Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Have you turned the car seat around?

2»

Re: Have you turned the car seat around?

• Options

imageshakes:
    I'm not there yet, but starting to consider it. DS is 2 pounds from the 35 pound RF weight limit, and close to height limit as well. I don't care about folding legs or not, no big deal, but RF isn't so safe if baby exceeds weight limits. I still dont know.

holy smokes your kid is huge! DS only weighs 21 lbs and is about 29".  He'll be RF till at least baby #2 (24 months) and if I can fit them both RF then he'll remain.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    Nope, and we have no intention of turning him around anytime soon.  DS is almost 21 months, about 32" tall, and about 25 pounds, so we think he'll fit within the RF height/weight guidelines for a long time still.  Hopefully until he's at least 3 years old, but we'll see.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGPGIRLY:

imageJ+MS:
    Hell no. And doing so because "you're a professional driver" or because its just a "rec not the law" makes you sound so incredibly stupid.

I am praying the comment about being a prodriver was sarcasm...We are thinking about turning around DS soon. He has an appt with the pedi Monday and I want to see what his height and weight is. I keep hitting my head getting him in and out of the car. Not to mention I bruise easily...so I look like I got into a fight or something most of the time. :) Yes I am clumsy! 

i had to go google internal decapitation after i read this thread. that is some scary ***. i plan on keeping ds rear facing as long as possible, even though i was also a professional driver. i delivered pizzas.

• Options
    I don't plan on turning the seat around until LO reaches the max height/weight limits for rear facing.
  • Options
    imageANJ410:
    DD is still rear facing, but it is getting very cramped for her that way.  I have a feeling once a winter coat and bulky boots come into play, which will probably be sometime between the middle of next month and the first few weeks of December, I will have to turn her around.
    Not trying to sound snarky, but how would a bulky winter coat interfere with RF?  Coats aren't even supposed to be worn when buckled in.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options

imageMrsLacy:
    imageANJ410:
    DD is still rear facing, but it is getting very cramped for her that way.  I have a feeling once a winter coat and bulky boots come into play, which will probably be sometime between the middle of next month and the first few weeks of December, I will have to turn her around.
    Not trying to sound snarky, but how would a bulky winter coat interfere with RF?  Coats aren't even supposed to be worn when buckled in.

I'm not trying to be snarky either, but the temps here can dip as low as the single digits in the winter.  Who in their right mind is going to take a child out without a winter coat????

My son has worn a coat every year since he was one and DD wore one last year and I have never had a problem pulling the carseat straps tight and secure against their bodies. That is another topic though.

The reason I may turn DD around once she starts to wear a coat and boots is because she is already sitting with her knees bent up towards her chest and she has to cross her feet for her legs to fit.  She is going to marinate in her own sweat if I make her sit all squashed up like that in heavy boots and a down filled coat.

I say I may turn her around at that point because I haven't seen yet how cramped she will be.  It might be fine, but if its bad, I plan to turn her around. She will be 20 months old and she already weighs 26 lbs and is 32 inches tall, which is a lot bigger than most kids are around here when they get turned around. I am literally the only person I know who still has a rear facing child over 12 months.

• Options

Yes.  I switched from her infant seat to the convertible the day after her 1 yr appt. since she was over 20 pounds.  I drive a tiny two door car and could barely get the infant seat into the backseat without hurting ourselves.  So yes.  She's been FF for 5 months now and the pedi said it was just fine to do so.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKitiara0364:

imageadelepickle:
    When he was 18lbs...he was too long to sit backwards. It is only a recommendation to keep the seat turned around, not a law.

Be careful saying that or someone will link you the internal decapitation video. C is over 31 inches, and outgrew his infant seat at 6 months. We got a new convertible that can RF up to 35lbs, and he just curls up his legs or straddles the seat some already so will continue doing that as he gets taller. We wont take any chances with the crazy drivers here. And at 18lbs, C was only 4 months old and could not sit up well yet.

This. DS was 18lb3oz at 4 months. And the LAW states rear facing until 20 pounds AND one year. DS out grew his infant seat at 5 months, but we rear-faced until 15 months. And he is over the 100%ile for height and weight. We could still RF, but just chose not to. DS is 34lb so he's almost at the weight limit.

