Options

Elective C-section

Re: Elective C-section

• Options
    imageTheMrsRN:
    imageSheazier:
    imageasyph107:

imageSheazier:
    Several friends in my profession have indicated that they much preferred having a C-section to vaginal delivery.  Recovery was faster for them and labor was more convenient, as it was scheduled and relatively quick.  They were able to get back to work sooner - two of them were able to field client phone calls the day after labor while in the hospital.  Obviously, not all surgeries are the same, but I have heard positive things overall from these particular individuals.  I am taking a childbirth class in two weeks.  Being out of touch with the office for an unpredictable amount of time while going through a vaginal delivery is not in my best interest as far as work is concerned, but I will do it if it is medically necessary.

Your reasons don't seem like enough to make any OB with sense in their brain to allow that. I had an emergency c/s with my first and I am having a planned c/s with this one because of challenges last L & D. It is tough, not as breezy as your friends are describing. I know many women who have had vaginal births and are up and about 10X faster than with a c/s. Hey to each their own but as much as I LOVE my job and like being a planner if you don't have to have your stomach muscles cut wide open and heal from that while caring for a newborn, why would you?

I'm not sure why a doctor would not allow it.  It seems to be something that many women I know have chosen.  In fact, their doctors preferred the convenient scheduling as well.  My husband will be a stay at home dad, so I will be helping him care for the baby as soon as I am able.  There are many things that could go wrong with a vaginal delivery and there are many things that could go wrong with a C-section.  Birth is traumatic and, unfortunately, time-consuming.  I have already had to cancel two business trips because the pregnancy has not gone as smoothly as I would have hoped.  I wish we could all have the right to choose how we would like our bodies treated during this time.  I wish I could decide what is best for me and my situation. 

Hmmm.....I am starting to sense MUD.......

I googled "MUD" and really have no idea what that means.  Usually I can ask my niece what these internet abbreviations ("LO" "DH" "DS") mean, but you got us both with that one!  Am I showing my age?? Haha.

• Options

"MUD"  - made up drama - a Bump term for when people just post to stir stuff up.  FWIW, I never thought this was MUD. Usually  MUD is pretty obvious.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJanimal:

"MUD"  - made up drama - a Bump term for when people just post to stir stuff up.  FWIW, I never thought this was MUD. Usually  MUD is pretty obvious.

Ah, thank you.  No, I didn't make anything up.  I have learned a few things from some posters that have different perspective and it proved helpful.  I have some new questions to ask my doctor.  I am still trying to learn how to use/interpret these boards.  I need a crash course on "internet speak" (as my niece calls it), but other than that, I value the utility of these message boards. 

• Options

imageSheazier:
    You take a risk either way.  Everything is a cost-benefit analysis.

The reality is, however, that the risks are not equal.  We're talking about something really important...the health of your body, the health of your baby, and the health of any future pregnancies and children you may have.  I understand work concerns are incredibly important, but are they really above health concerns?  Really?

And as I said before, if your reasons are purely work-related I think the cost-benefit analysis leans toward NOT having a c-section.

• Options

Like PP have said, the odds of you having your baby on or before it's due date is pretty unlikely. It seems selfish to me to want a c-section just so you can go to work. Why don't you let your LO stay in there until it's ready to come out. Even if it is before, you will be up and about quicker than after having a c-section. From what I gathered for your other responses you plan to pop this baby out then hand it off to your husband to take care of so you can work/lay in bed and heal from your c-section?! That doesn't seem fair. 

This sounds more and more like MUD the longer this goes on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagebeedawn:

Like PP have said, the odds of you having your baby on or before it's due date is pretty unlikely. It seems selfish to me to want a c-section just so you can go to work. Why don't you let your LO stay in there until it's ready to come out. Even if it is before, you will be up and about quicker than after having a c-section. From what I gathered for your other responses you plan to pop this baby out then hand it off to your husband to take care of so you can work/lay in bed and heal from your c-section?! That doesn't seem fair. 

It's not MUD, it's just reality.  I am the sole breadwinner in the house and I need to get back to work in a timely manner.  I have clients and responsibilities outside of family and don't have the luxury or desire to take a bunch of time off.  What's so hard to understand about that?  I don't get how ANY of this is controversial?  In my world and in my circles all of this is perfectly normal.  I don't like being accused of making something up when all I did was ask an honest question to a specific audience.  So far, I have not received any answers from someone who actually HAD an elective C-Section, which is the audience to whom I posed the question.  Instead, I have a bunch of people who obviously want NOTHING TO DO with C-sections creating drama in their self-righteous holier-than-thou responses.  I'm sick of it.  If you don't think I should be getting a C-section, that's your business.  But the question wasn't posed to YOU unless you've had one.  YOU are the one creating drama, not me!  I have been very polite in my responses to people! 

