Health & Exercise
Options

Gastroparesis & Pregnancy?

So I have had gastroparesis for about a year now and have recently started ttc. My doc says that there is no risk for pregnancy, but I was wondering how other women's pregnancies have gone with gastroparesis and if you have any advice for me. 
My gastroparesis was labeled idiopathic and  very manageable. I have only thrown up a few times and that was before I was diagnosed. I have symptoms of nausea a few times a week (which throws out nausea as a pregnancy symptom). I didn't know if this would help...since each case is different. 

Thanks!

Re: Gastroparesis & Pregnancy?

• Options

I also have idiopathic gastroparesis and I am 6 weeks pregnant.  Before I got pregnant I suffered from flair-ups of extremely bad nausea, acid reflux, upper stomache pain (to where I would literally be knocked on the floor), and trouble maintaining my blood-sugar levels, but I can ussually eat solid foods and I don't normally throw up.  My doctors don't think (so far anyway) that my gastroparesis will affect the pregnancy.  They even said it was alright to continue taking miralax.

I also thought that nausea wouldn't be any different since I'm nausiated most of the time anyway, but morning sickness is definately different from gastroparesis nausea.  You get nauseated for different reasons, and I wake up nausiated when I never used to have nausea in the morning.  But you are right, each case is different.

As far as advice goes... since I am not that far along I am still in the stage of recieving advice, but don't be afraid to eat a cracker or two before getting out of bed, and keep them on hand at all times.  Also, continue eating freaquent small meals and don't be afraid to drink something like ensure to get all the nutrition you and the baby need.  I'll be sure to keep you updated on any tips I come across and any concerns my doctors have because of my gp though.

• Options

Hi,

I too have gastroparesis (mine is due to low stomach acid).  I am in the middle of week 19 and my pregnancy seems to have knocked a lot of my symptoms into remission.  I still have to eat many small meals, but can tolerate a lot more foods than I could before and can eat closer to bedtime.  I have gained about 12 pounds so far (I had been losing weight before and was very worried that I would not be able to gain enough weight to support a baby).  These past two months the weight gain seems to have slowed, but I am not sure why (it looks like everything is ok). 

I would love to share any advice that people get from their doctor as I feel like I am flying my the seat of pants because none of my doctors have ever had a patient with gastroparesis who got pregnant (talk about feeling lonely!) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"