Parenting after 35
Options

s/o of too many kids going to college

https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/20/social-mobility-myth-degree

An article from the UK.

I disagree with the author of this article  as she insists that everybody going to university is the answer to all of society's ills.

Re: s/o of too many kids going to college

• Options

What an annoying article. Sounds exactly like something that an idealistic overeducated trust fund princess would write - solve the socio-economic-education  disparity by sending everyone to post secondary. The UK has enough trouble trying to get kids to stay in school past 15/16 and eat healthy. Besides, a street sweeper with a BA is still a street sweeper.

I prefer to fit further education to the person. If they actually want to "do school" beyond high school, then there are tons of options outside university.I see nothing wrong with technical schools, vocational colleges or trade schools, or anything of the like. I would reather someone find their fit than be miserable and out of ther element.

I went to university - I should have gone to art school.

• Options
    I work at a college and think that half of the students are not ready for college yet it is just a lay-over between high school and real world. Many of these will go on to achieve great things....school is just not their thing. I know I would be a much better undergraduate if I had to work first...school is so much easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"