Hawaii Babies

mamas with LO in daycare come in!

So A has started his "trial" run of daycare (2 hours a day) - I've dropped him off twice at the woman's apartment/daycare and it was... rough.

Yesterday he was clearly overtired (that's a whoooooole 'nother issue), and basically started wailing as soon as she took him. She tried soothing him, rocking him, feeding him and nothing really worked for about 15 minutes. He finally started eating, and I left. When I arrived, he was crying (she said he had just woken up) but she held onto him for a little bit and sort of settled him.

Today, he wasn't as tired and seemed better - was smiling and laughing at DCP when I left. When I got there, he was still sleeping, but when he woke up he just started crying. Then started WAILING with little tears were streaming down his face (this was while she was still holding him). I felt so terrible :( And the poor 2 year old little boy she also watches kept going over to him and patting his head/rubbing his leg and giving him back his paci. Nothing really worked. She seemed unphased though, hah.

Question is (and this is a stupid one) -- can he really tell that it's not our apartment and not me? He's been fine with grandparents (all 3 sets) and my SILs when they watched him, but it was always in our apartment. Is it because he's in a new environment, plus being watched by someone he doesn't know?
I know that they can smell mama... but then why would he be okay with family? I thought they develop separation anxiety later...

I feel so bad since he seems upset that it's not me or DH there :( And I feel bad for her and the other kiddos because his wailing seems to have frightened them (the 2yo boy today, and a 9 mo old little girl yesterday)! 

Thanks in advance! 

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: mamas with LO in daycare come in!

• You're starting at exactly the same time we did.....one week shy of three months.  It was rough at first.  Yes, I do think they know it's not a familiar environment.  But the good news is, at least for us, that Henry go used to it pretty quickly.  We still have good days and rough days (though we do at home, too), but after a week or so he settled in a bit.  He got to know the other kids and caregivers, and now he runs to them when we arrive in the morning.  It takes time, but you'll get there!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry, listening to your baby cry is so rough!  They adjust so quickly though so I hope this passes quickly!

I do think LOs can sense different places, and just like everyone has a different personality the differences can affect LOs at different levels. On the upside, after he gets used to this place and learns it's a happy and fun place he should be able to be more adaptable in the future!

• Loading the player...
  • The first couple of weeks is really ROUGH. Baby cries so mommy cries :-P. It's normal though as he is getting used to the new place and his caregivers and his teachers are also getting to know him. When they all get the hang of it, it will get better. You will feel better too. Your LO will get used to the DC routine pretty quickly and the drop off will get better. DH drops off our LO and I pick her up. Sometimes she doesn't even wanna go home and just wants to continue playing! lol.
  • We only had LO in daycare for a short while but the beginning was definitely rough. Yup, at a very early age, babies know when they're in a new environment, so I think that should explain why he's crying with the DCP and not the relatives at your own home. I agree with what all the other ladies said already too that this happens to everyone--hang in there and when this adjustment period is over, it should hopefully be better. GL!
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Thanks, everyone! It's been slowly getting better; I think he's getting used to her and the other kids. She said he even took a 2 hour nap today. TWO HOURS?! Why can't he do that at home with mama?! Haha.
    cai(o)&cullen+ahk
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"