• Options

If you need to get back to work in a timely manner, don't elect for a c-section.

If you need only positive feedback to confirm a decision you've already made, don't ask the internet.

• Options
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:

It's not MUD, it's just reality.  I am the sole breadwinner in the house and I need to get back to work in a timely manner.  I have clients and responsibilities outside of family and don't have the luxury or desire to take a bunch of time off.  What's so hard to understand about that?  I don't get how ANY of this is controversial?  In my world and in my circles all of this is perfectly normal.  I don't like being accused of making something up when all I did was ask an honest question to a specific audience.  So far, I have not received any answers from someone who actually HAD an elective C-Section, which is the audience to whom I posed the question.  Instead, I have a bunch of people who obviously want NOTHING TO DO with C-sections creating drama in their self-righteous holier-than-thou responses.  I'm sick of it.  If you don't think I should be getting a C-section, that's your business.  But the question wasn't posed to YOU unless you've had one.  YOU are the one creating drama, not me!  I have been very polite in my responses to people! 

Well it's unfortunate that storks don't really drop babies off at your front door when it's convenient for you. You haven't received any answers from someone who had an elective c-section because most people care about the health and well-being of their child over their job duties. There is a c-section board over to the left that would have been a better audience ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageoverture:

If you need to get back to work in a timely manner, don't elect for a c-section.

If you need only positive feedback to confirm a decision you've already made, don't ask the internet.

I didn't ask the internet as a whole, I directed the question towards those who have elected for a C-section. So far the only point on target was the one made about health insurance possibly not covering it.  Get over yourself. 

• Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:

Well it's unfortunate that storks don't really drop babies off at your front door when it's convenient for you. You haven't received any answers from someone who had an elective c-section because most people care about the health and well-being of their child over their job duties. There is a c-section board over to the left that would have been a better audience ;)

It is unfortunate.  Thank goodness we have modern medicine and can control these things.  There are many, many women who get elective C-sections.  Just because you may not know any, doesn't make it any less true. 

• Options
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:

It is unfortunate.  Thank goodness we have modern medicine and can control these things.  There are many, many women who get elective C-sections.  Just because you may not know any, doesn't make it any less true. 

You're right, celebrities and selfish people get elective c-sections. I never said that NO ONE get elective c-sections, I said that no one on here has because most people care about the health and well-being of their child and don't want to have their baby before it's ready and run back to work the next day. Having a baby is going to be quite the reality check for you. Maybe you should have scheduled your pregnancy when it was more convenient for you and your work schedule. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageSheazier:

I could also take 12 weeks off paid leave if I choose.

imageSheazier:
      I have clients and responsibilities outside of family and don't have the luxury or desire to take a bunch of time off.  What's so hard to understand about that?  I don't get how ANY of this is controversial? 

I don't like being accused of making something up when all I did was ask an honest question to a specific audience.  So far, I have not received any answers from someone who actually HAD an elective C-Section, which is the audience to whom I posed the question.  

You DO have the luxury of taking time off, as you previously stated that you can take up to 12 weeks PAID...there's a LOT of women who can't even take 12 weeks unpaid, let alone paid. You are EXTREMELY lucky with that option.

It's controversial because the health of you and your baby should take priority over clients. Sure, there are risks with both c-sections and vaginal births...but you are jeopardizing more by opting to have a c-section when it's not necessary for anything other than something selfish. How would you feel if you opted for a c-section too early and your baby had to go to the NICU because their lungs weren't developed enough?

And sure, you may have directed the post towards women who have opted to have elective c-sections. However, it's the internet and a public message board. You cannot control who responds to you or what they say. If you simply wanted people who agree with everything you have said, then you should've directed your question to the people in your social circle that have done the same selfish thing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSheazier:
    So far the only point on target was the one made about health insurance possibly not covering it.  Get over yourself. 

If you think the only "on target" reason for you to not elect for a c-section is the insurance issue, you missed most of the posters' points entirely.  It really doesn't sound like you have done any research about the risks and recovery involved with c-section vs. with a vaginal birth.  Forget what's best for the baby, I'm talking about your body and your ability to get back to your daily routine.  Read up.  Yes, you might know a couple of women who had great c-section recoveries.  Increase your sample size.  I guarantee the more you look around, the more you'll discover that the majority of women who had a c-section would rather have recovered from a vaginal birth.

