Trouble TTC
Options

Steroid's effect on sperm?

So it just hit me.  DH was put on steroids for the allergic reaction that's going bonkers since Tuesday (see blog or my post yesterday re: Hospitals & baby births below for more details).  In three months from now is when we'll do the third IUI (first one with injects) that I've been looking forward to ever since this forced break.  Anyone know off hand the effect of Prednisone on sperm?  I know hearing the general "the juice will shrink the balls" thing for body builders...but don't know if that's differant from medical use steroids.  And if only limited use will effect the count.  And if I should have them do a S/A before going ahead with the cycle then or what.  Craaapppp!  Yet another thing with MFI that I now need to think about.  Should we just skip January now and wait another month to be safe?  That means stretching a seven month break into eight! Mutha-trucka!  IF sucks so much!

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
Child Free Now?
S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

Re: Steroid's effect on sperm?

• Options

Sorry Sweetie - I had no idea, but through a bit of googling it looks like Prednisone does affect sperm count:(  I'm not sure how long the effects of steroids last.  You may want to talk to your RE about it. 

IF does suck so much.  "Normal" people wouldn't even have to think/worry about this.  ((Hugs))

• Options
    I've asked our RE about this since DH had been on it roughly 3 months before his SA. She said it's really only anabolic steroids that affect sperm. Prednisone is from a different family of steroids. Maybe if he was on a really high dosage or took it for a long time it might, but just a normal course of it shouldn't. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi Kati!  I'm totally lurking on here, as usual, and decided to do some online hunting for info on this.  I found the prescribing information for prednisone online on drugs.com and it does mention in "other" side effects in the section aimed at doctors (but not mentioned in the consumer section, interestingly): "increased or decreased motility and number of spermatozoa". 

Not sure how to read that -- might actually increase the numbers or could decrease them?  It sounds like it's probably a small risk, and it may not even be an issue by January (unless he's going to be on it for a long time).  I think your idea of getting an S/A before spending all of that money on an injects cycle, is worth talking to the RE about. 

Sorry to hear another possible wrench has been thrown into things by this.  I hope YH is feeling better, at least.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  I searched as well and couldn't find much info.  I'm sure just being on 60mg for 8 days shouldn't be that bad.  And I'll talk to RE about it before starting the injects cycle in january to hear his thoughts before chunking down all that money.

IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Options

I would call your RE (or does DH have a uro?). I'm so type A though and need to cover all of my bases. I'm sure he'll be fine, but in my opinion, better safe than sorry.

Hope he feels better!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Options

I would definitely talk to the RE about it, and FWIW I've read that the spermatogenesis cycle is more accurately 70 days (the three months is rounding up, I guess)... not sure if that helps or hurts based on your cycles and the dates that YH is on the prednisone!

Sorry that this throws a wrench in the gears, like you need something else to stress about!  Ugh!

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• Options
    We're going for iui#3 tomorrow and my husband took prednisone 3wks ago for 10 days following surgey to remove his tonsils! I didn't even think to ask the RE about it! I will re-post Tom after iui with how he makes out. His sperm count and motility are consistently strong so if the numbers drop, we might know why!
    Aug 11 - Nov11: IUI #1,2,3 & 4 BFN
    Jan 12: IVF #1 - BFP!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

@ kobrie01 - like previous posters said, since the sperm coming out now were "born" 70-90 days ago, your H taking anything three weeks ago should not effect his current "crop" of sperm. 

IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"