Hawaii Babies
Options

10/18: Health and Fitness Check-in

1. How are you feeling?

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals?

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week?

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS!

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor:

6. How do you stay motivated to stick to your diet/exercise plan?

7. How do you track your progress (scale, measurements, how clothes fit, etc.)?

8. Do you track calories? If so, what site do you use?

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 10/18: Health and Fitness Check-in

• Options

1. How are you feeling? A combination of "I'm awesome, look at my progress!" and "Are we there yet?" Stick out tongue

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? Same as usual. Operation: Fatass continues unabated.

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week? Nutrition - pretty much! I had one day - other than my cheat meal day - where I went over my calories by about 200cal, but otherwise it was all good.

Exercise - ehhh. Mostly, I guess, but there were two days last week when I didn't go on a walk because the boys and I were having a bad day and I just didn't feel like it. Funnily enough, I realized afterwards that doing that probably made things worse! We didn't get out of the house, they didn't end up at the playground to burn off energy so they made me even more crazy, etc. Helped me realize that although weight loss is my primary motivation for these walks, it's definitely not the only benefit!

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS! Ben told me the other day that my weight loss has gotten to the point where it's really noticeable. Party!!!

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor: 192lbs...getting closer to the 180s!

6. How do you stay motivated to stick to your diet/exercise plan? Booooooooots! The precious that I get to wear when I reach my goal weight:

LOL well, boooooooots and the positive feedback I get when the numbers on the scale drop. Yes, I know that a scale isn't the best/most accurate method of determining weight loss, BUT with the amount I'm overweight, it's fine. When I'm within 10lbs or so of my goal weight I'll probably have to start assessing differently, but for now it's working for me.

7. How do you track your progress (scale, measurements, how clothes fit, etc.)? Right now, the scale and a waist measurement. My body is such a wonky shape these days (I was an hourglass pre-baby and am an apple these days) that it's often hard for me to judge how clothing fits - I know that sounds dopey.

8. Do you track calories? If so, what site do you use? Livestrong - so far I like it.

I have a question if anyone else is using it though - when I enter in a food, if I enter it more than a couple of times, the program stars the item as a favorite and brings it up first in the list when I start typing. BUT it doesn't do this for exercise.

I enter 2x "walking, pushing a stroller" every.single.day but it won't acknowledge that as a favorite. Is that just not a feature available for exercise, or is there a box I need to tick somewhere to turn that on? Because it would be really handy...walking with a stroller is like 50th on the list and having to scroll down all the time is annoying. (Yeah I know - I have lame problems in life lol.)

- Growing up, how health and fitness oriented was your family?
    - Do you have health and fitness goals for your family? How do you incorporate (or plan to incorporate) these into your daily life?
    - What is your nutrition/exercise weakness, and how do you deal with it?

Edit: forgot the second half of my last question for future check-ins! All fixed now. Smile

* the artist formerly known as redshoegirl *
    life in oz

• Options

I feel like I shouldn't even bother responding this week since I have made zero progress, but...here I go.

1. How are you feeling?  Still blah.  Probably wasn't a good idea to weight myself this morning. 

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals?  Eat healthier.  My tummy has been a mess since we've been eating so crappy so I'd like to just eat cleaner to feel better at this point.  I think I might start running since the weather is cooling down.  My friend wants to do a half marathon in January but I'm not sure I'm up for the travel.

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week? HA. 

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS! Well, I went grocery shopping today and bought lots of fruits and veggies.  It's a start.

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor:  I am now 9 lbs from my ultimate goal.  I'm moving in the wrong direction, though.

6. How do you stay motivated to stick to your diet/exercise plan?  I don't, which is why I am where I am at this point.  :/

7. How do you track your progress (scale, measurements, how clothes fit, etc.)?  Scale and how my clothes fit.  And just looking in the mirror I can tell I've gained a couple lbs.  It's really easy to see even 2 lbs when you're so petite. 

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins?  Meal ideas.  I struggle with breakfast the most because I want to eat something that is quick and easy to prepare.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I wish I liked yogurt since it's healthy and quick but it makes me gag.  I feed Kaya yogurt every morning and I am puzzled as to how she can think it tastes good.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesanae78:

I feel like I shouldn't even bother responding this week since I have made zero progress, but...here I go.

Join us, anyway. Wherever you're at, it can be great motivation to keep doing better!

• Options

1. How are you feeling?

Good, but I think I need to step it up and make some new goals so I feel better and better each week.