I'm leaning toward MUD now too. 

• Options
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:

You're right, celebrities and selfish people get elective c-sections. I never said that NO ONE get elective c-sections, I said that no one on here has because most people care about the health and well-being of their child and don't want to have their baby before it's ready and run back to work the next day. Having a baby is going to be quite the reality check for you. Maybe you should have scheduled your pregnancy when it was more convenient for you and your work schedule. 

I would love to see you say this to my face.  Honestly.  I would love to meet you and have you say this to me in person. You never would because you are a coward.  You can hide behind the anonymity of the internet and say whatever you want from the comfort of you smug little corner of the world without fear of ramification.  People like you thrive on the anonymity to make them feel better about themselves.  Your sense of inadequacy and low self-esteem permeates throughout your senseless comments to me and indicates that you, truly, have nothing to contribute to this conversation, and probably to any relationships that you currently have.  You are a bully and one day you will get yours and there will be no one there to comfort you. I hope, for your sake, that you can one day deal with your personal issues.  I feel sorry for you, for your children that you will probably raise to be bullies, and for anyone that has the misfortune of having to deal with you on a daily basis while you remain untreated for your psychological issues.

• Options

imageSheazier:
     I feel sorry for you, for your children that you will probably raise to be bullies, and for anyone that has the misfortune of having to deal with you on a daily basis while you remain untreated for your psychological issues.

Bwahaha the classic "I feel sorry for you, your kids, etc."

• Options
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:
    imageSheazier:
    imagebeedawn:

I would love to see you say this to my face.  Honestly.  I would love to meet you and have you say this to me in person. You never would because you are a coward.  You can hide behind the anonymity of the internet and say whatever you want from the comfort of you smug little corner of the world without fear of ramification.  People like you thrive on the anonymity to make them feel better about themselves.  Your sense of inadequacy and low self-esteem permeates throughout your senseless comments to me and indicates that you, truly, have nothing to contribute to this conversation, and probably to any relationships that you currently have.  You are a bully and one day you will get yours and there will be no one there to comfort you. I hope, for your sake, that you can one day deal with your personal issues.  I feel sorry for you, for your children that you will probably raise to be bullies, and for anyone that has the misfortune of having to deal with you on a daily basis while you remain untreated for your psychological issues.

I would gladly say it to your face. I am an honest person and if you are going to go on the internet asking for people's opinions on something so selfish then you should expect honest answers from people educated about birth. Like PP said, if you wanted your electice c-section idea to be praised then you should have ran to your social circle of people who are too selfish to care about their child's health, and also had elective c-sections. You clearly need to go read a book, or do more research on this topic because you have only given ONE reason not to go through with this, which was the money aspect. But, since you are the breadwinner and won't be taking off of work, I'm sure you can foot the $35,000 bill from the hospital for your c-section and also the huge bill from your child being in the NICU for all the health related issues you caused by taking them out before they were ready. 

You sound like quite the hypocrite there. I never once "bullied" you or pointed out that you have personal issues, besides being selfish which is very obvious. My children will be raised in a loving home where each parent participates 100% in every aspect of the family. They will be taught to speak their mind and be honest no matter what. 

You are not coming off to be very educated.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageoverture:

imageSheazier:
    So far the only point on target was the one made about health insurance possibly not covering it.  Get over yourself. 

If you think the only "on target" reason for you to not elect for a c-section is the insurance issue, you missed most of the posters' points entirely.  It really doesn't sound like you have done any research about the risks and recovery involved with c-section vs. with a vaginal birth.  Forget what's best for the baby, I'm talking about your body and your ability to get back to your daily routine.  Read up.  Yes, you might know a couple of women who had great c-section recoveries.  Increase your sample size.  I guarantee the more you look around, the more you'll discover that the majority of women who had a c-section would rather have recovered from a vaginal birth.

I'm leaning toward MUD now too. 

I'd just like to comment on this.

A lot of women who had horrible recoveries were those who labored for hours/days on end, and then had complications resulting in an emergency c-section (I researched this quite a bit with my last pregnancy).  Their bodies were already spent by the time they went in, and their babies were at risk while attempting a vaginal birth.

The risks drop quite a bit and the recovery tends to be much better when a c-section is either scheduled, or non-emergency.  Mine was considered to be "elective" or non-emergency since I only labored for maybe 7 hours (I slept, quite happily, with an epidural) - there was failure to progress, and my OB gave me the choice of continuing to labor, or to have a c-section - and I chose c-section.  It was easy, quick, I breastfed right off the bat without issue, and my recovery was surprisingly quick - I had no problem strolling around the hospital in a day (the hospital didn't permit me to get up earlier than that).  I climbed stairs as soon as I got home.  I even helped my DH paint our screened in porch while he was on vacation for the first two weeks, while our son slept.

