Postpartum Depression
Options

Hello & a ?

Hey all!! I have been posting more on the toddler board than anywhere but had a question for you ladies that have dealt with Postpartum...I guess my main question is now that I am pregnant with #2 does that automatically mean I will end up with Postpartum?

I am in a very different place in life than a year ago & there were lots of other factors that had a hand in my depression that are now not an issue...I'm wondering now if it was those factors that lead to my Postpartum or simply that it amplified it greatly? & is there any ways to prevent Postpartum? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hello & a ?

• Options

Well, I only have one kiddo, but I can share what I remember my doctor saying...

Now that I've had PPD, I am at higher risk for having it again.  There is no gaurantee that it will happen with a second child, but chances are I'll get hit with depression some other time in my life.

Not very encouraging, however there is no guarantee that you will have it the second time around! (I hope you don't!)    I haven't heard of any prevention, but having had it before, you should be well in tune to look for the warning signs if it comes back - and be able to get treatment if needed.

Congratulations and good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

Typically women who have had some kind of PPD/PPA with their first children are more susceptible with their subsequent children. That being said, your doctors should be judging it on a case-by-case basis. Occasionally they will start you on medication early to try to head off the problem from happening again. The choice, though, is ultimately up to you.

It's just really, really important to seek medical advice before making a decision about something like this. If you choose to wait and see, make sure your doctors are all aware of this and that you have a good support system and close eyes on you to see how things are playing out.

I hope you don't get PPD again! It sounds like you might have a chance of not having it again and i do hope you don't :D 

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"