I just want you to know that the height BS doesn't make a good excuse. DS was 31 1/2 inches tall when we stopped RF, which is pretty long. And some people RF a lot longer than that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just turned his seat around today, actually. He's 18 1/2 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageANJ410:

imageMrsLacy:
    imageANJ410:

I'm not trying to be snarky either, but the temps here can dip as low as the single digits in the winter.  Who in their right mind is going to take a child out without a winter coat????

My son has worn a coat every year since he was one and DD wore one last year and I have never had a problem pulling the carseat straps tight and secure against their bodies. That is another topic though.

The reason I may turn DD around once she starts to wear a coat and boots is because she is already sitting with her knees bent up towards her chest and she has to cross her feet for her legs to fit.  She is going to marinate in her own sweat if I make her sit all squashed up like that in heavy boots and a down filled coat.

I say I may turn her around at that point because I haven't seen yet how cramped she will be.  It might be fine, but if its bad, I plan to turn her around. She will be 20 months old and she already weighs 26 lbs and is 32 inches tall, which is a lot bigger than most kids are around here when they get turned around. I am literally the only person I know who still has a rear facing child over 12 months.

Turning her around is fine; she's old enough.  But here is some insight, and solutions, on wearing bulky coats in the car seat:

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29772 

• Options
    imageANJ410:

imageMrsLacy:
    imageANJ410:

It's cold here in the winter too, and DD has never worn a winter coat in the car. When she was rfing, we took her boots off in the car anyway. If you want to turn her, then turn her. You dont need to use winter as an excuse.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    imageAngela814:
    imageANJ410:

imageMrsLacy:
    imageANJ410:

It's cold here in the winter too, and DD has never worn a winter coat in the car. When she was rfing, we took her boots off in the car anyway. If you want to turn her, then turn her. You dont need to use winter as an excuse.

First off, I am not using winter as an "excuse".  I don't want my daughter squashed in her seat, roasting to death, so that is why I will turn her around if I feel that she will be extremely uncomfortable. My child, my choice....if other people want to leave their child RFing until they drive them up to college, then that is fine for them.  I don't need an "excuse" to turn mine around when I feel its time to do so.  I am not doing anything wrong.

Secondly, if you choose not to put your LO in a coat, that is a great choice for YOU. I live in the suburbs of NYC where you sometimes have to park several blocks away from a location and then walk in the freezing brutal cold to get to it. My kids will be wearing winter coats.

• Options
    I plan to keep DS RF in my car until 2, then turn him before the baby comes. We will probably have to turn him in DH's car sooner because he's probably going to reach the height limit on that seat before 2.
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD1 was rfing to 2.5 years, 32 lbs, and 39-40". She outgrew our seat by height. DD2 is 15 months and about 25-26 lbs and 32". I think with the seats we have, she should be able to rf to close to 3 years.

Oh, and the rfing to 2 years recommendation isn't really new. The carseat manufacturers always recommended rfing to the limits of the seat, which takes most kids past 2 years. The AAP just finally put out an official recommendation.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    imageANJ410:

Secondly, if you choose not to put your LO in a coat, that is a great choice for YOU. I live in the suburbs of NYC where you sometimes have to park several blocks away from a location and then walk in the freezing brutal cold to get to it. My kids will be wearing winter coats.

No one said that they don't have a winter coat for their DC. Of course we have winter coats in the car, they just aren't worn in the carseat. If we have to walk a ways after parking, then we put coats on in the car before we get out. I don't think it's that hard of a concept to understand.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

imageshotzie:
    DD's car seat RF's up to 35 lbs, which will be well past age 2. We're going to keep her RF'ing as long as possible.

Same... She's a tall girl, too... but it gives me peace of mind :) And it doesn't bother her... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageAngela814:
    imageANJ410:

No one said that they don't have a winter coat for their DC. Of course we have winter coats in the car, they just aren't worn in the carseat. If we have to walk a ways after parking, then we put coats on in the car before we get out. I don't think it's that hard of a concept to understand.