Not trying to start an argument, but I think it would be an eye opener for people to look at the correlation between emergency c-sections and horrible recoveries versus planned/non-emergency ones and their recoveries.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageJanimal:
    imageSheazier:
    imageasyph107:

imageSheazier:
    Several friends in my profession have indicated that they much preferred having a C-section to vaginal delivery.  Recovery was faster for them and labor was more convenient, as it was scheduled and relatively quick.  They were able to get back to work sooner - two of them were able to field client phone calls the day after labor while in the hospital.  Obviously, not all surgeries are the same, but I have heard positive things overall from these particular individuals.  I am taking a childbirth class in two weeks.  Being out of touch with the office for an unpredictable amount of time while going through a vaginal delivery is not in my best interest as far as work is concerned, but I will do it if it is medically necessary.

Your reasons don't seem like enough to make any OB with sense in their brain to allow that. I had an emergency c/s with my first and I am having a planned c/s with this one because of challenges last L & D. It is tough, not as breezy as your friends are describing. I know many women who have had vaginal births and are up and about 10X faster than with a c/s. Hey to each their own but as much as I LOVE my job and like being a planner if you don't have to have your stomach muscles cut wide open and heal from that while caring for a newborn, why would you?

I'm not sure why a doctor would not allow it.  It seems to be something that many women I know have chosen.  In fact, their doctors preferred the convenient scheduling as well.  My husband will be a stay at home dad, so I will be helping him care for the baby as soon as I am able.  There are many things that could go wrong with a vaginal delivery and there are many things that could go wrong with a C-section.  Birth is traumatic and, unfortunately, time-consuming.  I have already had to cancel two business trips because the pregnancy has not gone as smoothly as I would have hoped.  I wish we could all have the right to choose how we would like our bodies treated during this time.  I wish I could decide what is best for me and my situation. 

I find this pretty interesting -- I wonder how many of the women flaming you for wanting to make a choice about YOUR OWN BODY are also prochoice or prolife.

I mean, many of the prochoice women say that while abortion is not right for them, they want to preserve the choice for other women over THEIRS bodies.  But here is another situation where you are wanting to make a choice over YOUR body, and you get flamed.  Anyone else see the correlation?

Anyway, my personal opinion remains that an elective C section isn't a great idea.  For multiple reasons.  That's what I tried to get across.  But ultimately, your body - your choice. 

Flaming someone's choice isn't even a little the same as working to make someone's choice illegal.  Even thinking that the doctor should refuse to do it isn't the same, because all it's saying is that doctors should make decisions based on what they think is safest and in the best interest of the patient(s) - not making it illegal for doctors to perform or women to get.  

She has the right to choose, I have the right to an opinion about her choice, and her doctor has the right to say it's against the oath they took or to take it on- pretty much the same as how I feel about abortion. 

To the OP, I'd agree that best bet for being useful at deal time is to wait it out, since as PP said, it's pretty unlikely that even if your doctor will agree that they'll agree to earlier than 39 weeks (as recommended by March of Dimes, FWIW), which doesn't sound like it'd be all that useful to you, and chances are good that baby will born in January anyway. Plus all of the other reasons that you've been given about why it's probably not a good idea. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

a c-section has a worse recovery, i doubt it will take you less time to go to back to work. i had a vaginal birth and i was good to go the next day. but do what you want. even though my opinion is that it's selfish of you to want to do a c-section for your job. Baby is way more important then your job. thats all =D 

• Options

I didn't have an elective C, but I did have a non-emergency C, after 2 days of pitocin. I think it is absolutely your right to choose. That being said, I found my surgery terrifying. I had a terrible reaction to the epi. (I had labored med free, up until about 4 hours before surgery.) I was shaking, and my blood pressure was on the floor. I was dry heaving, and the anesthesiologist had to hold my puke bucket. I had to be on oxygen, and only got to see my baby for about 30 seconds before they made my H rush him out of the room. H did not get to cut the cord. I did not get to kiss him or hold him when he was all pink and squishy. I can't remember the end of the surgery, because my bp issues caused me to pass out. Fortunately, I did get to hold my baby before anyone (other than H and docs.) I did not get to BF right away. (was not stable enough in recovery.) I ended up with a bladder infection from the catheter, had to take antibiotics, which hurt my babe's tummy.  Also, I only took pain medication stronger than ibuprofen 2x in the hospital, if you are trooper, you can take the pain, and ibuprofen 800 totally did it for me the rest of my recovery time. As long as you take it super easy, recovery isn't awful, but I am sure it is easier if you have a complication free vaginal birth.

