January 2011 Moms
Options

Not Crawling Yet...

My little one is not crawling yet.  He'll lean forward from a sitting position kind of up on his knees but with one leg caught in the wrong position and then go back to sitting.  He does not try to pull up much but there are not many things around our house to pull up on.  When he is on the hardwood floors he scoots himselft around on his bottom to stuff.

At what age should I be concerned aobut this?  The pedi did not seem overly concerned at his 9 month check-up but the 1 year one seems so far away.

My older son crawled at 9months & 1 day but did not walk until 14 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not Crawling Yet...

• Options

I don't think there's cause for concern based on this milestone alone since many babies never crawl at all and yet they walk within the typical timeframe nonetheless.  Sounds like your LO has a pretty effective method of getting around!  However, it never hurts to call your pedi for reassurance.

ETA: Hey our LO's have the same birthday!

FET to TTC #2: 9/29/14 Beta on 10/8/14 = BFP!
    DS #1 Born 1/3/11 after IVF #1
    4 failed IUIs, including 1 CP
    PCOS
    TTC since 2008

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker

• Options
    My co worker told me his son did not crawl, he just went straight from sitting to walking and cruising around 11 months. Don't worry, they learn really fast right now and soon your son will be all up in your biz haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sounds like your little one is going to start crawling any minute now. My guy would do the exact same thing right before he started to crawl. Some kids don't crawl at all. If your pedi isn't worried about it, then I'm sure it is fine. :)

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My neighbor's daughter scooted in a sitting position and then went right to walking.

I've only seen JT crawl on 3 occasions and it was only like 2 steps (or should I say "knees")...99.9% of the time he drags his belly. They find their own ways.

I don't know if it's ever cause for concern - some say they need to crawl before walking, others say it's not necessary. Who knows?! 

• Options
    I know some LO's never crawl. My neice started crawling around 10.5 months. Everyone is different. I am sure he will before then but I would not be to concerned if he didn.
  • Options
    It sounds like your LO is progressing developmentally. As long as that's happening, I don't think you have to worry. As pps have said, crawling is kind of a weird milestone. There are a million different ways of doing it and it's a step that lots of kids skip. He's figured out a way to get around, that's the goal, not the actual way of doing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options

My LO just figured out how to kick her leg around to move forward this weekend, she was stuck exactly like your LO is.  Don't worry momma, he will get it, and if not, no biggie.

• Options

I'm not usually on this board anymore, I'm on the facebook group, but there is really nothing to be concerned about. What you described is exactly the same thing my son was doing at 9 months.

He started crawling just days shy of turning 10 months of age. He also started to pull himself up to a standing position just days ago. He has been trying to crawl for a good two months. He'd get mad, use his face as a landing strip, practice bearing more weight on his arms and every failed attempt ended with him sitting up.

It first started out with him sitting on his bottom and did what appears to be 'breakdancing' moves. He'd sit there and shift his legs into different positions and go in circles while sitting. My pedi told me that's what babies do before they actually crawl. They perfect their balancing and are learning how their legs work. He also began to scoot and bounce on his bottom a month ago.

It took my LO some time to figure out how to untangle his legs and get them in the right position. He also needed to build up upper body strength, too. Your LO is right on the brink of making a breakthrough and will be crawling before you know it. Just give him plenty of safe and uninterrupted floor time to practice. That's all he needs and encourage him after each attempt.

Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
    5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
    6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"