Cleveland Babies

Akron City or General?

I know this has been asked before, but I'm asking again. Which is more preferred? I recently switched doctors so I could be closer to where I live. My original choice was at Robinson Memorial in Ravenna, but the uncertainty of who would be delivering my baby was a problem. I liked Robinson because of their birthing center. You were in the same room from the time you were admitted until the time you were discharged. Neither city nor general offer that experience. Is one more like that than the other. I just dont like the thought of having to be moved from room to room during the whole process. Any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Akron City or General?

• The two hospitals are pretty much on par with each other, and, like anywhere, you'll hear both good AND bad stories about both. IMO, you should tour both, ask tons of questions and see which suits you better. DH and I toured both, and we ended up liking Akron General better. It just felt more welcoming to us and we liked the way things were set up. Akron Childrens hosp runs the NICU (and the main Childrens hospital is right next door, too). If you end up needing that, the proximity can't be beat. We didn't need it, but I felt better having it there. General also has birthing balls available, and at least 2 tubs, if you want that. The food wasn't too bad (for hospital food anyway) either.

Maybe it was different for me because I had a c-section, and this was 3 years ago, but after the c (in an OR), I was in a recovery area of sorts for about an hour? Then, I was moved to the room where I stayed for the rest of the days I was there (c/s, so it was 5 days, IIRC). I didn't feel like I was being constantly moved. It was no big deal to me. Also, the nurses and LC at General encouraged breastfeeding (which I was doing and was successful at for 17 mos) which was great.

BTW, mine was not a planned c/s. I went in there figuring on a regular vag birth experience and hadn't researched the possibility of a c/s at all. In asking your questions, you may want to also find out what Robinson does if you end up needing one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations. Like PP said... you'll hear that both are great. I had a good experience at City... I chose it because they had better security. I was really reaching because I couldn't decide.

• Loading the player...
  • I delivered at General in July and had a great experience.   Honestly, I only choose General because my sister is a doctor in Akron and told me to :).   She didn't really provide any reason, I just took her word for it.  

I was actually in the hospital for several days because I was admitted for monitoring due to decreased fetal movement.  I spent 3 days in the perinatal unit and then they decided to induce me.

I did have to switch rooms, but it wasn't a big deal.   I delivered in the Labor and Delivery unit and then about 1.5 hours after delivery they took LO to the nursery and to get checked out and during that time they moved us to the postpartum unit.   

In my opinion, a lot of your experience depends on your nurses and I loved mine!    

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been trying to make the same decision.  After AGMC terminated all LPN's I thought much more about City.  Then, I found out insurance pays a lot more for AGMC, so I am back to that for now.  My brother's 4 lb premie twins were born there and they received excellent care.  As noted by another poster, it is also right next door to Children's Hospital, which is a huge plus as far as I am concerned.  City is only a few minutes further, but sometimes when there is an emergency those few minutes may matter.  (hopefully not an issue at all though!)  On the AGMC website, it says there is a Baby Fair next Sat (NOvember 7).  I plan to go to that and peek around.  Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine with either decision!  P.S. my OB/GYN says both hospitals are pretty equal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"