I think that you are not going to get the response you are looking for, because I think a lot of women have really complicated emotions when they think back about their C-sections. I know I personally feel A TON of guilt, and disappointment about how my birth went, and it makes me afraid to ever have another child, because I don't know if I will be a VBAC candidate or not, and the thought of another surgery is scary to me.

I would definitely suggest doing a lot more research about possible complications, and not worry about what these slippery snatches have to say. They are so quick to say "It's what was right for our family" but if something is NTS they are going to roast you.

• Options

I did my best to avoid a c-section.

Outside of the celebrity world, it would be hard to find a doctor that will do this surgery unnecessarily.

It took 12 days for me to heal from vaginal birth. My sister had a c-section, and it took her much longer...then her incision opened back up and it turned her world upside down. Her husband had to take extra time off of work. Not to mention, the pain, oh the pain. Cutting through skin and fat and muscle and an organ. I do not see a necessary or even a better-safe-than-sorry c-section (meaning the judgement calls that could go either way) as a failure, but not even attempting a vaginal delivery is sad. I wanted a vaginal delivery b/c a c-section is major abdominal surgery. I did not want to take care of my baby and have to recover from that. I cannot speak for c-section moms, but the v birth was so beautiful. I gave birth to a healthy 9 lb baby and I was so proud. It was hell in the moment, but once she was set on me and she looked up at me I felt so happy and accomplished. I hope your OB sets you straight. Certain events in life are meant to be spontaneous.

• Options
    imagethatgirl84:
    I cannot speak for c-section moms, but the v birth was so beautiful. I gave birth to a healthy 9 lb baby and I was so proud. It was hell in the moment, but once she was set on me and she looked up at me I felt so happy and accomplished.

I had a c-section, and had the same experience... except it wasn't hell in the moment.  I recall joking around with my anesthesiologist and OB in the moments before they lifted him out, actually - I was very focused, and not distracted by pain.  No regrets here.  I also got to snuggle with my baby before I was stitched up.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

OP - go ahead, get your elective c-section. You will find your goal of a quick recovery to get back to work to be a pipe dream.

You OBVIOUSLY have not done research in regards to recovery, risks, etc of c-section vs vaginal delivery. Not to mention health benefits/risks to your baby. There is a REASON that short term disability gives you  medical clearance at 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for c-section.

As someone who is an attorney -- a lead attorney even -- I find your lack of education on the subject astounding. Maybe you're too busy to do basic research?

Elective c-sections are not viable options for physicians who take an oath to "do no harm".

I agree with the PP that by and large, elective c-sections are done by the extremely selfish and celebrities (who are also extremely selfish to do this).

OH, and before you comment....this is in no way bullying. You may be offended, but that is different than bullying. I have no called you any disbaraging names....but this behavior IS selfish. You have sooooo not seen bullying on the Bump if you think this comment is bullying!!!!

• Options

Wow - the high horses in this thread are going to be hard to fall from.

Look, I don't think elective C section is a good idea, I've said that in several posts.  But yo, I think a lot of women posting here are getting pre-term delivery and elective C section confused.  Having the baby too early increases risks to the baby's development and most doctors will not get on board.  Other than medical necessity, there just aren't many circumstances where preterm delivery is ever advisable. 

That's not the same thing as having an elective C section.  An elective C section at 39 weeks should result in a baby with no issues thriving outside the womb.  Yes, there are some increased risks, but generally C sections are considered safe procedures. 

If the OP wants to have a preterm delivery, then she gets the side eye from me for subjecting her baby to a possible NICU stay.  But she didn't say that - she said she wants to schedule her delivery.  So she can be available on the phone.  For what is apparently a VERY big deal to her.  I don't think many posters here are relating that an attorney working on a big deal for months on end is under a great deal of stress, nor how this could affect OP's career in the longterm.  To most of us, work is nowhere near as important as other health considerations but clearly to the OP this is pretty critical. 

( and the obnoxious comment about passing off the baby to the DH was out of line.  My DH is a SAHD and I resent that it is somehow wrong for a man to be a primary caregiver.  He rocks at it so whoever said that can kiss my tuchus too)

If someone posts here how they want a homebirth in their bathrub with a yogi playing a sitar singing Kum Bay Yah and pain meds are of the devil, they are supported in their choice to have a natural vaginal birth and are wished the best of luck they get the birth experience they dream of.  Why should THIS woman be denied the choice of HER birth experience?  I mean, just because the majority of us wouldn't make the same choice, doesn't make her evil.  If she is choosing a safe way to delivery (and this is more about timing than actual delivery porcess) then it's HER choice to make with HER body. 

