keeps calling him Tank.  I rarely post pics on the bump anymore, but here is my son's 9 month picture that he took on Thursday.  I've also posted a picture he took about a month ago.  As you can see, he's not flabby at all.  He is a solid 25 lbs.

• Options
    He's sooooo cute!!! Look at that smile!
  • Options
    Honestly I just answer with "yep she's healthy size!" with an enthusiastic smile.   My daughter is pretty big too.  She's about 23lbs but not too sure how tall she is bc she is a squirmy worm.  At her 6 month appointment she was 30 or 31 inches so I'm guessing she's even taller bc she is growing out of clothes like crazy lately.
  • Options

I ignore comments that I don't like usually. Or say he is perfect the way he is. Jay was around 22 lbs and was 30in. I think he is a big boy but he is proportional and the pedi thinks he is doing great. He has been in the same % bascially sense he was born.

• Options
    ::dead::  Your son is freaking adorable!!!!!!
  • Options

Your son is gorgeous!

People will make comments no matter what. People make me feel like my kids are malnurished because they are 5-10% for weight and 95% for height. It gets old too.

If you're not comfortable talking to them about it. Tell you H to say "hey mom and dad I know you're just kidding around but Rhitch is sensitive about the baby's weight comments, could you lay off please?"

seriously he is so cute!

• Options

Our playgroup instructor told us not to refer to her as chunky or any sort of fat related names even though we're doing it as cute thing, like look at those chunky legs, I wanna eat them!! Anywho, she/ they/ MIL said the kids grow up to have a complex even though they are so young... I don't know how I feel about this but maybe you can tell them that?

I didn't think 25lbs at 9 mos is big, I have definitely heard of larger babies. At any rate, who cares if he is big... isn't this the time when you need to be big?? Honestly, I'd be annoyed with it too.

• Options
    imageRHitch:

Thanks everyone!  I think I will just nicely tell them to chill with the jokes.  Like MrsLynnyD said, I do not want my son to have a complex because his family keeps calling him Tank.  I rarely post pics on the bump anymore, but here is my son's 9 month picture that he took on Thursday.  I've also posted a picture he took about a month ago.  As you can see, he's not flabby at all.  He is a solid 25 lbs.

He is so cute!!

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"