Military Families
Options

Tricare gap coverage?

Hi all,

My husband is in the Navy and he's planning to get out at the end of his contract in March (hooray!). His command has given him the okay to take terminal leave February 17th until then. He's got a new job lined up across country that will start the beginning of March and health insurance with that company won't be available for the standard 60 day probationary period.

Here's where it gets more complicated- as you can see from my ticker, we're expecting and I'm due April 2nd. I know Tricare Prime will continue to cover us until the end of his contract in March but beyond that we're on our own.

I was told we could purchase something called Tricare gap coverage. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it the same level of coverage as Prime and would the baby be covered under it once it's born? I'll probably end up going down to the Tricare office and talking it out with them but I figured I'd ask you lovely ladies anyhow. Thanks in advance!

Pregnancy Ticker
imageimage

Re: Tricare gap coverage?

• Options

TRICARE has a program called Continued Health Care Benefit Program

https://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/home/overview/SpecialPrograms/CHCBP

CHCBP offers temporary transitional health coverage for 18-36 months after TRICARE eligibility ends. If you qualify, you can purchase CHCBP within 60 days of loss of eligibility for either regular TRICARE or Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) coverage...

Under certain circumstances, the following beneficiaries may be eligible to purchase CHCBP:

• Former active duty service members released from active duty (under other than adverse conditions) and their eligible family members. Coverage is limited to 18 months.
    • Unremarried former spouses who were eligible for TRICARE on the day before the date of the final decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment. Coverage is usually limited to 36 months however some unremarried former spouses may continue coverage beyond 36 months if they meet certain criteria. Contact Humana Military for details.
    • Children who cease to meet the requirements to be an eligible family member and were eligible for TRICARE on the day before ceasing to meet those requirements. Coverage is limited to 36 months.
    • Certain unmarried children by adoption or legal custody. Coverage is limited to 36 months

For more information about CHCBP, visit the CHCBP Web site or call 1-800-444-5445. Contact your regional contractor or a Beneficiary Counseling and Assistance Coordinator (BCAC) to discuss your eligibility for this program.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"