Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Nursery is 9x9 - need some advice

We are just starting to work on our nursery - we're adopting so we have some time.

The room is small - 9x9 - and painted pale yellow that we'll keep. Just wondering if any of you have nurseries this size and, if so, what furniture you think is most important to include. Obviously a crib and I'm thinking a dresser that can double as a changing table. What else??

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Nursery is 9x9 - need some advice

• Options

We have a small room too, ours MIGHT be 10x10 with a small closet. If I remembered how to upload pictures I would, but in ours we have a crib (obviously) since the room is so small and we figured we would need the storage, we decided to go with a crib that has a drawer underneath it, Baby Bargains said they are pretty much a waste, but I am VERY GLAD we did that, we store all his blankets under there! We do have the dresser that doubles as a changing table, I also have a small book shelf ( I am a teacher and LOVE books!) we also have a cube organizer from Target to put some toys, and other stuff in the baskets. We also put one in the closet. The one in the closet it suppose to stand but we laid it on the side, and I store his extra diapers, wipes, sheets etc.

In the corner we have one of those nets hanging so put all his stuffed animals in. 

I'll try to figure out how to upload pics tonight so you can see!  

Congrats on your Adoption!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We have 2 sets of shelves, crib, wooden rocking chair, small side table and small changing table with storage underneath.

TIP: To save space, the crib has a short end against the wall, not the long end against the wall. It saved us enough wall space so we could have more shelving; however we lose floor space. It was  trade off. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I saw some changing tables that have drawers and a shelf for baskets to keep small stuff in.  A friend of mine put a shoe keeper (the one with the plastic pouches) on the inside/back of the closet door to keep toys, socks, etc in to save space in their nursery. 
  • Options
    I agree that a crib with a drawer underneath is a good idea.  Another option is to get a storage ottoman that can double as seating and storage for extra linens or toys.
  • Options

Ours is 8'4"x8'4".  We have a crib, 3-drawer changing table/dresser, glider, and side table.  We also have a rocking horse and a basket of toys on the floor.  Everything fits fine!

I found that it was important to check the measurements of the furniture I was buying.  We have a standard size crib, but it doesn't have fancy extra molding on the outside that makes it take up more space.  We got a modern style upholstered glider from BRU that takes up less space than most gliders.  We skipped the ottoman because we don't have room.  We got a small dresser that only has room for a changing pad on top.

So... you can fit all the essential pieces, but you need to find smaller scale furniture to make it work.

ETA: We are also storing things under the crib, but didn't purchase a crib with a storage drawer underneath.  You can just buy a rubbermaid container or something similar to slide under there.  You can hide it with a crib skirt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our nursery is about this size. We bought a crib and a dresser that can be used as a changing table. We also bought a chair and ottoman that I couldn't bear to not buy...probably not our smartest purchase but I know I'll love that thing when I start nursing.

We have a pretty good sized reach-in closet that I plan to use extensively. I'm getting different size bins and hanging shelf things to help organize stuff. The hanging shelf things can hold hard or soft items, and I can put bins in them as well.

I saw in PP that folks bought shoe storage things to go on the back of the door--that might be something we do as well. Right now, I'm planning to put up a few floating shelves to hold changing supplies and some books, and a bookshelf inside the closet if I have room. The layout of the nursery just doesn't allow for a bookshelf...and we LOVE books. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ours is this size too. We got a crib that has the changing table attached to the side (and also has a drawer underneath), a taller dresser, and a glider. The changing table also has a hamper and shelves underneath, and we maximized closet space with shelves and baskets. You could also do wall shelves if you needed additional storage.
    Here is our crib if you want an idea - we think it helped to save space. Also by not using the dresser for the changing table, we had room to put things on the dresser, like a lamp, cd player, and humidifier, etc. Just our preference.
    Good luck!! 
  • Options
    My suggestion would be wall shelves to put toys, etc on so they don't really take up any space, and storage underneath the crib, as others have said. Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    our nursery is tiny also and we have cramed in 2 cribs and a dresser that is also a changing table. DH took doors off the closet and we painted and put in a nice looking organizer so its just open to the room now and we have a built in bookshelf. thats all we have room for though. I think the changer dressing table is a must for a small space though! GL
  • Options

Our nursery is 9x10, and I found the best thing to do to keep it from getting cluttered was to choose furniture that fit the scale of the room. We have a dresser just big enough to use as a changing table, a streamlined crib and glider, and we build a bookshelf that hangs on the wall instead of taking up floor space.

You can see more in my blog linked in my siggy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    our nursery is also 9 by 9.  Ours is going to have a crib, 3 drawer dresser that will be used as a changing table and a glider/ottoman.
  • Options
    Ours is 8x10 and we have: crib (with container underneath to store sheets etc in), quilt rack (for blankets, sling, etc-this is not an essential but nice), rocking chair, garbage can, laundry bin, wet pail for cloth diapers, and a 3 drawer dresser that has a change pad on top.
  • Options

THANK YOU!!!!! First, I am relieved that we are not the only ones with a nursery on the smaller side. All the pictures you see on the web are of these huge rooms and I was beginning to feel terrible!

All of the advice is AWESOME and I really am grateful for your help! I've printed everything so I can have it with me when we are shopping.

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"