OP - I still think there are other options for you.  And hopefully with your physician you can come up with a plan (and a plan B!, and plan C!) that can hopefully get you a safe delivery AND hopefully avoid a C section AND still make you available for your deal.  My real opinion is that you have the right to the birth experience you want -- but it would be reckless to make a choice for that experience to happen too early.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am not confused. I understand the difference perfectly. I can also empathize with having a highly demanding career where you are forced to make difficult choices between work and family (not to mention having children in the first place, and how it affects you). I have such a career.

OP has the right to do whatever she wishes within the law, as long as she can get a doctor to agree. Not my body, not my baby. No question.

It doesn't, however, mean that it isn't ill advised for a number of reasons. It also doesn't excuse the lack of research for something clearly so important. It also doesn't mean that, ultimately, her reasons for wanting it will backfire on her, as a C-Section requires more recovery time than a vaginal birth -- under most circumstances (not speaking of the unusual exceptions).

• Options
    I wouldn't have a C-section unless it's an emergency for many reasons but the main one is because a few women I know had one and it got infected. It wasn't a speedy recovery at all for them.
  • Options

Cebs222,

I am in the same boat as you.  I haven't spoken to my doctor about it...but at my last appt. he did say if the baby gets to be too big they will just plan on a c-section.  I want one whether the baby measures large or not.  Many times doctors are off a bit.  My neighbor was 2 weeks early and they measured her baby around 6 lbs., he came out 8 lbs. 6 oz.  I am really, really petite with slim hips and I feel the same as you.  I don't want to go through vaginal labor and have that just to be sent in for a c-section.  I hope my doctor can come up with a good reason to tell my insurance company to it can be a planned c-section.  Other than that...sometime insurance can deny it since it is considered a major surgery.  I understand recovery is usually longer, but I feel a c-section is safer on me & the baby.But I would definately rather have my tummy cut than my vagina. 

After reading a few more postings on this I do want to make it clear that I mean planned c-section by waiting until full term and when the baby is ready...not early.  I just would rather have it already decided that that is what is going to take place, as soon as baby is ready.  I still have months to go and aren't 100% sure on the planned c-section. 

• Options
    I cant stand to see all u women on here trying to tell her not to have an elective C-section. OP--when the pp asked u y u wanted a c-section instead of answering whether or not she wanted to have one, she was baiting u so she could try to convince u not to have a c-section. OP didnt ask if u DONT agree with one. She just asked if u are going to have one. C-sections were designed to pre-empt any complications with labor, so thats bullshit that c-sections are dangerous and unhealthy. Its OPs body, if she wants one, let her have one, she will find out if she wants to go the c/s route for the next time. I personally am having an elective c-section because i have narrow hips, and breech babies and dystochia run rampant thru my family. OP-- My mother had 3 c-sections and so did my grandma and they have the most wonderful pleasant labor/delivery stories and their recoveries were quicker than my other relatives who gave birth vaginally, and neither of them have had incontinence or vaginal floor inadequacy problems....I am also havin an elective c-section because i just cant stand the thought of havin the baby come out of my vagina. i dont care if u other ladies think that is selfish--so mind ur own damn business. its "my fun place" and if i say its an entrance only, its an entrance only. I dont want stitches on my vulva and i dont want to be in pain when i do normal activities like sitting, peeing, pooping, etc. i dont want to have to wear an adult diaper for 6 weeks. I am much more comfortable with the idea of having stitches on my belly, major surgery or not--and really, it cant be that major because nearly 32% of births are c-sections these days. its not like this is some new and taboo elective type surgery that was just invented.
  • Options
    I had an elective c section with my 1st child 3 years ago and I am having a repeat section in the next month.  I work in surgery and have seen so many woman have subsequent surgeries because of prolapse, incontinence, etc.  My doctor and most of the doctors that I work with agree that a c section puts less wear and tear on your body.  My recovery was great and I am happy to chose this route of delivery again.
  • Options
    What the heck are you talking about it's a six week recovery you cant even hold your baby a certain way or carry it or vaccuum it or walk up stairs for six weeks or youll rip your stitches out..plus you have a higher risk of blleding to death no tto mention your stomache muscles are cut into and never will be firm again.Also you will look pregannt still for quite some time as those muscles heal.It feels like your guts are ripping out and tearing when you first have to walk so you dont get a blood clot.Its easier to have natural as you can get up and walk around right away because you can feel your legs you have to wait hours after C section for drugs to wear off oh ya and also you cant poop for a week because your intestines are still alseep so they pump you full of stool softeners so when you finally do go you can and u risk ripping your stiches out with that too,.Also you cant sneez will rip stitches out and you pass clots the size of your fist after a c section.Still want one> your firends embelished the truth ..Some people dont wake up for days because they can feel the docotr cut and have to be pu ton general anestisia wich you wake up much later and miss that forst bonding experience with it.Everyone I know including myself said if they had a C- section the first time they would have never had another baby.Its like having a truck run over your belly. That is why I waited so long to have another baby .You can have a VBAC the only reason one cant is if they have had a Original cut horizontal instead of a bikini cut then you have to have that same type c section everytime.I am having a VBAC ...People will will reply and say they didnt encounter these things bu tremember they are the rare few .They are like those women who go in and only push for like 5 minutes and the baby is born .The rest of us well were not so lucky.
  • Options

