January 2011 Moms
Options

9 month stats

18.1 pounds and 27 inches. 30th percentile, consistant growth. Her head is still in the upper 90's, but the doctor see's no reason for concern, and assumes it is genetics at this point. She is behind on a lot of things, but she was 5 weeks early. So really.... it seems we are about a month behind on a lot of things, but then she catchs right up. I am not worried at all, and dont really consider her behind.  Like I said, its been this way all along.

She told me to try to stop using the vacuum noise to put her to sleep at night. Embarrassed and she recommended I try ferber. She wrote out some sort of increment schedule to try.  This week she has been waking up a lot at night, and not falling right back to sleep. Pedi said its possible she relys on the vacuum noise to go to sleep, and when she wakes up in the middle of the night to silence it is upsetting her.

Whitney peed (and I mean, REALLY peed) all over the exam table, and barfed all over the floor. We made quite the impression.

I caved on the flu shot, when H and I had agreed since she is home 75% of the week, and only with my mom and sis, we would not get it. Pedi said that because she is small, if she were me, she would not take any chances.  This pulled at my heart strings a bit. I was a little mad at myself for caving, when I left. I know I did not make a BAD decision,per se...I dunno.

Here's hoping I can get a nap in soon, I am exhausted ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 9 month stats

• Options

Sounds like she is doing pretty good! What things is she behind in? My niece fell asleep to a vaccume or in her swing until she was almost a year sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Good luck if you decide to try ferber, I hope it works well. And any mommy decision you make is a good one! You know best for Whitney.  

Jay was 22lbs and 30in at his appointment and hitting all his makrs.

• Options

Go Whitney!! Big Smile I'm glad everything went well! I think they put too much pressure on us as parents about being ahead or behind on milestones..every kid is different. Everyone grows and learns at their own pace. Whitney is fabulous...Don't worry. (I know that is easy for me to say..but I give myself the same talking to.)

I vote keep the Vacuum going..It works..why fix it. I guess I don't get why pediatricians say stuff like that. We have a noise machine that we bought while I was pregnant for DS..we love it..It helps me sleep better..I am not giving that thing up for anything...At our 6 month appt. our pedi suggested we have DS sleep in his crib in his own room. I said no effing way..he then agreed with me and said do whatever feels right..he sleeps in his crib in our room..I am 100% fine with that. It works for us..

I hope you  get some rest soon!

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejcole32444:

Sounds like she is doing pretty good! What things is she behind in? My niece fell asleep to a vaccume or in her swing until she was almost a year sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Good luck if you decide to try ferber, I hope it works well. And any mommy decision you make is a good one! You know best for Whitney.  

She is not clapping, waving, or making any noises that resemble anything other than a screech. Also, she can not hold her own bottle yet.

Like PP said, they put too much pressure for our LO's to meet certain milestones. All in one week she learned to pull herself up, and also crawl like a maniac. So, that has got to say something!

• Options
    imageRouensDream:

Go Whitney!! Big Smile I'm glad everything went well! I think they put too much pressure on us as parents about being ahead or behind on milestones..every kid is different. Everyone grows and learns at their own pace. Whitney is fabulous...Don't worry. (I know that is easy for me to say..but I give myself the same talking to.)

I vote keep the Vacuum going..It works..why fix it. I guess I don't get why pediatricians say stuff like that. We have a noise machine that we bought while I was pregnant for DS..we love it..It helps me sleep better..I am not giving that thing up for anything...At our 6 month appt. our pedi suggested we have DS sleep in his crib in his own room. I said no effing way..he then agreed with me and said do whatever feels right..he sleeps in his crib in our room..I am 100% fine with that. It works for us..

I hope you  get some rest soon!

She only took about a half hour nap. I was just at the point where I was going to fall asleep, and she woke up. lol. I give up. I hope tonight is a better night. Although H is working a double and wont be home for awhile, he is on vacation after this for 10 days. I plan to sleep! :-)

Also, thanks for the encouragement! We moms definitley have to do what we feel is right.

• Options
    Joaquin was 30th percentile across the board, but we're also on our own curve so pshhh.  I think 28 inches and 18 pounds?
  • Options

imagebroccolitree:
    Joaquin was 30th percentile across the board, but we're also on our own curve so pshhh.  I think 28 inches and 18 pounds?