Again, glad that is a great concept for YOU, but I am not going to dress and undress two kids in the backseat of a car everytime we get in and out, which is a minimum of four times a day, taking my son to and from school and then go back again to pick him up. Many times we run several errands throughout the day as well.  I think I will be able to live with myself if I let them wear their coats in the car.

After eight years of posting on these boards, it always amazes me how other people get so up in arms about a total strangers life. Simply amazing....

• Options
    With my first we didn't turn her until 20 months when she outgrew the height limit for RFing on her carseat.  We don't plan on turning this one until she too outgrows the height limit.  Thankfully she's been shorter than her sister so we will hopefully make it to 2!
  • Options
    imageANJ410:
    imageAngela814:
    imageANJ410:

Again, glad that is a great concept for YOU, but I am not going to dress and undress two kids in the backseat of a car everytime we get in and out, which is a minimum of four times a day, taking my son to and from school and then go back again to pick him up. Many times we run several errands throughout the day as well.  I think I will be able to live with myself if I let them wear their coats in the car.

After eight years of posting on these boards, it always amazes me how other people get so up in arms about a total strangers life. Simply amazing....

And to me it's not really about you. At all. It's about all the people reading who are going to decide that because they live in a cold weather state, they need to put their DC in a winter coat in the carseat when it's just not safe to do so. I learned a lot on these boards when DD1 was young, and I don't want other people to have the wrong information.

Bottom line is, bulky winter coats in a carseat are dangerous. That's it.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

I'm a professional driver so my children are safe in the car at all times.

What? Didn't you know that means I have a super futuristic spacetastic force field around my car?

:snort:

I am Turkey Lurkey... b/c it sounded better than Cocky-Locky.
  • Options
    imageAngela814:

And to me it's not really about you. At all. It's about all the people reading who are going to decide that because they live in a cold weather state, they need to put their DC in a winter coat in the carseat when it's just not safe to do so. I learned a lot on these boards when DD1 was young, and I don't want other people to have the wrong information.

Yes  

• Options

DD rear-faced until 2. She then rear-faced again for a few months once she turned 3. She still fits perfectly, and she is around 37" and 29lbs.

DS is obviously still rear-facing as well. He is about 32" and around 25lbs, maybe? Maybe more. He is fine, and he will be rear-facing until at least 2, unless he hits the 35lbs weight limit before then, which is highly possible.

My brother just texted me today regarding this. My nephew is 16 days younger than DS and just weighed in at 30lbs, so they were wondering when to turn him. I talked them into waiting until he hits at least the 35lb weight limit of his seat, which they seem to be fine with.

Honestly, unless my child is projectile vomiting, then I would not turn them before then. If my DD still fits rear-facing at 37" then I don't see how a 13 month old can't. It is obviously a personal decision, but if we were in an accident and something happened, I would feel guilty not doing everything I could to make sure they were better protected.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Still rear facing and I'm not sure when I will turn her.  I haven't thought about it since the last bump post about this topic.  I switched my first after 18 months so maybe I'll feel like doing it around then-who knows.

While we're talking about it...how many people do you know IRL who are keeping their kids rear facing til 2?   

• Options
    imageMrsLacy:
    imageAngela814:

Yes  

I agree. What everyone may not know is that bulky winter coats can compress in an accident and the child can be ejected from the seat because the straps aren't tight enough. And no, there is no way anyone can leave the straps as tight as they would if their child was in a regular shirt, and then not loosen them with a fluffy winter coat. It just can't happen. No one is arguing that people can't do what they think is best for their kids. Do what you want, but the fact is, it is still unsafe, or there wouldn't be all the research out there to prove this. I live in upstate NY, so believe me, I know what cold is. As long as my son is in a carseat he will wear a car seat poncho. The thing is warmer than any coat I have ever seen. No taking the coat on and off, and no one gets cold. Just a thought for any of you ladies that are looking for a warmer, less bulky and safe solution. Here's where I got mine: 

https://www.carseatponcho.com/ (sorry if it's not linky)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope... DS just turned one 2 days ago and we're hoping to make it to 2 years before we turn him around... He is big for his age but he doesn't seem to uncomfortable sitting rear facing for now. 
  • Options
    Izzy will rear-face until she is 12, thanks to this.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    imagewife1014:

Still rear facing and I'm not sure when I will turn her.  I haven't thought about it since the last bump post about this topic.  I switched my first after 18 months so maybe I'll feel like doing it around then-who knows.

