Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Moving up a nipple size - poke a new hole

Yes, I know how backwoods this sounds, but I'm going to ask anyway. I mentioned to my mom that I was going to pick up the next size of nipples for DS and she looked at me like I had two heads. Then she asked why I don't just heat a needle and poke a new hole in one of the nipples that I have.

Does anyone else do this anymore? It makes sense. If I ruin the nipple, it was too small for DS now anyway, right?

Re: Moving up a nipple size - poke a new hole

• Options
    I think there might be concern about not getting a clean hole and bacteria festering. I would just buy new ones.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

imageOUKap:
    I think there might be concern about not getting a clean hole and bacteria festering. I would just buy new ones.

Sterilize needle with ethanol or a flame or sterilize the nipple when you're done.  And you're washing between uses.  No biggie.  Try it.  No harm no foul.  The only thing I can think of is you might need something bigger then a needle to make a hole about the same size.  Maybe YH has some very small drill bits (mine does...that's why I thought about that)...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd be afraid that the new hole would completely open up once you used it a few times, but it doesn't hurt to try.  I tried cutting a nipple once for DS to take cereal (per pedi's instructions b/c of reflux) and the small cut just continued to spread until the entire top of the nipple was split.  But a hole might not do that.  Try it!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just bought the next size, poking new ones never seem the same, the holes are always a little wonky. It doesn't really matter though. I just think it's so convenient now they even make cereal nipples. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Poking a new hole will weaken the nipple and make it more prone to tearing. I would just buy the next size nipples rather than risk the nipple ripping and your LO either choking because he gets flooded with milk or choking on a piece that rips off.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"