Whitney just said "Joaquin, don't copy me!!" lol j/k

• Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:

18.1 pounds and 27 inches. 30th percentile, consistant growth. Her head is still in the upper 90's, but the doctor see's no reason for concern, and assumes it is genetics at this point. She is behind on a lot of things, but she was 5 weeks early. So really.... it seems we are about a month behind on a lot of things, but then she catchs right up. I am not worried at all, and dont really consider her behind.  Like I said, its been this way all along.

She told me to try to stop using the vacuum noise to put her to sleep at night. Embarrassed and she recommended I try ferber. She wrote out some sort of increment schedule to try.  This week she has been waking up a lot at night, and not falling right back to sleep. Pedi said its possible she relys on the vacuum noise to go to sleep, and when she wakes up in the middle of the night to silence it is upsetting her.

Whitney peed (and I mean, REALLY peed) all over the exam table, and barfed all over the floor. We made quite the impression.

I caved on the flu shot, when H and I had agreed since she is home 75% of the week, and only with my mom and sis, we would not get it. Pedi said that because she is small, if she were me, she would not take any chances.  This pulled at my heart strings a bit. I was a little mad at myself for caving, when I left. I know I did not make a BAD decision,per se...I dunno.

Sounds like your appointment was similar to ours. Poor babies :(

DD does not clap or wave either. But then again, I haven't really tried to teach her to. We daddy leaves for work at 4:30am, so I'm not sure when exactly she's supposedly to learn to wave bye bye. Our pedi did not ask about either of those milestones though (she asked about crawling, cruising, and babbling), so it's a little weird yours did and considered W behind for it.

We got a 9 month sheet that has some dos and don'ts. One of them said that if baby wakes during the night to check on them but do not pick them up. I think it's common for pedis to start cracking down on sleep habits around this age. I vote for doing whatever's best for your situation. The pedi doesn't have to sleep at your house at night, you do :p

• Options
    I would totally not give up the vacuum!  I always figure that no child goes to college needing to run a vacuum every night.  We are also having major sleep issues here.  We lay her down awake but drowsy and she puts herself to sleep but she still is often times waking up every 3 hours or less.  I don't think it's the vacuum alone doing it.  I think we put too much pressure on the babies/ourselves to sleep through the night even though less than half of babies are doing that.  My LO just had her appointment also.  She was 17.2 lbs and 25.5 inches.  She's a shrimp.  She just started babbling more consistently, I wouldn't worry at all!  She also just started clapping within the last two weeks and doesn't really wave yet. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My pedi didn't even ask about milestones. I thought that to be weird but was so hung up on this flu shot that I forgot to ask him. But FWIW, JT doesn't wave or clap either. And I do both all the time (as do other people around him) so guess he's behind too...or maybe our LO's will do this soon and they aren't behind AT ALL!! LOL (I think it's the latter).

JT is 20.6 lbs and 29.5 inches - 55% for weight and I think 90% height.

I too caved with the flu shot. Not sure why. I called my DH from the exam room and he was like "Well, you do take him to story time" so that did it for me. Oh, that and the dr. recommending it and telling me I made the right decision when I agreed. He didn't pressure me at all but I could read between the lines. Why is there so much controversy? And why am I still second guessing my decision?

As for the sleep, I think the dr. sees the vacuum as an issue simply because she is waking at night. That's not the best for either of you. So when people say don't fix it if it's not broke, some may see the night wakings at this point as "broke". But only you can decide if the night wakings are really an issue  for you. For me, I did sleep training again this week after the tooth and ear infection debacle over the past 2 weeks and I'm glad I did. We are back to somewhat of a routine (more so than even before) but most importantly I'm not rocking and rocking and praying he stays asleep when I put him in the crib. Needed it for my sanity (we use a modified extinction method from Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child...this is what a pedi recommended). GL in your decision...I know it's not easy.

• Options
    imageMrsLynnyD:

My pedi didn't even ask about milestones. I thought that to be weird but was so hung up on this flu shot that I forgot to ask him. But FWIW, JT doesn't wave or clap either. And I do both all the time (as do other people around him) so guess he's behind too...or maybe our LO's will do this soon and they aren't behind AT ALL!! LOL (I think it's the latter).

JT is 20.6 lbs and 29.5 inches - 55% for weight and I think 90% height.