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals?

Still shooting for a clean diet and regular exercise. My goal was 2 days per week, but I'm going to say it should be 3 days/week now. 

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week?

Pretty much. I still could do better nutrition-wise -- making more time to plan for meals and having healthy options already prepared for lunch and snacks -- but overall, I'm satisfied. In the exercise department, I worked out 3 days this week, each for about an hour. I haven't had any real sweat-fests lately, but my main priority is to make exercise a habit again, so I guess that's OK for now.

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS!

I weighed myself at A's doctor visit and lost 3 pounds since we started this check-in thing. I'm happy at this weight, but still need to tone up more.

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor:

6. How do you stay motivated to stick to your diet/exercise plan?

I tell my friends and family my goals and that helps me to feel like I have to and want to meet them. It also encourages me to incorporate activity into social outings, which makes sure that I get the exercise done AND have fun. This week, for example, I met my girlfriend for a 2.5 mile walk around the park rather than just sitting around having tea. We've also been going on long walks as a family, which is great for bonding, too. 

On days when I'm really not motivated, I remind myself that by following through with good choices, I'm training my body to crave these healthy things (nutrition and exercise), which will make it easier to stick to a healthy lifestyle in the long run. I also love how I feel after taking care of myself in these ways, and that's great motivation, too. I'm pretty good at playing mind games with myself. ;)

7. How do you track your progress (scale, measurements, how clothes fit, etc.)?

I judge by how I look naked and by doing pinch tests. I also can tell if I'm in a good place by how confident I feel wearing my pre-pregnancy fitted tanks.

No.

• Options
    imagesanae78:

9. What other questions would you like to add to future check-ins?  Meal ideas.  I struggle with breakfast the most because I want to eat something that is quick and easy to prepare.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I wish I liked yogurt since it's healthy and quick but it makes me gag.  I feed Kaya yogurt every morning and I am puzzled as to how she can think it tastes good.

I don't really like breakfast food and yogurt doesn't fill me up, even though I like it. I could also use new ideas since I usually just have coffee and something small, followed by an early lunch.

Do you like oatmeal? Every now and then I get on an oatmeal kick and whip up a big batch of Coach's oats made with milk and raisins. You can keep it in the fridge for a few mornings, too. I just reheat, add more milk and honey. Very filling, smooth, and pretty tasty.

We also do scrambled eggs a lot. Very easy to add in veggies (frozen spinach is really fast) and/or cheese (adds calories, but also makes it way more satisfying, which is worth the trade-off for me). Those can also be made in a big batch and divvied up over a couple mornings.

Last suggestion is smoothies. The spinach-fruit one I posted on FB is a fave, as well as Silk chocolate milk+frozen strawberries+a banana. A loves those, and it's always good when the LO can eat what you eat, too. :)

• Options
    imagelola808:
    imagesanae78:

Join us, anyway. Wherever you're at, it can be great motivation to keep doing better!

This! I forgot to mention it in my "what keeps you motivated" answer, but this check-in really has helped me. 

imagelola808:

We also do scrambled eggs a lot. Very easy to add in veggies (frozen spinach is really fast) and/or cheese (adds calories, but also makes it way more satisfying, which is worth the trade-off for me). Those can also be made in a big batch and divvied up over a couple mornings.

We do a lot of scrambled eggs in our house too. We don't pre-cook them, but I do make them in the microwave - it's really easy, very fast (2 min, start to finish), and you don't need any grease to keep them from sticking so it's also lower in fat than scrambling them in a pan (plus it dirties fewer dishes). Toss in a piece of wholegrain toast and some fruit, and it's a well rounded meal!

life in oz

• Options

Melissa, 3 lbs!  Like you need to lose 3 lbs!  But, good job, anyways.  Big Smile  I have gained about 3 since I saw you and here's what's really depressing - I just put on one of my fave pairs of jeans and they are TIGHT.  Like, I've got a mini muffin top and it's squeezing my thighs tight.  That's some motivation, right there.  Now that we're back and have no travel plans (besides Hawaii), I can get back on track a little easier.

We eat eggs quite a bit, too.  This morning I had an omelet with spinach and turkey sausage.  Planning to make an egg casserole type thing with spinach and zucchini and maybe more of that turkey sausage so we have breakfast for several days.  We used to eat cereal ALL.THE.TIME. but have been trying to cut grains.  B wants to do a 30-day paleo diet (no grains, dairy or legumes) but I'm not sure I can handle it.  I do like oatmeal and thought about buying some steel cut oats yesterday but it's not paleo so I didn't.

