Minnesota Babies
Options

Are there any snow suits safe in car seats?

I am looking for a snow suit for my DD and am wondering if it's possible to get one that can go with her in her car seat?  I understand it can be dangerous to have kids wearing bulky jackets and snow suits in car seats, but I am also hating the idea of putting her in a freezing cold car seat all winter long with only a thin layer of clothes on.  How do you keep your LO warm in the car?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Are there any snow suits safe in car seats?

• Options
    I got DD a snowsuit for playing at home. I just ordered her a travel trench. I know someone else that has one and loves it. Sorry it's not clicky.

https://www.cjsuniqueboutique.com/?p=862
    imageimage
  • Options
    You could try the flease style ones
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we had a travel trench for K. I'll be making her something similar for this winter. 

and while you might be able to find something fleece to wear in the car, it won't be something thick enough for playing out in the snow. You can always put the coat on backwards over the straps too.  

• Options
    We have a snow suit for playing out in the snow, but not ever to go in the car.  He's usually in his regular clothes with a thinner fleece jacket and a blanket over him.  It's worked fine and he's a hot body so he sweats in his car seat even in winter.
  • Options
    Fleece sounds like a good idea when it's cold out, but what about when it's really frigid?  When the temp is below zero, DD is going to freeze in the car without a heavy winter coat on.  Are there really no other options?
  • Options
    If you warm up the car before you leave, I don't see this being an issue.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageGenevieve14:
    Fleece sounds like a good idea when it's cold out, but what about when it's really frigid?  When the temp is below zero, DD is going to freeze in the car without a heavy winter coat on.  Are there really no other options?

Warm up the car before you leave is one option if its really, really cold out.  But you'll find also that kids aren't affected by the cold nearly as much as we are because we're more aware of it.  As long as they're safely in their car seats a fleece blankie over them with a hat on will work just fine.  I won't comprimise the safety of my child just for warmth, because I never want to be in a position to say "what if I had..."  I've seen the videos of what can happen if a child is wearing a snow suit, I've read the articles...and quite frankly if its that cold out, we'll be staying in.

• Options

I think adults have preconceived misconceptions of fleece. It's much, much warmer than most adults give it credit for...but children are just fine in it. 

When it's really cold, I throw the snowsuit in the car, just in case of a break down or accident where we'd be out in the cold either waiting or walking. Otherwise, she's always been fine in her travel trench with a hat and mittens.  

• Options

if you're really really worried about it, you could get something like this: 

https://babypolargear.com/convertible_car_seat_cover.html

• Options

For Elliot last year, we had a playing outside coat, and a Columbia fleece jacket. 

He wore the fleece in below zero temps, and he's still alive and didn't lose any of his limbs due to frost bite.  

Worked just fine.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"