While we're talking about it...how many people do you know IRL who are keeping their kids rear facing til 2?   

I know of 4 people IRL and that is it, but that is 4 more than I knew when DD was this age. So, word is getting out. I have no idea if they will last that long, but they have at least said they are willing to try.

Honestly, it is an easy decision for me, because I have been in several car accidents. I started to think about how bad my neck hurt in the 2 accidents that I have been rear-ended in, and thought about how that would affect a 1 year old, and it literally made me sick. My neck hurt so bad, and I was in my 20's then. I can't imagine my baby being in the back seat.

I had someone tell me when DS was 10 months old or so that he should be foward facing, because he was clearly too big to be rear-facing. Her son was forward facing and he was easily 2 months younger than my DS. It made me sick. 

I think people are too quick to judge and say that their child is squished, uncomfortable, etc. My DD still loves to rear-face, and I honestly think it is because the is much more comfortable reclined than sitting up and having no where to put her legs. It is extremely hard to get her in the car rear-facing now (the way our doors are) or I am sure she would still rear-face.

In the end if you foward face, and something happens to your baby, you have to live with that decision and not me.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DS is 18 months and is a BIG boy. Literally "off the charts" for height and in 75 percentile for weight. He's still RF. 
  • Options
    imagezeadfly:
    The car seat poncho looks awesome, thanks for the link.
    I'm ordering two!
  • Options
    imagewife1014:

lol, none.  And we have some firneds who have babies and toddlers right now.  That's why I find this discussion every few months so entertaining.

• Options
    imagewife1014:

Zero.

And while I'd like to turn Ryan and I think he'd be a much better car rider facing forwards, we plan to keep him RF for quite some time. He's not at the weight/height limits yet, so I'm not turning him. I'm not going to say 100% that I will wait until 2 or later, because I  don't know for sure, but I know that at 12 months it's not something we are considering at all.

• Options
    DS is still rear-facing (22 months old) and we'll keep him that way as long as possible. IRL, pretty much everyone we know keeps their kids RF.
  • Options
    imageJake's Mom:

We did when he was 12 months. He has a swivel car seat though, it does 360 on the base. So it was one click.

He prefers to watch TV while we drive.

I also am a professional driver with over a million miles logged on the road, so I feel fine turning him around. (flame away)

ITA, no flames here!

DS has been FF since 13m. He was too tall to get in the seat without a fight, and it wasn't worth him hating the car. I was more concerned about his bent, twisted legs than I was a bad car accident. My kid, my decision!

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJ+MS:

Both of my kids still RF, so this isn't a challenge to that whole debate, but I'm honestly wondering where in this story you've linked to does it say that little boy was FF?

• Options
    imagecharmgal:

imageJ+MS:

Both of my kids still RF, so this isn't a challenge to that whole debate, but I'm honestly wondering where in this story you've linked to does it say that little boy was FF?

you're right. it says he was jolted sideways, so i'm guessing neither position would matter much in that case. i found this earlier, and it's got a good explanation of the thinking as well as awesome scandinavian illustrations.

• Options
    imagemeghann0409:
    imageJake's Mom:

We did when he was 12 months. He has a swivel car seat though, it does 360 on the base. So it was one click.

He prefers to watch TV while we drive.

I also am a professional driver with over a million miles logged on the road, so I feel fine turning him around. (flame away)

ITA, no flames here!

DS has been FF since 13m. He was too tall to get in the seat without a fight, and it wasn't worth him hating the car. I was more concerned about his bent, twisted legs than I was a bad car accident. My kid, my decision!

HA!

Because bent twisted legs can totally kill a child but bad car accidents, meh..he'll be just fine.

Nice logic dipshit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"