Wow, maybe you should get the facts before posting a reply.  This is so far from the truth and not fair to people who are asking for some actual insight.

• Options

I had an elective C-Section, so everyone else who didn't can STFU for a few minutes.

I had a history of fissures, which, if you want to know, are tears in the muscle that controls your anal sphincter.  They're painful.. So painful I can only explain it like this: Imagine someone took a pair of needle-nose pliers, heated them up to red hot, then grabbed your butthole and twisted it.  And they did this every time you used the bathroom and for 15 minutes to an hour afterwards, for three months at a time. Every day.  EVERY SINGLE DAY until the fissures heal. 

I had managed to get the situation under control by the time I became pregnant, but pushing could have possibly caused them to rip again.  Was it guaranteed to happen?  Nope.  But there was a possibility.  I talked to my doctor about it, and while I got the "well, alot of women have rectal problems afterwards" chat at first, I insisted that I know what the pain is like and I cannot take the risk of going through that again.

So I demanded a c/s.  I did my research.  Under controlled, planned c/s conditions, the outcome for babies is at least as good as during a problem-free vaginal birth.  It is a little better, actually, depending on what the researchers considered birth complications.

The problems with the research all the flamers are posting here is that it has traditionally lumped ALL C/S together, so you're looking at babies born in emergency situations after failed labor and other problems along with normal, healthy situations. Let's compare facts to facts before spouting statistics like a poorly-trained parrot.

I've not met one person who has had a C/S under controlled, planned circumstances who hasn't had a great outcome for their child.  I've known many people, including my own sister, whose baby was in distress during labor because it was taking so long.  You don't run the risk of compressed umbilical cords which cause brain damage or infections from inhaled meconium with a c/s. YOUR recovery depends on your physical condition going in.  I exercised up until my 39th week, and was back on the treadmill in 2 weeks, running again in 6.  I have no "flap" and I'm actually down 10 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I have NO problems with incontinence or pain, and my baby is healthy, happy, and smart.

The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that your mental well-being is 75% of what it takes to make it through the early months.  If you are overly stressed or unhappy, it makes the adjustment to the baby really hard, and your baby picks up on this.  If a planned c/s makes your life easier, allows you to have the control you need to be a good mother, it is the right decision.  Being calm, confident, and loving is as important as feeding and cleaning your baby.  Do what you need to do to make this happen.

As for the insurance thing-- my doctor begrudgingly cited the history of fissures as a reason for the c/s, and my insurance covered it.  Yours may not, so be prepared to pay out of pocket or cover a bigger chunk that you would otherwise.  Personally, I think this is a bogus thing with insurance companies because the risks of a planned c/s aren't any higher than a vaginal birth. But w/e.  It is what it is.

Good luck with your birth experience.  Do what the doctors tell you to do, and you'll be fine.

• Options

I had a C-Section with my first, 20 yrs ago & I asked my doc if she she felt ok giving me one this time (now 6 weeks along). The reason I had one in the first place was because my daughter was breach, never "dropped" and was still very active after I had lost all the amniotic fluid. They chose a C-Section for safety purposes. Other than being more groggy from the medicine than I wanted to be, everything went great for me/us. I know what to expect from a C-Section, and I truly haven't felt labor, and don't want to start now.Wink

...and it sounds as if some women are offened by you looking into options, and maybe they are a little scarred by the pain of natural child birth, and are angry they didn't have the "option"? No reason for people to get so judgmental or arrogant. I dont think its any more traumatic for the baby to be cut out of you, verses being squeezed through your body, likely feeling and hearing your pain and intense stress.

