Illinois Babies

Carseat Install at FD?

HAs anyone gone to a Chicago Fire Department location to have their carseat installed?

Re: Carseat Install at FD?

• We did not but I'm sure they probably are able to. Otherwise you can head to your districts police station.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Call ahead and make sure that they have someone CERTIFIED to inspect car seats, and find out when they're available.  Most fire departments will help you, but if the person helping isn't certified, they don't know any better what they're doing than you do.

Children's Memorial Hospital also does the inspections/installations, but you have to call for an appointment (it's still free).  That's where we got our seat inspected.  We called when I was about 36 weeks, and they didn't have any appointments for 2 weeks!  So make an appointment with lots of time to spare!   Luckily (in this sense...  agh) I didn't deliver until 41 weeks!    

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • You can call the Police Station closest to you too. They should have someone certified.
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We looked into the fire department installing the carseat and were told that the local fire stations do not provide this service.  There is a special unit of the fire department that will do it, but I don't think it was close/convenient to us. 

We ended up having the seat checked through the police station - each police station does have someone certified to check them.  We did have to make an appointment. After the fact, I learned about Childrens Memorial checking carseats -that's probably what we'll do next time.

TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Many of the police stations have "open houses" where anyone can come for a carseat installation.  Otherwise you can set up an appt.  We worked through the neighborhood South Loop Police Station (CAPS) group to get both our infant seat and now Britax put in.  They were great and so helpful and nice!   If you call the station, it is sometimes a headache to find the right person, but once you do, they are very helpful.

Can't sleep? Me either, check out my blog: http://willblogforsleep.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"