I too caved with the flu shot. Not sure why. I called my DH from the exam room and he was like "Well, you do take him to story time" so that did it for me. Oh, that and the dr. recommending it and telling me I made the right decision when I agreed. He didn't pressure me at all but I could read between the lines. Why is there so much controversy? And why am I still second guessing my decision?

As for the sleep, I think the dr. sees the vacuum as an issue simply because she is waking at night. That's not the best for either of you. So when people say don't fix it if it's not broke, some may see the night wakings at this point as "broke". But only you can decide if the night wakings are really an issue  for you. For me, I did sleep training again this week after the tooth and ear infection debacle over the past 2 weeks and I'm glad I did. We are back to somewhat of a routine (more so than even before) but most importantly I'm not rocking and rocking and praying he stays asleep when I put him in the crib. Needed it for my sanity (we use a modified extinction method from Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child...this is what a pedi recommended). GL in your decision...I know it's not easy.

First of all, thanks for the advice. I will definitley check out the book you recomended.  It almost sounds familiar. I should ask my sister if she has it.

Anyways, regarding what I bolded..I feel the same way. When I was putting her up to bed and thinking how she skipped a meal, felt warm, and was so fussy today (She has never been like this with her vacines) I was thinking if I hadnt gotten her that damn flu shot, today would not have been like this.

On the same token, IF she got the flu, it would be much more nasty than a fussy baby for 10 hours, KWIM.  I don't like make adult decisions. I want to decide if im taking a shower or bath, or what movie to watch, for petes sake. lol

I'm an over analyzer, can ya tell!

• Options
    if she's behind then so is my guy. he's just started to clap a little but it's really unpredictable. he babbles but he's not making words, not waving, not really pulling up yet (he'll kneel but he can't stand-even assisted he just sort of folds in half). and he just started holding his own bottle a little more, still doesn't really do it himself. i think it's so hard to judge where our kiddos should be at this point unless there are some really big flags. like you said, when she gets it, she catches on quick!  and if you're just trying to compare, p just had his 9mn appt yesterday & was 30in long, 24lbs but he's been huge for a while now. your little one sounds right on track to me & she's gorgeous, love your sig pic!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:

I think all kids hit milestones differently. I don't remember my pedi asking about waving and clapping at DS's 9 month appt, and he wasn't doing either then. I think they focus on different things at different times. Like advancing their motor skills may be their main focus for awhile and then they switch to verbal or communication etc. DD isn't waving or clapping yet.

As far as sleep. I have 2 seperate stories for you:

1. When DS was your DD's age we were all about doing anything to get him to sleep. It didn't matter if it took 3 hours of rocking, it broke our hearts to hear him cry. He was a terrible sleeper too, woke up multiple times during the night, needed to be fed, needed to be rocked, held, and frequently wouldn't even go back to sleep. He also liked the vacuum to fall asleep, and I was fine with all of this. At 14 months I just couldn't do it anymore and I was 20 odd weeks pregnant, thinking how am I going to do this with a newborn everynight too? So we did CIO (the right way) and it worked miracles. He slept through the night (12 hours) for the first time ever, and hasn't looked back.

2. With DD I realized we needed something to get her to sleep that wouldn't be so time consuming. My inlaws gave us a video monitor with music on it. So when we lay her down if she isn't completely asleep I turn that music on with the remote. It totally helps her sleep and occasionally she wakes up in the middle of the night I turn it on and it helps her get back to sleep. She's so much better about sleeping than DS, and happier too.

What I've taken with my experience is that I think they can become dependent on you for sleep and it's so much better for them when they know how to get themselves to sleep. I always think how scary would it be for me if I had to have DH there everynight to rub my back to sleep and woke up in a bed all alone without him. I'm pretty sure I'd freak out, wake up and cry too, kwim? (how great would it be if he rubbed my back to sleep everynight though right? ;)

Also love that Whitney made such an impression at the Doctors! I really don't think there's a right or wrong decision with the flu shot. I hope it protects your LO and you can avoid illness this winter. I also think you totally deserve a nap!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:
    imagejcole32444:

She is not clapping, waving, or making any noises that resemble anything other than a screech. Also, she can not hold her own bottle yet.

Like PP said, they put too much pressure for our LO's to meet certain milestones. All in one week she learned to pull herself up, and also crawl like a maniac. So, that has got to say something!

Clapping and waving arent "normal" 9 month milestones most kids have mastered.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"