• Options

Have you researched the benefits of a vaginal delivery for the baby? C-sections are wonderful for circumstances where the health of the mother and/or baby are in danger, but a vaginal delivery is best for both, and not just the mother's recovery. There is beneficial bacteria waiting for the baby in the birth canal that has been shown to boost babies immune system and make their entrance into our germ-filled world safer.

Also, with a c-section, immediate bonding time with baby isn't an option. You will get to see your LO and then the baby will be whisked away while you are sent to recovery. The immediate skin-to-skin that is so important in babies transition and the ability to immediately breastfeed isn't an option in the majority of c-section cases, as you will need to be stitched up and undergo all post-op procedures. In Dr. Sear's book, "The Baby Book" he talks about the extensive research that has been done on immediate contact between mom and baby. That will most likely be impossible to fully fulfill with a c-section. Even thebump just did a story on how babies become highly stressed when separated from the mother immediately after birth. 

I also think you'll be surprised at how little you will want to think about work once your precious little baby arrives. You are going to want to love on that baby and be close and have all of your attention to every little breath, movement and coo. Those precious moments are something you'll never get back, and recovering from a c-section and closing cases could definitely get in the way of that. I received some great advice a while back and it completely changed my outlook on the arrival of my baby-  Don't try to work your baby into your life, but instead work your life around your baby. This advice has made me a much happier mommy :)

Best of luck to you!   

• Options

imageJocelbug:
    I am also havin an elective c-section because i just cant stand the thought of havin the baby come out of my vagina. i dont care if u other ladies think that is selfish--so mind ur own damn business. its "my fun place" and if i say its an entrance only, its an entrance only.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.  I'm surprised she figured out how to get pregnant.

What an astounding level of immaturity.   

• Options
    I had two fairly large babies (8lbs 21.5 inches and 9lbs 22.5 inches), all natural, vaginally.  No problems :-) I did my Kegal exercises everyday and had minimal tearing with very quick recovery times.   While planning out all aspects of life seems much much much more convenient, an elective surgery is rarely a good choice for your body.  I am due in April with my 3rd and I am very excited.  I am even excited about the fear and hard work of delivering.  it is a magical (painful) special (hard hard hard) event that you will never forget going through and and its sounds crazy but there is a natural release that comes with the ability to push the baby out. My sister had to have a c-section with both of her sons, and I thank god that she had that option because of her narrow hip structure but I know she hated needing to have the surgeries. I urge you to look into all of the options and think about the fact that vaginal child birth is exactly what your body is geared to do! Good luck!
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I choose to have one because I have scoliosis. Not only does my spin curve but also twist.  I could have tried natural, but felt that possible back injury wasn't worth the risk and long term recovery with a new born.
  • Options
    The hemorroids may be related to the vaginal birth and trauma from pushing, but the urinary incontinence is just a side effect of pregnancy.  I never made it to the pushing stage of labor and had a C-section after my labor stalled at 4cm, and I have urinary incontinence too.  It is more due to my not building the strength back up in my abdomen and kegel muscles to control it. 
  • Options

imageSheazier:
    Thank you for your perspective.  Work is my reason as my work is very important to me and my family.  I have been the lead attorney on a major deal that I've been negotiating for the past 5 months.  I am on a team with other attorneys, but I offer a unique industry perspective that the others do not have.  We are close to setting a closing date and, of course, I am due at the end of December - the absolute worst possible time as far as corporate deals are concerned.  Obviously the deal can be closed without me, but I have the best relationship with opposing counsel and it would be beneficial for all sides to have me there, at least on the phone, when papers are signed and clauses are being questioned for the 100th time at 11PM on Dec 31.  It is very important for my client that papers be signed by midnight, Dec 31.  I am due on Dec 30 and I really would like to be able to control the timing of this.  The firm is prepping for my absence and we've been running through things.  I will do whatever is in the best interest of the baby, but it's not like I am asking for some radical birth procedure that's never been done before.  I understand recovery is different for everyone.  Had I been able to predict the future, I would have timed the pregnancy differently!

I'm also a deal lawyer.  I've also been the primary breadwinner, so I get you and where you are coming from.  But you should know that most first time moms have their babies well after their EDD.  The average is 11 days after EDD.  You could go early, but odds are against it.  Wrap your deal, have a glass of champagne, and have your baby a few days later, then take the next 3-6 months off (depending on your firm's policy).

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bump burp.
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"