South Florida Babies
Options

whole milk and vacations

We're planning a couple of getaways within the next few months and I'm not sure what to do about Elise's eating schedule.  Elise's schedule has been the same for several months now. Basically, it's this:

wake-up @ 7ish - milk and breakfast 

10:30 milk and nap

12:30ish lunch

3:00ish milk and nap

6:00ish dinner

8:00 milk and bedtime

Lately, she's been eating more and more at each meal and still drinks about 4 or 5 ounces of milk 4 times a day (sometimes more in her bedtime bottle).  I figure she'll drop a bottle feeding on her own, but I'm not sure if I should help her start that process.  I transitioned her first bottle to a sippy a while ago and meant to do another one by now, but I'm not sure whether to cut out the bottles before each nap or just give her milk with lunch and then a snack between lunch and dinner???

I'm also not sure what to do about carrying around whole milk while on vacation.  I have an insulated bottle tote which I use when we're going out for a little while.  If not I figure she can wait until we get home to drink milk.  But, do most restaurants have whole milk? Should I take a half-gallon with us? How do you keep it cold during long car rides?

Sorry, if these are stupid questions.  She loves to eat at restaurants and eats whatever we're eating so I think that will be helpful while we are out of town with her. But, I'm not sure what to do about the whole milk feedings. 

Re: whole milk and vacations

• Options

My son is a HUGE milk drinker. At about a year he was drinking five sippies a day of milk. Or more. The kid will have bones of steel! :) I'm glad he loved his milk so much, but this made traveling really difficult especially since he is lactose intolerant so I had to bring Lactaid Milk with me (and keep it insulated) since obviously no restaurants would ever have lactose free milk.

The best thing we tried was to introduce him to Soy and Almond milk since they have single serving sizes. He liked both (I would get the vanilla) and he easily interchanged between drinking the Silk brand when we were out during the day (easier to insultate) and then drink his milk from the carton when we were back in our hotel room. Also, in a pinch, you could stop at Starbucks or any other coffee shop while you're traveling in a different city since they always have whole milk (among other options).

Also, the Silk "milks" don't have to be refrigerated, so if they weren't 100% cold, I didn't have to worry about it making him sick.

Hope that is somewhat helpful info! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• Options

I don't think you need to cut out milk. I did milk the same way - in the morning and then before naps - I found it was comforting and soothing before a nap. 

On vacation, I just buy milk, it was one of the best things about switching from formula to milk. I would but milk when I get to where I'm going and keeo it in the hotel fridge.  I agree with Karen about Starbucks and soy milks if you're out, or any fast food place has milk, even if it's 2% milk, don't worry about it. Also, if she doesn't get all 4 milk feeding its ok as long as she doesn't miss it. I find that vacations tend to be more flexible so it's ok if the routine gets switched up a bit and you go with the flow.  

image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's great to hear both experiences!  I was concerned that the doc would tell me she's eating too much and drinking too much milk.  I didnt think of the single servings in the little cartons, but that's a great idea since she can drink from a straw now.  I know WDW has whole milk (I asked, lol), but was wondering what to do if we go on a beacg vacation.  
  • Options

You got some good suggestions! Those individualized organic milks are also very good. They are a bit pricey but I would definitely make the exception on a trip. ;) 

Ethan had a similar schedule as Elise but when he turned 1 we started him in preschool so his schedule changed and he adapted super well to it. Here it is so you have an idea...

7:00am - wakeup

730am - BF

800am - breakfast

1100am - lunch

11:45am - milk (struggling though, he is refusing whole milk)

12-2pm - nap

3pm - snack

6pm - dinner

730pm - BF 

Have fun on your upcoming trips!! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Reading your post makes me feel guilty!  Since M doesn't like milk very much (but adores his solids), I cut out a bottle during the day, so they drink only first thing in AM and then right before bed.

So, yesterday, I substituted their PM snack with a bottle, and they both drank it (A a lot more than M, but that was to be expected).  I'll prob keep doing that for a few more wks.

We are going OOT next month, and to avoid having to buy whole milk and find someplace to warm it while at park, I'm keeping them on formula (powder) for an extra month.  I think it is the easiest for us.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"