School-Aged Children
Options

Should I have punished DS?

So DS came home from school yesterday letting me know he got in trouble. Apparently he gave his best friend the middle finger. Now this is not something DH, I or his grandma have taught him, but he is exposed to a lot of kids at school who's parents just don't care. When I asked him why he did it he said he was playing and didn't know it was bad. Because this was his first offense I gave him a stern warning not to do it again and that's not a nice way for good boys to play. Should I have done more?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Should I have punished DS?

• Options
    I would have handled it the same way. It actually sounds like something my son would do.

Mommy to DS#1 7/1/04 and DS#2 6/15/07
    M/C 2/16/10 at 9wks 5 days~ D&C 2/18/10
    BFP#4 5/17/11 C/P.    
    BFP#5 11/30/12 Surprise! DS#3 born 7/29/13

• Options

I wouldn't have done more.

However, now he knows.  He should ALSO know that if he doesn't know what something means / represents, he shouldn't do it, so that he does not automatically get a "free pass" the next time he does something similar. 

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt on this the first time.  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    It was probably just something that he saw for the first time and didnt really understand. I wouldnt have handled it any other way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My DD is the same age and I would have done the same thing.
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"