So Lisa, just 2 min in the microwave?  I didn't know!  I'll have to try that.  When I made mine this am I just wilted the spinach in a little EVOO and then poured the egg on top and the turkey sausage.  I'm not much of a cook so it's all just experimental but it worked ok.  

• Options
    imagesanae78:
    B wants to do a 30-day paleo diet (no grains, dairy or legumes) but I'm not sure I can handle it.  I do like oatmeal and thought about buying some steel cut oats yesterday but it's not paleo so I didn't.

So Lisa, just 2 min in the microwave?

Well, it depends on how many eggs you're making - I find it's about 1 min per egg (in my microwave, anyway). Just scramble them in a bowl or mug with a bit of milk, stick it in the microwave and voila!

If you decide to go for paleo, let me know how it goes. There's no way I could do it, but I find it interesting. I'm not sure I quite understand the philosophy though - I mean, I get that cavemen ate meat and fruit/veggies and little else. I just don't get the reasoning about grains being bad for us (what I mean is that it doesn't seem impossible that we've evolved since caveman times to have grain in our diets, kwim? Processed sugar, sure, but even wholegrains?). But I really haven't read that much about it, so if I have the philosophy wrong, definitely let me know. Smile

life in oz

• Options
    Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow. :) As for paleo, I agree with you and I'm not 100% a believer. But B listens to this paleo webcast and has told me about it. Basically Rob Wolfe is a biochemist and has apparently studied it and says that grains irritate the gut and cause leaky gut which in turn causes autoimmune diseases and I dunno what else. My cousin, who is super athletic and was in the finals of the Crossfit Games the past two years, eats paleo. If you google crossfit 808 you can find her blog and some info on paleo, including recipes. I kinda want to read The Paleo Solution but I'm sort of inclined to just eat paleo-ish. I mean, I'm Japanese for goodness sake. I can't totally give up rice! LOL. But anyways, I think you're supposed to do strict paleo for 30 days then you can slowly reintroduce grains and see how you feel. I kinda wanna try it just to see if it helps my tummy, which seems to get upset a lot.
  • Options

1. How are you feeling? SO.TIRED.  We are so tired after taking care of J during is all night puke parties.  On Weds. I got up to go to the gym at 5:30 and came back and DH had not even realized I left. 

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? work out at gym 4/week and run/walk 3/week.  We have fully adopted a clean eating nutritional goal and we feel really good about it.  I don't eat out at work anymore but we do occasionally go out for dinner - especially since we have had lots of visitors lately but I just try to make the best choice I can.

3. Did you meet your nutrition and exercise goals for the week? yes.  even though I can barely keep my eyes open.

4. Share at least one recent health- or fitness-related SUCCESS! got to "shop" the previously too small on me clothes bin in storage to find a pair of jeans to wear last weekend.  (won't call them skinny jeans, because I know I can do better)

5. Optional weigh-in or progress monitor: 3.6% lbs. lost since Sept. 13. 

6. How do you stay motivated to stick to your diet/exercise plan? Well, knowing I pre-paid for the personal trainer sessions helps but also I do have more energy and can't wait to feel even better about the way I look.

7. How do you track your progress (scale, measurements, how clothes fit, etc.)? all of the above.

8. Do you track calories? If so, what site do you use? I use myfitnesspal.com the food entry area is really convenient - I like how it saves all my info.  I don't use the exercise tracker though.  After I have a pretty good idea of portion size of a particular item or meal plan I get a little lax on entering but it has been a great tool.

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? work out at gym 4/week and run/walk 3/week.  We have fully adopted a clean eating nutritional goal and we feel really good about it. 

You're a rockstar! Especially since you're hauling it out of bed at 5:30 am to accomplish it! I'll remember this whenever I'm in need of motivation.

• Options
    imagelola808:
    imageMauiWedding08:

2. What are your current nutrition and exercise goals? work out at gym 4/week and run/walk 3/week.  We have fully adopted a clean eating nutritional goal and we feel really good about it. 

You're a rockstar! Especially since you're hauling it out of bed at 5:30 am to accomplish it! I'll remember this whenever I'm in need of motivation.

aww, thanks.  actually I find that I have more energy on days I get up SO EARLY.  I do get really tired by the evening though.  But that isn't that bad because I don't accomplish much from 9-11pm anyways so it's probably better if I go to bed early. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"