Illinois Babies

New here - day care question

Hi Chicago Moms!

I am currently a Philly mama who will be relocating to Chicago this upcoming summer due to DH's job.  DD will be turning 2 when we move.  Looking for advice on day cares:

1. Need reco's for a good day care near Lincoln Park (Old Town, Gold Coast are fine, too) - will likely be living in Old Town and commuting south to Loop
  2. How long are the wait lists?  We're not moving until July 2012, but should DD be on a wait list already?
  3. What's a good price for full-time day care for a 2-3 year old?  In Philly, this should cost around $1000/month but I have a feeling Chicago will be more like $1400/month... is that accurate?

Any advice you could provide would be helpful as I'm obviously a novice when it comes to Chicago day cares. Stick out tongue

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New here - day care question

• I'm not sure for an older child, but I'd think it would be a good idea to find out about waiting lists soon.  Northside Parents Network is a super busy Chicago parent forum-you'd find a lot more day care info there.  There's a fee, but it was totally worth it for us when starting the daycare/pedi/everything else search.

And I think $1400/month should be accurate? We were doing suburban daycare for an infant, so I'm not quite up to speed for a toddler.  GL with your move!

BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 2 yr old DD goes to daycare in the city (Lakeview), and the rate for her this year is around $1,500.  We looked at other places that were even more expensive. :(

ETA:  Ditto PP on Neighborhood Parents Network.  It was very helpful when we were looking for daycares.  Worth the fee.  npnparents.org

TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely look into joining a neighborhood list-serve as quickly as you can and inquire about recommendations in the area!  We visited 10 before we were comfortable with the one we chose...and luckily there weren't many with waitlists (I think it is mainly due to the slow economy so either moms decide to stay home or don't have a choice).

Also, a good site /FB group to research is KickSprout.  They have meetups in the city and all kinds of options for meeting other parents. 

2YO are about 350 or so a week, depending on the location and type (certain schools are much more expensive, etc...).  I am in the South Loop, and here there is a small public school option that is ridiculously low...I think less per month than I pay in a week! but not sure if that exists anywhere else and usually only available to 3YO and up...

Best of luck and you will LOVE Chicago and the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area!

Can't sleep? Me either, check out my blog: http://willblogforsleep.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"