Breastfeeding
Options

Mastitis - what doctor to see?

Hey all - my LO is 10mo old and started weaning himself off (boohoo!) ...but as a result I woke up this morning with a lump (painful one, too!) ...so I'm guessing it's mastitis - but what doctor should I see? OB/GYN? Primary? Lactation consultant?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Mastitis - what doctor to see?

• Options

I've been to both my PCP and OB for mastitis. Both should be able to prescribe an antibiotic for it.

It might not be mastitis though. It could just be a clogged duct. Do you have any other symptoms beside the hard boob?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    nah...just mega hard boob...and pain...no fever or anything - warm bath helped a bit, but not significantly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mastitis is when you have a clogged milk duct and it gets infected. I had this it was awful it felt like I had the flu 103 degree fever body aches it was horrific.

You probably have a clogged milk duct. For that I would dunk my boob in as hot as you can stand water (i know it sounds silly) and massage plus feed on that side as much as possible.

If it turns to Mastitis and you have a fever call your OBGYN they will prescribe an antibotic its usually a powerful one. My reg Dr wont prescribe anything without my OBGYN so why not go right to the source.

Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"